Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Surely it has to be a Nofa for Olam swap? Nofa knows the Storm system with his brief stint last year, and from all accounts the loan worked well and Bellamy was happy.

Why would we let Stef or Blore go, both are just starting to mature and hitting their straps. Am I missing something?
They want forwards.

Olam knows the storm system.
Can't see em swapping him out for a worse player like Nofo.

I quess most on here watched the NZ v Samoa game , watching it remained me of our team the Samoa team completed well but without a proper 1/2 and 5/8 they just had no attack , so I hope with some decent 1/2s next year we will be a much better team

I wonder if we are the team in question....

Why mystery surrounds Papenhuyzen link to Storm’s rivals​

Danny Weidler

By Danny Weidler

October 22, 2023 — 5.30am (SMH)

Storm superstar Ryan Papenhuyzen has been secretly floated to at least one rival club as a potential recruit, but Melbourne say he is going nowhere.
Papenhuyzen has been mentioned to a team to gauge interest in his services. The club has been approached by a third party on the quiet with the message being, if he were to become available, would they be interested and, if so, at what level.

New Zealand take on Samoa in the 2023 Pacific Championships at Eden Park, Auckland.
It is a conversation that is easy to deny and Melbourne general manager Frank Ponissi laughed at the idea of an early departure for Papenhuyzen, who signed a three-year contract extension in 2021 for about $2 million, which runs until the end of the 2025 season.
Papenhuyzen was not fazed when contacted, saying he had no knowledge of any discussions.

It is a common practice for a third party with links to a team to broach sensitive contract moves because it allows the club to distance itself from any discussions. After Melbourne’s denial I went back to the NRL club that has been sounded out and it confirmed it had been asked about Papenhuyzen.
The level of intent behind the conversations is hard to gauge, and it is difficult to predict if it will lead to anything. Papenhuyzen is a fan favourite and beloved at the club, but the Storm have a star on the rise in

Ryan Papenhuyzen has been plagued by injuries in recent seasons.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS
He may have played only one NRL game, but his performance left the league world stunned. Then he earned rave reviews after taking on Australia last weekend with Samoa. Faalogo’s Benji Marshall-style “midair” step and pace have him marked as an emerging star. That is why a potential Papenhuyzen exit makes some sense.

Papenhuyzen is on big money and, through no fault of his own, he has been unable to deliver in recent years. The knee injury he suffered against Canberra in 2022 kept him out for more than a year. He broke his leg a couple of games into his comeback and also spent considerable time out following a serious concussion in 2021.
In his absence, Nick Meaney has proven to be a more than capable fullback. The Storm need to bolster their forward roster, and any extra cash freed up by a Papenhuyzen deal would be useful.

Papenhuyzen has admitted to some dark times on the comeback trail but got through them by working hard on self-development. I had a long chat to him recently, before this information came to me, and it was clear he still has a strong desire to be the best fullback in the game. After his major knee injury, he got back to 93 per cent of his previous top speed.
Think its probably rubbish but I'm guessing the Eels as their "x factor" fullback would be interested. I think they would be mad to move Gutho though. Paps from the Hills originally which is kind of Eels territory.

They want forwards.

Olam knows the storm system.
Can't see em swapping him out for a worse player like Nofo.

I know they do, but we'd be crazy to release a growing star for Olam who had a worse year than Nofa.

Why then is belemy keen as ###k for the swap then?? Because BLORE is exactly what they want and need, X-factor. Olams defence was and has been extremely poor this season, hence why belemy wants ti kick him ti the curb! He would be happy to give him away for free, he’s just playing chicken, and we’re dumb enough ti fall for it!!
The key is in playing chicken is to hold your nerve…
We are NOT the Melbourne Storm!
We don't appear in finals games. We don't have an ability to train players up hard.

We do not have Harry Grant, Ryan Pap's, Cam Munster and Jehrome Hugues needing contracts (probably can get 1 mil if they looked around). We don't have 4 players ready to go at Center.

Our reserve grade, does not have a ready stream of players ready for first grade. I mean they do okay, Tristan Reilly, Feledy, etc are there. Neither of them are a hard hitter when they showed up at the last game last season and it's clear both would struggle with NRL level of physical contact. Not saying they are not good players, they are. I am saying that they are not ready.

We need a center who can boost our grit. Olam has grit in spades.

Were not the Melbourne Storm, we can be the Melbourne storm, heck we can be greater. But we need an experienced center to help build our backline.

Think its probably rubbish but I'm guessing the Eels as their "x factor" fullback would be interested. I think they would be mad to move Gutho though. Paps from the Hills originally which is kind of Eels territory.
If I am the Eels and I had a chance to swap Gutho for Pappenheusen, DONE.

