Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Well let’s not forget that API and Wakeham were the Fiji halves in the WC so maybe a reunion.
Think I would have preferred Douehi and Moses - the Cedars connection, but not to be !
Really feel for Api atm but reckon he would do a job for us if Sheens asked, he seems like a lead from the front type of captain. Why Sheens waited to get him back on the pitch till 15 min left in the second half iv no idea.

I was thinking the same. Or does he despise the club like so many other ex-players? Did the club sack him when he was charged with DV?
Yeah, he was charged...
I'd say there was no choice.

But then he said his name was cleared?

I see a bit of Fox to his game and he's carving up NSW cup.

Here is a bit of a summary of our top 30 numbers based on what we know as fact & which identified juniors are likely to progress. In my opinion, our aggressive recruitment drive is for 5-6 external players of which 2 need to be halves, reasoning below ...

Current Squad: 29

Departing end of season: Luke Brooks, Tommy Talau (2)

Incoming juniors into top 30 for 2024: Josh Feledy, Brandon Mansfield, Lachlan Galvin (3)

Off-contract 2023: Brandon Wakeham, Lomi Saukuru, Charlie Staines, Tuki Simpkins, Alex Seyfarth, Daine Laurie (6)

Summary: That leaves us with 24 contracted players for 2024.

Opinion #1: We will re-sign Charlie Staines & Alex Seyfarth.

Opinion #2: We will also progress Tallyn Da Silva & Chris Fa'agutu into top 30 for 2024.

Update: That gives us 28 contracted players & the room to sign 2 players.

Opinion #3: Our priority external signings are 2 halves - a directional experienced halfback and a running/ball-playing 5/8.

Update: That will take us to our maximum 30 players.

Opinion #4: We are significantly depleted in experienced outside backs who are good defensively, decent IQ levels and provide energy & effort.

Opinion #5: We allow the following contracted players to explore other opportunities telling them they will get a greater opportunity at First Grade elsewhere - Asu Kepaoa, David Nofoaluma & Jake Simpkin. (Note: Depending on the negotiations with the Fainu brothers, if they decide on Redcliffe, I'd be allowing Sione Fainu to depart as well)

Update: That takes our squad to 26-27 and the ability to recruit 3-4 external players.

Opinion #6: We will progress 4 juniors into top 30 for 2025 - Kit Laulilii, Luke Laulilii, Jordan Miller & Solo Saukuru. (Note: I think the highly touted Onitoni Large will be development in '25 to top 30 in '26.)

Update: We have 10 players off-contract 2024 - Adam Doeuihi, Brandon Tumeth, Triston Reilly, Rua Ngatikaura, Shawn Blore, Starford T'oa, Junior Tupou, Alex Twal, Api Korisau (mutual option) & Stef Utoikamanu (mutual option).

Opinion #7: We have probably identified Doueihi, Reilly & Ngatikaura to be released to allow our juniors to progress into top 30 in '25. Will likely need to offload maybe a 1-season external recruit from the year before to create enough space.

FINAL COMMENT: This is a perfect world analysis and does not factor in injuries, players asking for a release and other WT juniors progressing faster than anticipated. So in my opinion, we will look to recruit 5-6 players for next season which includes 2 halves and at least 1 other player on just a 12-month contract. I can understand why we are now in an aggressive & vigorous recruitment period now because future years will be focused on retention & progressing our juniors into the squad.

Here is a bit of a summary of our top 30 numbers based on what we know as fact & which identified juniors are likely to progress. In my opinion, our aggressive recruitment drive is for 5-6 external players of which 2 need to be halves, reasoning below ...

Incoming juniors into top 30 for 2024: Josh Feledy, Brandon Mansfield, Lachlan Galvin (3)

Off-contract 2023: Brandon Wakeham, Lomi Saukuru, Charlie Staines, Tuki Simpkins, Alex Seyfarth, Daine Laurie (6)

Opinion #2: We will also progress Tallyn Da Silva & Chris Fa'agutu into top 30 for 2024.

Opinion #3: Our priority external signings are 2 halves - a directional experienced halfback and a running/ball-playing 5/8.

