@weststigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437908) said:
@snake said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437875) said:
@weststigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437845) said:
@boonboon said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437707) said:
@newtown said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437705) said:
@isaaktigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437686) said:
@tigervinnie said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437667) said:
@boonboon said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437659) said:
Interesting to note that not only is Brandon Smith off contract at the end of 2022 but Harry Grant actually has a Mutuak option for 2023 so if effectively off contract at the end of 2022 at this stage as well. I say go all in for Harry

last year showed having Grant in our team isn't priority and I would extend that to Smith as well.

We had Grant and still missed the finals terribly, we have far more important areas to fill before throwing marquee money at Hooker.

Without Grant we’d be last.

But seriously, I’d throw 1Milly at Grant. Even 1.1..

The influence and everything he had on the whole of Wests Tigers, I actually never felt or seen that effect a player can do to a team.

What do you do with the two capable hookers we presently have?

The 19 yr old nsw cup player or the injury riddled bloke who missed 8 tackles vs the Warriors and left dummy half empty and tjrows a bunch of average passes. You give them to someone else snd take the Origin star

I'd take Brandon Smith over Grant as it stands. The benefit of Smith is he doesn't get pulled out of the team for Origin duties.

Liddle shows glimpses, but his best is well behind Grant or Smith.

Smith plays with an intensity that Grant doesn't. Both top players, but they approach the game differently. I think Smiths intensity around dummy half and in defence is what we need at the Tigers right now.

I don’t think that being a benchie will sit well with Grant when he I he knows he can be a starter and get more money elsewhere .

You're right, but I was talking about Smith leaving as he is off contract end of next year.

Melbourne have shown they won't release players unless they get something in return and honestly, I doubt they'd want Liddle.

they might take simpkin

I would be chucking the kitchen sink at Grant. He is exactly what the tigers need, not smith. Grant has footy iq and just reads defence well.

The cheese will have a short career if he keeps playing like he does.

@jedi_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437947) said:
Interesting to note that not only is Brandon Smith off contract at the end of 2022 but Harry Grant actually has a Mutuak option for 2023 so if effectively off contract at the end of 2022 at this stage as well. I say go all in for Harry

last year showed having Grant in our team isn't priority and I would extend that to Smith as well.

We had Grant and still missed the finals terribly, we have far more important areas to fill before throwing marquee money at Hooker.

The influence and everything he had on the whole of Wests Tigers, I actually never felt or seen that effect a player can do to a team.

The 19 yr old nsw cup player or the injury riddled bloke who missed 8 tackles vs the Warriors and left dummy half empty and tjrows a bunch of average passes. You give them to someone else snd take the Origin star

I'd take Brandon Smith over Grant as it stands. The benefit of Smith is he doesn't get pulled out of the team for Origin duties.

Smith plays with an intensity that Grant doesn't. Both top players, but they approach the game differently. I think Smiths intensity around dummy half and in defence is what we need at the Tigers right now.

I don’t think that being a benchie will sit well with Grant when he I he knows he can be a starter and get more money elsewhere .

You're right, but I was talking about Smith leaving as he is off contract end of next year.

Melbourne have shown they won't release players unless they get something in return and honestly, I doubt they'd want Liddle.

they might take simpkin

I'd take that deal...Simpkin is 2-3 years away from being ready.

@weststigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437957) said:

they might take simpkin

think Simpkin will be a rep level player in the future you would love to move Liddle on he has reached his limit ability wise.
We can see how this would end we swap simpkin for Grant or B Smiith they get career ending injury and simpkin ends up hooker for Qld down the track

@tigervinnie said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437696) said:

Yes I understand he is a quality player and probably does demand that sort of money. But people need to understand how a salary cap works.

We through 1m+ at Grant we have nothing left to 'build around' - our centre issue will remain the same, our second row issue will remain the same, our lock issue will remain the same. We will essentially have the same team as 2020 in which we finished 11th (with Grant).

We at the very minimum need a quality centre (perhaps two, pending how Gildart turns out) and lock before we worry about a marquee hooker.

Is this true? Manly have Turbo on 1.1 and DCE on 1.25 and they seem to be doing pretty well.

Once mbye leaves AD and Brooks are our highest payed players on something around 650-850. Why wouldn’t we be able to afford a million dollar hooker. The rest of the comp seems to be able to afford at least one player of that caliber. I’d be happy to pay that money for a generational player and then recruit against it, bringing in more talent with people knowing they won’t have to do it all themselves

@tigertownsfs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437960) said:

Yes I understand he is a quality player and probably does demand that sort of money. But people need to understand how a salary cap works.

