@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505746) said:
@champ said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505745) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505741) said:
@upthetigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505719) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505714) said:
@upthetigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505707) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505689) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505685) said:
Rather than trying to assign points to players I think it would be pretty easy to fix the cap:

all contracts public
hard cap on TPAs (eg $2m)
better system of cap relief for juniors/veterans

With regards to the above suggestions. I massively agree with better system of rewarding clubs for developing and retaining players. However, whilst I agree about making contracts public like the US sports the Players Association have said publicly that they'll never allow it as they will claim it breaches privacy, just like capping TPD's will be disputed as restriction of trade

I don't believe in restricting TPAs

Why? The salary cap wouldn't mean a thing if you didn't restrict TPAs.

Because I don't believe in limiting what players can earn away from the game.

So you want it to be like the EPL where the richest clubs will always dominate the competition? I believe in an even playing field.

I believe in people being able to earn from their own image and efforts. Things like players being paid to be on radio programs or fox would be out if you can TPAs.

Agree. Thats why this points system works. a player can earn what he likes outside the points system, but it stops clubs like the Rorters paying under "on the books" plus a paperbag or TPA.. A players points in decided by the highest dollar figure any club is prepared to pay him . He can earn unlimited amounts,according to his image & efforts & and it doesnt affect his price points. But it stops the Rorters paying someone 500K making the rest up with paperbags & TPAs.

I don't think other clubs poor decisions should determine a players worth.

That's the only way players are currently valued, by what a club offers. That's how Mbye and Packer made their millions.

Only because they took those deals, if they were willing to stay at their club for a fair value why should their club be disadvantage due to a poor decision by the Tigers? For example Tigers offered $850k (850 points under the proposed system) for Mbye which is way overs, if the Dogs were happy to keep him for $600k and he is willing to stay for that amount. Why should the Dogs be disadvantaged due to the Tigers stupidity and have to put him in the points cap for 850?

Read my previous reply to the Champ.

Your idea does improve it, but say it is the Roosters offering the $600k, I still don't think they should be disadvantaged due to the Tigers stupidity.

Yep ...we need to become better cheats ....if you can't beat them ...join them

@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505752) said:
@tigerballs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505751) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505749) said:
@tigerballs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505748) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505746) said:
Rather than trying to assign points to players I think it would be pretty easy to fix the cap:

all contracts public

With regards to the above suggestions. I massively agree with better system of rewarding clubs for developing and retaining players. However, whilst I agree about making contracts public like the US sports the Players Association have said publicly that they'll never allow it as they will claim it breaches privacy, just like capping TPD's will be disputed as restriction of trade

So you want it to be like the EPL where the richest clubs will always dominate the competition? I believe in an even playing field.

I believe in people being able to earn from their own image and efforts. Things like players being paid to be on radio programs or fox would be out if you can TPAs.

Agree. Thats why this points system works. a player can earn what he likes outside the points system, but it stops clubs like the Rorters paying under "on the books" plus a paperbag or TPA.. A players points in decided by the highest dollar figure any club is prepared to pay him . He can earn unlimited amounts,according to his image & efforts & and it doesnt affect his price points. But it stops the Rorters paying someone 500K making the rest up with paperbags & TPAs.

I don't think other clubs poor decisions should determine a players worth.

That's the only way players are currently valued, by what a club offers. That's how Mbye and Packer made their millions.

Only because they took those deals, if they were willing to stay at their club for a fair value why should their club be disadvantage due to a poor decision by the Tigers? For example Tigers offered $850k (850 points under the proposed system) for Mbye which is way overs, if the Dogs were happy to keep him for $600k and he is willing to stay for that amount. Why should the Dogs be disadvantaged due to the Tigers stupidity and have to put him in the points cap for 850?

Read my previous reply to the Champ.

Your idea does improve it, but say it is the Roosters offering the $600k, I still don't think they should be disadvantaged due to the Tigers stupidity.

In that case, the Tigers would most likely get the player anyway because they are offering more money. This is the only method to prevent, say, the Roosters from offering the same $850 but only claiming $650.

all contracts public

You realise that genuine TPA's are unrestricted now dont you?

I believe in a free society where authority doesnt own you like chattel slaves.

The point per dollar idea is interesting, but you can't implement a change like that without a large project, with a dedicated risk aspect, thinking of all the things I can't think of after cracking a case of XPA in front of the fire.

Im going over to the Salary Cap thread to see if there is any news on signings...

@tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505760) said:

all contracts public

In society . Of course! Who doesn’t agree with that? But you’re talking about a form of entertainment and business where the whole thing is predicated on a belief system that 2 sides enter into a competition where as , at the very least , both have an equal chance of winning that competition. It’s literally the reason the business makes any money to begin with. And unlike , say the premier league/ English football,there is only 1 competition . There’s not the 3 cups plus 2 European completions as well .
Otherwise what are we doing ? We might as well watch WWE, if we want fixed outcomes !
But we don’t want fixed outcomes .
If the roosters/storm ,truely are that much better than the rest of the league, then fixed monetary outcomes like hard caps , luxury taxes , transparency in salaries , shouldn’t be an issue . The Patriots have dominated the NFL for a long time . And good teams like the packers , Steelers , ravens are always there or there abouts.
This is the same in the NBA with teams like The Spurs and heat etc. they’re always near the top of the league . (Spurs for the first time since 99 have a team that can’t make the finals) .
The cream will always rise to the top .
But the nrl has no parity what do ever . And the salary cap and it’s illusion that it provides that is a joke .
If the EPL is the goal , then scrap the cap. My interest will definitely fall off a cliff . Or at least it will force clubs like ours to understand our true operating budget pales in comparison .
MLB is fine with “moneyball” and this disparity.
If the NRL continues this way then they will lose the public, as we don’t have the same fan culture that the English do .