Opinion #4: We are significantly depleted in experienced outside backs who are good defensively, decent IQ levels and provide energy & effort.

Opinion #5: We allow the following contracted players to explore other opportunities telling them they will get a greater opportunity at First Grade elsewhere - Asu Kepaoa, David Nofoaluma & Jake Simpkin. (Note: Depending on the negotiations with the Fainu brothers, if they decide on Redcliffe, I'd be allowing Sione Fainu to depart as well)

Update: That takes our squad to 26-27 and the ability to recruit 3-4 external players.

Opinion #6: We will progress 4 juniors into top 30 for 2025 - Kit Laulilii, Luke Laulilii, Jordan Miller & Solo Saukuru. (Note: I think the highly touted Onitoni Large will be development in '25 to top 30 in '26.)

Update: We have 10 players off-contract 2024 - Adam Doeuihi, Brandon Tumeth, Triston Reilly, Rua Ngatikaura, Shawn Blore, Starford T'oa, Junior Tupou, Alex Twal, Api Korisau (mutual option) & Stef Utoikamanu (mutual option).

Opinion #7: We have probably identified Doueihi, Reilly & Ngatikaura to be released to allow our juniors to progress into top 30 in '25. Will likely need to offload maybe a 1-season external recruit from the year before to create enough space.

FINAL COMMENT: This is a perfect world analysis and does not factor in injuries, players asking for a release and other WT juniors progressing faster than anticipated. So in my opinion, we will look to recruit 5-6 players for next season which includes 2 halves and at least 1 other player on just a 12-month contract. I can understand why we are now in an aggressive & vigorous recruitment period now because future years will be focused on retention & progressing our juniors into the squad.
Faagutu is among our very best juniors, if not the best. He shone in the U19s game - incisive runs, quick play the balls, backing up and excellent defensive technique. When NSW made that break it was Faagutu who came from behind to knock the ball out of the hands of the attacker. I think he will be a great 13.

Tigers need to recruit an entire backline outside of fullback. Tupou has promise but he’s hit a wall and needs a spell. Kepoa, Toa, Naden, Nofa, Talau are all too inconsistent. Our halves are not first grade standard either. Teams just go wide as there is no point battling our forward pack when we have weak links out wide.
While I agree is some aspects I think we are being a bit harsh on our outside backs. Bula can look good because he isn't as reliant on the others to make decisions and execute based on what the inside man does.

As maligned as Brooks is he really sets the backline defence. Since he has been out our ability to defend against basic plays has gone. This says a lot about our halves as the decisions they make regularly leave our wingers dealing with a 1:2 or 1:3 decision to make. That can be dealt with if you have good cover (which we don't) and why Bula's efforts at the back in defence are so crucial.

Throwing Api out there to fix the halves problem is futile. His defence in the halves is just as bad as he isn't conditioned to being there. Could he adapt? Sure, in time.

Get Brooks back and he will address one edge. Naden in for TT will also stiffen our defence. Until we recruit a decent 6/7 combination we will continue to struggle. It will take some work to get confidence into our backline after the last few weeks.

Great summary, agree with everything you have stated.
What I would add is we have somewhere between 6-8 contracted players we need to hopefully get rid of ASAP and replace them with recruits that can improve our deficiencies.
If that is not done we run last again in 2024 without a shadow of doubt.

While I agree is some aspects I think we are being a bit harsh on our outside backs. Bula can look good because he isn't as reliant on the others to make decisions and execute based on what the inside man does.

As maligned as Brooks is he really sets the backline defence. Since he has been out our ability to defend against basic plays has gone. This says a lot about our halves as the decisions they make regularly leave our wingers dealing with a 1:2 or 1:3 decision to make. That can be dealt with if you have good cover (which we don't) and why Bula's efforts at the back in defence are so crucial.

Throwing Api out there to fix the halves problem is futile. His defence in the halves is just as bad as he isn't conditioned to being there. Could he adapt? Sure, in time.