We through 1m+ at Grant we have nothing left to 'build around' - our centre issue will remain the same, our second row issue will remain the same, our lock issue will remain the same. We will essentially have the same team as 2020 in which we finished 11th (with Grant).

We at the very minimum need a quality centre (perhaps two, pending how Gildart turns out) and lock before we worry about a marquee hooker.

Is this true? Manly have Turbo on 1.1 and DCE on 1.25 and they seem to be doing pretty well.

Once mbye leaves AD and Brooks are our highest payed players on something around 650-850. Why wouldn’t we be able to afford a million dollar hooker. The rest of the comp seems to be able to afford at least one player of that caliber. I’d be happy to pay that money for a generational player and then recruit against it, bringing in more talent with people knowing they won’t have to do it all themselves

The 2 positions people throw a million at are hooker and half. They organise your entire team and are crucial to attack and defence.

Do yourself a favour and watch Grant tear manly to pieces. He is everything the tigers need he fixes 80% of our problems and then we can work on getting our centre pairing right

@tigertragic83 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437963) said:

The 2 positions people throw a million at are hooker and half. They organise your entire team and are crucial to attack and defence.

Do yourself a favour and watch Grant tear manly to pieces. He is everything the tigers need he fixes 80% of our problems and then we can work on getting our centre pairing right

This is an interesting debate. I would add fullback. But with all contracts they would have to be genuine superstars. Look how hunt turned out at dragons.

Grant doesn’t solve our lack of first grade talent across the park.

I think Storm will let Smith go but not Grant. He is their long term star hooker

@tiger-ferret said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437966) said:

This is an interesting debate. I would add fullback. But with all contracts they would have to be genuine superstars. Look how hunt turned out at dragons.

Service out if dummy half is absolute trash. How different did we look last year with Harry?

I agree with the ge urine superstar part. Dane Laurie is building nicely though. And I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but Bryce Cartwright could be a really good option for second row

This is my point I have been trying to get across. It's not about Grant V Liddle who's better or denying that Grant isn't a superstar and would improve our team.

My point is our team has so many weak points and hooker is low on that list. As much as I would hate to turn down the opportunity to sign a player like that, I feel the 1.1mill -ish we need should be used to sign two or so high quality 500-600 type players that will strengthen us as an entire team.

Other teams can afford the million dollar player because they may only have one or so weak points to their game. We unfortunately don't have that luxury as we have at least 2-3 major problems.

@tigertragic83 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437968) said:

Service out if dummy half is absolute trash. How different did we look last year with Harry?

I agree with the ge urine superstar part. Dane Laurie is building nicely though. And I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but Bryce Cartwright could be a really good option for second row

Agree our hookers are not consistent over 80. Laurie is a glimmer of hope pre injury. Cartwright in good form definitely makes our starting side for mine. Would I target him is a different discussion ☺️

Grant has left us.
He isn't coming back.
We can spend our lives lamenting the girl that dumped us or we can find another girl and move on.

@dwight-schrute said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437974) said:
Grant has left us.
He isn't coming back.
We can spend our lives lamenting the girl that dumped us or we can find another girl and move on.

He didn't dump us, he wasn't ours in the 1st place.

@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437976) said:
Grant has left us.
He isn't coming back.

So we were cutting someone else's grass and she chose to go back to her boyfriend.
We still lost the girl.

@dwight-schrute said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437978) said:
Grant has left us.
He isn't coming back.

So we were cutting someone else's grass.
We still lost the girl.

Not really, the Storm gave us permission to play him for 12 months. I don't think the analogy you are trying for works.

@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437981) said:
@dwight-schrute said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437978) said:
Grant has left us.
He isn't coming back.

So we were cutting someone else's grass.
We still lost the girl.

Not really, the Storm gave us permission to play him for 12 months. I don't think the analogy you are trying for works.

Oh it works.
We are the dumped stalker of a boyfriend trying to buy the love of a girl that's moved on.
We need to have a restraining order taken out against us.
She doesn't love us. She never did.

This thread has deteriorated to almost the same point as Wests Tigers recruitment 😂

@jedi_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437958) said:

they might take simpkin

think Simpkin will be a rep level player in the future you would love to move Liddle on he has reached his limit ability wise.
We can see how this would end we swap simpkin for Grant or B Smiith they get career ending injury and simpkin ends up hooker for Qld down the track

@getagrip said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437996) said:
@jedi_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1437958) said:

they might take simpkin

Don't be a hooker at Tigers.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back