Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505768) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505760) said:
@upthetigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505719) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505714) said:
@upthetigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505707) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505689) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505685) said:
Rather than trying to assign points to players I think it would be pretty easy to fix the cap:

all contracts public
hard cap on TPAs (eg $2m)
better system of cap relief for juniors/veterans

With regards to the above suggestions. I massively agree with better system of rewarding clubs for developing and retaining players. However, whilst I agree about making contracts public like the US sports the Players Association have said publicly that they'll never allow it as they will claim it breaches privacy, just like capping TPD's will be disputed as restriction of trade

I don't believe in restricting TPAs

Why? The salary cap wouldn't mean a thing if you didn't restrict TPAs.

Because I don't believe in limiting what players can earn away from the game.

So you want it to be like the EPL where the richest clubs will always dominate the competition? I believe in an even playing field.

You realise that genuine TPA's are unrestricted now dont you?

I believe in a free society where authority doesnt own you like chattel slaves.

In society . Of course! Who doesn’t agree with that? But you’re talking about a form of entertainment and business where the whole thing is predicated on a belief system that 2 sides enter into a competition where as , at the very least , both have an equal chance of winning that competition. It’s literally the reason the business makes any money to begin with. And unlike , say the premier league/ English football,there is only 1 competition . There’s not the 3 cups plus 2 European completions as well .
Otherwise what are we doing ? We might as well watch WWE, if we want fixed outcomes !
But we don’t want fixed outcomes .
If the roosters/storm ,truely are that much better than the rest of the league, then fixed monetary outcomes like hard caps , luxury taxes , transparency in salaries , shouldn’t be an issue . The Patriots have dominated the NFL for a long time . And good teams like the packers , Steelers , ravens are always there or there abouts.
This is the same in the NBA with teams like The Spurs and heat etc. they’re always near the top of the league . (Spurs for the first time since 99 have a team that can’t make the finals) .
The cream will always rise to the top .
But the nrl has no parity what do ever . And the salary cap and it’s illusion that it provides that is a joke .
If the EPL is the goal , then scrap the cap. My interest will definitely fall off a cliff . Or at least it will force clubs like ours to understand our true operating budget pales in comparison .
MLB is fine with “moneyball” and this disparity.
If the NRL continues this way then they will lose the public, as we don’t have the same fan culture that the English do .

The idea of making player salaries public knowledge has been raised in the past and the Rugby league Player's Association has very quickly shut it down and said they'd fight it in court as a breach of privacy. I think it would solve some issues with trust in the cap, but it will never get over the line

@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505768) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505760) said:
@upthetigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505719) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505714) said:
@upthetigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505707) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505689) said:
Rather than trying to assign points to players I think it would be pretty easy to fix the cap:

all contracts public

With regards to the above suggestions. I massively agree with better system of rewarding clubs for developing and retaining players. However, whilst I agree about making contracts public like the US sports the Players Association have said publicly that they'll never allow it as they will claim it breaches privacy, just like capping TPD's will be disputed as restriction of trade

I don't believe in restricting TPAs

Why? The salary cap wouldn't mean a thing if you didn't restrict TPAs.

Because I don't believe in limiting what players can earn away from the game.

So you want it to be like the EPL where the richest clubs will always dominate the competition? I believe in an even playing field.

You realise that genuine TPA's are unrestricted now dont you?

I believe in a free society where authority doesnt own you like chattel slaves.

In society . Of course! Who doesn’t agree with that? But you’re talking about a form of entertainment and business where the whole thing is predicated on a belief system that 2 sides enter into a competition where as , at the very least , both have an equal chance of winning that competition. It’s literally the reason the business makes any money to begin with. And unlike , say the premier league/ English football,there is only 1 competition . There’s not the 3 cups plus 2 European completions as well .
Otherwise what are we doing ? We might as well watch WWE, if we want fixed outcomes !
But we don’t want fixed outcomes .
If the roosters/storm ,truely are that much better than the rest of the league, then fixed monetary outcomes like hard caps , luxury taxes , transparency in salaries , shouldn’t be an issue . The Patriots have dominated the NFL for a long time . And good teams like the packers , Steelers , ravens are always there or there abouts.
This is the same in the NBA with teams like The Spurs and heat etc. they’re always near the top of the league . (Spurs for the first time since 99 have a team that can’t make the finals) .
The cream will always rise to the top .
But the nrl has no parity what do ever . And the salary cap and it’s illusion that it provides that is a joke .
If the EPL is the goal , then scrap the cap. My interest will definitely fall off a cliff . Or at least it will force clubs like ours to understand our true operating budget pales in comparison .
MLB is fine with “moneyball” and this disparity.
If the NRL continues this way then they will lose the public, as we don’t have the same fan culture that the English do .

So your fix is to prevent players earning extra income?

@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505676) said:
Cust off to Wigan

Would you have taken Cust over Hastings

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/news/tough-sea-eagles-half-granted-release-to-join-new-club/ar-AAQDNNS?ocid=ientp

Absolutely NOT!