@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505768) said:

all contracts public

In society . Of course! Who doesn’t agree with that? But you’re talking about a form of entertainment and business where the whole thing is predicated on a belief system that 2 sides enter into a competition where as , at the very least , both have an equal chance of winning that competition. It’s literally the reason the business makes any money to begin with. And unlike , say the premier league/ English football,there is only 1 competition . There’s not the 3 cups plus 2 European completions as well .
Otherwise what are we doing ? We might as well watch WWE, if we want fixed outcomes !
If the roosters/storm ,truely are that much better than the rest of the league, then fixed monetary outcomes like hard caps , luxury taxes , transparency in salaries , shouldn’t be an issue . The Patriots have dominated the NFL for a long time . And good teams like the packers , Steelers , ravens are always there or there abouts.
This is the same in the NBA with teams like The Spurs and heat etc. they’re always near the top of the league . (Spurs for the first time since 99 have a team that can’t make the finals) .
But the nrl has no parity what do ever . And the salary cap and it’s illusion that it provides that is a joke .
If the EPL is the goal , then scrap the cap. My interest will definitely fall off a cliff . Or at least it will force clubs like ours to understand our true operating budget pales in comparison .
If the NRL continues this way then they will lose the public, as we don’t have the same fan culture that the English do .

If James Tedesco can earn $$ from a contract with a company completely unrelated to the Roosters, in which Roosters do not benefit, say Coke for example......why should he not be able to earn that money.

Genuine TPA's are totally unrestricted right now as they should be.

@tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505765) said:
Im going over to the Salary Cap thread to see if there is any news on signings...

No just comments on Brooks ,Coronavirus and the Discord ....

all contracts public

There’s an easy way to cheat your system:

Tigers tell Luciano we are going to pay you $750 000 a year but we are only going to table this contract of $500 000 just don’t go to any other clubs for an offer so we can keep your price down. Bang Tigers only have 2/3 of the points counted to the cap and just do it again for the next player.

all contracts public

The idea of making player salaries public knowledge has been raised in the past and the Rugby league Player's Association has very quickly shut it down and said they'd fight it in court as a breach of privacy. I think it would solve some issues with trust in the cap, but it will never get over the line

all contracts public

So your fix is to prevent players earning extra income?

@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505676) said:
Cust off to Wigan

Would you have taken Cust over Hastings

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/news/tough-sea-eagles-half-granted-release-to-join-new-club/ar-AAQDNNS?ocid=ientp

Absolutely NOT!

@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505693) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505682) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505680) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505678) said:
@sparci said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505669) said:
@bradexl said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505665) said:
Im continually confused how people believe that Simpkins' performance was better than Liddles this year. Liddle may not have been great but Simpkin was way out of his depth.

Its just, Liddle lacks in the main fundamental of a hooker, passing. Its atrocious. So the frustration over the season builds up, otherwise I don't see much of an issue in his game, but this one issue, is pretty damning.

Didn’t Luciano Leilua got into a push and shove with Liddle last offseason because of his service from dummy half?

Correct, seemingly it was justified

And there were games that Liddle’s service from dummy half was horrible he can run but his passing is average while Simpkin at this stage can pass the ball better but not as effective at running yet but honestly if I had to pick one of them two I’m going with Simpkin

Liddle has no kicking game either which is really important from 9 these days

Neither does Simpkin and he is a pathetic defender and a ball hog.

@clontarfkid said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505708) said:
@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505550) said:
@clontarfkid said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505546) said:
Lot of moving parts with Hodgson recruitment..
We wish to pay only $500k for a player Raiders have on their books for $900k,plus we'd like them to take Liddle for full ask of $300k
On top of that,Raiders are awaiting the january outcome of their court case for their sole alternative at 9...
As each month goes by,the maths get friendlier for WTs as Hodgson is being paid $75k monthly by Raiders from Nov1,whereas we we pay Liddle $24k or so...

If you don't mind, could you please post Tigers official word that they want to Canberra to take Liddle for full freight or that they want Canberra to take him at all. Has Liddle agreed to terminate his 2 year contract with the Tigers? Has Liddle agreed that he wants to leave and go to Canberra?

Sounds like it is made up to me.

Everything is made up Russell..maybe including you???
None of us actually know anything of course,except the logical course of action that awaits us with simple logic played out
Bewildering??Me too!!

So what you are saying is - there is no official word on that.

@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505783) said:
Im continually confused how people believe that Simpkins' performance was better than Liddles this year. Liddle may not have been great but Simpkin was way out of his depth.

Its just, Liddle lacks in the main fundamental of a hooker, passing. Its atrocious. So the frustration over the season builds up, otherwise I don't see much of an issue in his game, but this one issue, is pretty damning.

Didn’t Luciano Leilua got into a push and shove with Liddle last offseason because of his service from dummy half?

And there were games that Liddle’s service from dummy half was horrible he can run but his passing is average while Simpkin at this stage can pass the ball better but not as effective at running yet but honestly if I had to pick one of them two I’m going with Simpkin

Liddle and Simpkin are probably on par with each other really.

all contracts public

Ok, unlimited TPA but a tax on clubs that exceed a certain amount.

@tigertownsfs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505786) said:

all contracts public

So now you want to tax club for players that can earn extra income through their own means?

@tigertownsfs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505786) said:

all contracts public

What does what a player can earn individually have to do with the club. You’d only push good players out of the game

@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505783) said:

Again, the main point is... you need to be able to pass as a hooker!!

Back