Get Brooks back and he will address one edge. Naden in for TT will also stiffen our defence. Until we recruit a decent 6/7 combination we will continue to struggle. It will take some work to get confidence into ourbackline after the last few weeks.
The winger Kirk and centre Feledy have scored many tries on the left in Flegg. Feledy has the hands of a good centre, being able to put his fast winger into space. It's reflected in their try tally. It is a skill lacking in Talau's game despite being a former Aust Schools 5/8.

Yep. Two fast wingers would make a massive difference. Maybe Tupou can fill one spot but he isn't real quick. We desperately need Staines in the team.
While I agree that a couple of decent wingers would be an asset the speed we lack is at 6 and 7. Smith and Wakeham, in attack and defence, are too slow. It starts there and is amplified the further out you go.

I would be absolutely fuming if we signed that big mouthed prick.
NSW won game 3 tonight because they finally dropped this turd.
100% disagree if it's about Jerome Luai

Awesome player, yes not a NR7 but a hell of a 5/8. seemed to be involved in every Penrith try for a few games. Cleary had a huge advantage in being a halfback as he could step back and let Luai run from the front, getting his kicking game right.

I think we will see 2-3 new young faces from the juniors taking their place in the 1st grade side next year.

Faagutu could be #13 tomorrow in many ways. Feledy can't be too far away given the competition in front of him. Da Silva is pretty much level pegging Simpkin already.

WeI’d like to see some aggressive recruitment for a professional to take that idiots fedora off with his head still in it.
We made our forwards a strong group, but forgot our side gates, our opposition avoids the middle and just comes through either side,

Now we need to get rid of another bunch of players, the backs The 2 thru to 7 soon as we can find decent players to fill the spots. Fingers crossed people, this is becoming bloody painfull.

I agree that's fundamentally what it is. I would love to see the latest Left vs Centre vs Right tries conceded stats, because I don't think we've let in many tries up the guts (1 ordinary one last night).

Competing in the middle and making metres down the middle are not our major concern, in fact I think we are on a very good trajectory to compete with most forward packs in the comp with a rotation of Stefano-Api-Klemmer-IP-Bateman-Pole-Blore-Twal... Seyfarth does a job, but I'd want one more decent prop to sub in (that being said, two weeks in a row the injection of Blore and Twal turned our energy around into half-time).

But as soon as the opposition shifts and we get caught out - we won't win another match until that gets fixed. You can't just have the Knights halves running sideways to get the ball out to Ponga, then we panic and the winger scores in the corner. The Knights are not a great side, but they obviously practised their shift play and knew to use it at every possible opportunity, including going back to that play more than once per set, if it didn't work out the first time.

And after leaking several tries down our RHS, Knights shift to our left and I have this thought "oh maybe the LHS will cover this" and nope, they are as brittle as the other edge. The halves cannot defend, the centres and wing both make bad decisions and turn like ocean liners. Watching Dom Young sprint down a sideline and Talau and Tupou look like sloths in comparision - embarrassing.

Also our halves absolutely unable to put anything together in attack, to mount pressure on the opposition. Knights didn't even bother for short kick-offs, they "backed their defence" as the commentators said. Well not really, they simply bet against our impotent attack.

Knights were just waiting for the opportunity to defuse our rubbish kicks and then shift wide as soon as possible. Never in any real doubt.
Agree with all you've written. I wonder how much damage that 74-0 game has done to the psyche of some of those young players. Confidence looks totally shot in defence. I remember a time earlier in the year where they were actually pulling together some good games defensively, but putting too much pressure on themselves by not being able to score points and build pressure. There has been zero improvement on that front and now the defence has fallen apart. Priority has to be an organising half who can construct a set and build pressure.

Agree with all you've written. I wonder how much damage that 74-0 game has done to the psyche of some of those young players. Confidence looks totally shot in defence. I remember a time earlier in the year where they were actually pulling together some good games defensively, but putting too much pressure on themselves by not being able to score points and build pressure. There has been zero improvement on that front and now the defence has fallen apart. Priority has to be an organising half who can construct a set and build pressure.
I think you’re right. The younger players look tired. Why they have obvious talent, the grind of week-in-week-out NRL appears to be getting to them, particularly in a weak team like the Tigers.