@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505693) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505682) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505680) said:
@glenji95 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505678) said:
@sparci said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505669) said:
@bradexl said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505665) said:
Im continually confused how people believe that Simpkins' performance was better than Liddles this year. Liddle may not have been great but Simpkin was way out of his depth.

Its just, Liddle lacks in the main fundamental of a hooker, passing. Its atrocious. So the frustration over the season builds up, otherwise I don't see much of an issue in his game, but this one issue, is pretty damning.

Didn’t Luciano Leilua got into a push and shove with Liddle last offseason because of his service from dummy half?

Correct, seemingly it was justified

And there were games that Liddle’s service from dummy half was horrible he can run but his passing is average while Simpkin at this stage can pass the ball better but not as effective at running yet but honestly if I had to pick one of them two I’m going with Simpkin

Liddle has no kicking game either which is really important from 9 these days

Neither does Simpkin and he is a pathetic defender and a ball hog.

@clontarfkid said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505708) said:
@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505550) said:
@clontarfkid said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505546) said:
Lot of moving parts with Hodgson recruitment..
We wish to pay only $500k for a player Raiders have on their books for $900k,plus we'd like them to take Liddle for full ask of $300k
On top of that,Raiders are awaiting the january outcome of their court case for their sole alternative at 9...
As each month goes by,the maths get friendlier for WTs as Hodgson is being paid $75k monthly by Raiders from Nov1,whereas we we pay Liddle $24k or so...

If you don't mind, could you please post Tigers official word that they want to Canberra to take Liddle for full freight or that they want Canberra to take him at all. Has Liddle agreed to terminate his 2 year contract with the Tigers? Has Liddle agreed that he wants to leave and go to Canberra?

Sounds like it is made up to me.

Everything is made up Russell..maybe including you???
None of us actually know anything of course,except the logical course of action that awaits us with simple logic played out
Bewildering??Me too!!

So what you are saying is - there is no official word on that.

@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505783) said:
Im continually confused how people believe that Simpkins' performance was better than Liddles this year. Liddle may not have been great but Simpkin was way out of his depth.

Its just, Liddle lacks in the main fundamental of a hooker, passing. Its atrocious. So the frustration over the season builds up, otherwise I don't see much of an issue in his game, but this one issue, is pretty damning.

Didn’t Luciano Leilua got into a push and shove with Liddle last offseason because of his service from dummy half?

And there were games that Liddle’s service from dummy half was horrible he can run but his passing is average while Simpkin at this stage can pass the ball better but not as effective at running yet but honestly if I had to pick one of them two I’m going with Simpkin

Liddle and Simpkin are probably on par with each other really.

all contracts public

Ok, unlimited TPA but a tax on clubs that exceed a certain amount.

@tigertownsfs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505786) said:

all contracts public

So now you want to tax club for players that can earn extra income through their own means?

@tigertownsfs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505786) said:

all contracts public

What does what a player can earn individually have to do with the club. You’d only push good players out of the game

Again, the main point is... you need to be able to pass as a hooker!!

@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505794) said:
@gnr4life said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505793) said:
Simpkin doesn’t look like a threat with the ball.

Simpkin is 19

Age is irrelevant if you’re playing first grade and are on good coin.

Age shouldn’t be used as an excuse.

If your good enough, you’re old enough.

Simpkin is 19

So was Farah once. Some players at that age have it. Some don’t, and that’s fine if he needs time, but he’s showed nothing so far to warrant going all in on him and abandoning Liddle.

Simpkin is 19

And was scoring tries for fun in reserve grade. He certainly knows when there is an opportunity to run, and will only get better at picking the correct moments.

We get it. You're Liddle's mum.

@gnr4life said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505796) said:

Simpkin is 19

So was Farah once. Some players at that age have it. Some don’t, and that’s fine if he needs time, but he’s showed nothing so far to warrant going all in on him and abandoning Liddle.

I think he needs more time, I expected a better year from Liddle than we saw last season and would be happy to give him another chance this year as long as the rumour about him being off Madge are false.

You realise he was scoring a try a game at once point in NSW cup, right? Was even the comps leading try scorer for the first month or two. All that when he's still eligible for Flegg for both 2021+22.

@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1505800) said:

You realise he was scoring a try a game at once point in NSW cup, right? Was even the comps leading try scorer for the first month or two. All that when he's still eligible for Flegg for both 2021+22.

Every try I’ve seen him score has been a barge over from dummy half. Look. I’m not writing him off, he very well could develop into something great, I look forward to seeing him develop. But as I said in my last post, he hasn’t burst into first grade and reeked havoc. He’s shown himself to be very meat and potatoes so far. Nothing worth throwing the towel in on Liddle. If it were up to me, I’d have all 3 on the books. Because if we get Hodgson and punt Liddle, and Hodgson goes down, then what? It’s all on Simpkin, and that wouldn’t be good for him.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back