To be fair though. I hate super Greedy agents and Moses + Gutho are draining their cap.

It means that Melbourne are under cap pressure.
Honestly Pappenheusen would be great here except Bula has NR1 locked down. I don't think anyone on the forum is mercenary/foolharty enough to swap Pappenheusen for Bula. (although I would be interested in a 1 year swap with Melbourne. It would do Bula good).

That's why they are offloading Olam, Cmon Tigers sign on the line.

Why then is belemy keen as ###k for the swap then?? Because BLORE is exactly what they want and need, X-factor. Olams defence was and has been extremely poor this season, hence why belemy wants ti kick him ti the curb! He would be happy to give him away for free, he’s just playing chicken, and we’re dumb enough ti fall for it!!
The key is in playing chicken is to hold your nerve…
We don't appear in finals games. We don't have an ability to train players up hard.

We do not have Harry Grant, Ryan Pap's, Cam Munster and Jehrome Hugues needing contracts (probably can get 1 mil if they looked around). We don't have 4 players ready to go at Center.

Our reserve grade, does not have a ready stream of players ready for first grade. I mean they do okay, Tristan Reilly, Feledy, etc are there. Neither of them are a hard hitter when they showed up at the last game last season and it's clear both would struggle with NRL level of physical contact. Not saying they are not good players, they are. I am saying that they are not ready.

We need a center who can boost our grit.

We need a center who can boost our grit.
Agree but has Olam peaked and is it why Bellamy dropped him and he’s available ?
His style is so direct that injuries can really dent it. I’d be real cautious about signing him.

I'm all in on Bula at 1, but if medical reports on Paps ankle are positive, he would be huge for us. Imagine Bula and Staines on the right, Toa and Tupou on the left, with Paps' speed and ball playing chiming into the backline? We could tear teams apart if our halves get it right.

Agree I feel,for him as he is a talent but just think he is going to collect more injuries , value drops , and he has had his share of injury , again not a slant on him just a feeling
Hi risk signing now, which is why he’s available. Assume Bellamy has said let him go coz even when he recovers he won’t ever be the same again. (physically or mentally)
Pity but Bellyache a realist not a dreamer about fairy tales with a happy ending.

I'm all in on Bula at 1, but if medical reports on Paps ankle are positive, he would be huge for us. Imagine Bula and Staines on the right, Toa and Tupou on the left, with Paps' speed and ball playing chiming into the backline? We could tear teams apart if our halves get it right.
Agree... Sign Paps for 2 years and let Bula learn from a guy that was an a prodigy of Slater. Worst case we have Bula as a back up!
We have to risk it for the biscuit.

Olam 2023 looked completely broken
Any team considering him wld need an exhaustive medical..
So when should we sign someone?

When their top form? Anyone remember Russell Packer! We signed a good quality forward who was pushing the Dragons to the finals... Or how about Tamou, sure not at his 'top' at Penrith but holding his own. ( need I remind people that both players went straight down hill).

Or sign people who are on the out. St George signed Moses Mbye from us. He was a lot cheaper then the 750k per season we payed for him. But I had to laugh when Zero tackle said the Dragons were far better with Jacob Liddle on the field then Mbye. ... Just OMG, the players John West Tigers reject!

The question remains? Sign people on top form, for top dollar, knowing they will drop OR sign people at lower form, hoping they will improve.

One thing the Storm do well is seeing a player at poor form and putting them in an environment where they can reach their peak playing performance. But hey we tried copying Bellamy like every Sydney team.

Agree... Sign Paps for 2 years and let Bula learn from a guy that was an a prodigy of Slater. Worst case we have Bula as a back up!
We have to risk it for the biscuit.
OR

Agree to sign Pappenheusen and offer to loan Bula to the Storm for a season.
The "Prodigy" fullback they have isn't probably ready for full time first grade. Let Bula learn in a well developed team while we give them cap relief and a chance at the title.

Ofcourse this would be contingent on Pappen willing to come back at Center or wing. We can't have 2x fullbacks long term.

Blore doesn't have x factor, and that's one of his biggest drawbacks. He doesn't break the line, doesn't offload. He's a barge up prop, limited skills and little agility. A bit of a James Gavet type
He broke the line two or three times for memory against MLB and twice against warriors I reckon that would be very close to most line breaks for an edge of I've said b4 big mistake tiger's

Needs two relatively injury free sesaons to regain cred re his durability
Sadly,I think hes too brittle to achieve that IMO
He can only play one position,which weve just heavily invested in Bula as our solution
So its a big pass..
Agreed. He’s done. Much like Tuiaki and Yow Yeh. Bad ankle injuries are careee killers

Reactions: 851
Back