I think we should blood some of our future over the remaining weeks. We’ve seen some but others like Feledy, Faagatu, Da Sliva and others may benefit from more experience. I am not saying wholesale changes but may be a couple a week.

The only exception would be Brooks who has to get back asap and stay. We cannot play without recognised halves.

1. Jahream Bula
2. * Xavier Savage - explosive speed
3. Charlie Staines
4. Starford To’a
5. Junior Tupou
6. * Talatau Amone/Brodie Croft/Jai Field
7. * TBC
8. David Klemmer
9. Api Korisau
10. Stefano Utoikamanu
11. Isaiah Papali’i
12. John Bateman
13. Shawn Blore
14. * Blake Taafe - great utility value
15. * Josh Curran - impact edge forward
16. Fonua Pole
17. Alex Twal

Alex Seyfarth
Asitasi James
Justin Matamua
Brandon Tumeth
Brandon Mansfield
Tallyn Da Silva
Josh Feledy
Lachlan Galvin

*** A halfback who can lead the team, straighten the attack and have a good kicking game is our number one priority.
I don’t think we can afford anyone who is slow.
*** Finalise the top 30 with 5 quality recruits who are good enough to be NRL starting players.
2 halves
1 hooker
2 outside backs

Development Contracts 2024, likely top 30 in 2025;
Chris Faagatu
Heath Mason
Jordan Miller
Kit Laulilli
Luke Laulilli
Iverson Matai
Onitoni Large

Get rid of these contracted players;
David Nofoaluma
Brent Naden
Asu Keparoa
Jake Simpkin - Tough, but lacks creativity
Rua Ngatikaura
Sione Fainu
** Tristan Reilly - Give him NRL game time for the remainder of 2023 to find out if he’s worth persisting with.

Last edited:
1. Jahream Bula
3. Charlie Staines
4. Starford To’a
5. Junior Tupou
7. * TBC
8. David Klemmer
9. Api Korisau
10. Stefano Utoikamanu
11. Isaiah Papali’i
12. John Bateman
13. Shawn Blore
16. Fonua Pole
17. Alex Twal

Alex Seyfarth
Asitasi James
Justin Matamua
Brandon Tumeth
Brandon Mansfield
Tallyn Da Silva
Josh Feledy
Lachlan Galvin

*** A halfback who can lead the team, straighten the attack and have a good kicking game is our number one priority.
*** Finalise the top 30 with 5 quality recruits who are good enough to be NRL starting players.
2 halves
1 hooker
2 outside backs

Development Contracts 2024, likely into top 30 in 2025;
Chris Faagatu
Heath Mason
Jordan Miller
Kit Laulilli
Luke Laulilli
Iverson Matai
Onitoni Large

David Nofoaluma
Brent Naden
Asu Keparoa
Jake Simpkin
Rua Ngatikaura
Sione Fainu
** Tristan Reilly - Give him NRL game time for the remainder of 2023 ti find out if he’s worth persisting with.
Staines into the centres could be interesting.

1. Jahream Bula
3. Charlie Staines
4. Starford To’a
5. Junior Tupou
7. * TBC
8. David Klemmer
9. Api Korisau
10. Stefano Utoikamanu
11. Isaiah Papali’i
12. John Bateman
13. Shawn Blore
16. Fonua Pole
17. Alex Twal

Alex Seyfarth
Asitasi James
Justin Matamua
Brandon Tumeth
Brandon Mansfield
Tallyn Da Silva
Josh Feledy
Lachlan Galvin

2 halves
1 hooker
2 outside backs

Development Contracts 2024, likely top 30 in 2025;
Chris Faagatu
Heath Mason
Jordan Miller
Kit Laulilli
Luke Laulilli
Iverson Matai
Onitoni Large

David Nofoaluma
Brent Naden
Asu Keparoa
Jake Simpkin
Rua Ngatikaura
Sione Fainu
** Tristan Reilly - Give him NRL game time for the remainder of 2023 ti find out if he’s worth persisting with.
I like it.

I'd swap Curran & Blore though.
Also, release Riley - isn't up to it.

Definitely on the right track though.

Back