Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Where playing 600k below the cap because we struggle to attract talent to the club there is very few decent back row options left on the market for next year bird is the best option I’d take him for sure a back row pairing of papali and bird is very solid they both play the 80 minutes

One bloke can play 80 minutes a game the other 80 minutes over the year.Yes its an exageration but Bird has a poor recoed with injury

Some of you guys are funny.

We haven't played finals for over a decade and are a struggling team.
6 of our best forwards leaving/off contract
We cry out each week for centres
We also cry out for game breakers

A player who can cover backrow, centre & 5.8th all at a rep level & just turned 27 actually approaches us and just like Gagai last year + a few others before hand - it's nope we have better or prefer what we have because of this/that issue.

In 2023 we currently have 7 spots on the roster to fill & well over $2M to spend.
In 2024 we currently have 8 players signed = 22 spots on the roster to fill with $6M to spend.

I would prefer we grab someone like Bird over Aitken or another nuffie backrower/centre because the spots are going to have to be filled & the cash does as well within a threshold.

We could also load up next year at $650k, 2024 @ $450k & 2025 @ 300k for example to enable us to recruit other talent in Nov for 2024/beyond.

@Mighty_Tiger We still need those things

He's got too much risk at to high a price.

Soft tissue injuries and arthritis for a 27 year old.

Nothing personal.

Just bad business and we need to move away as payingbto much for whats left on the shelf.
Agree. Bird is a good player (when fit) Trouble is we have been burnt by these types of signings over and over again. Unfortunately too many examples to name.

Tom Gilbert at NQ has signed with the dolphins for 2023.
Luciano made no sense up there as they have Nanai, Luki and Gilbert...three real talents.

Now it makes sense...Gilbert the odd one out.

It also means there is absolutely no way the Cows somehow change their minds about Luciano.

@Mighty_Tiger We still need those things

He's got too much risk at to high a price.

Soft tissue injuries and arthritis for a 27 year old.

Nothing personal.

Just bad business and we need to move away as payingbto much for whats left on the shelf.

I don't actually care if he was to come, just find it interesting the argument against him that's all.

He would be an absolute upgrade on our roster, hands down however reliability must be banked into the conversation around our roster.

His last 12mths have actually been stable. He has played 29 games & his performances have been on an upward trend.

JTJ, BJ, Packer and Mats all were seeking a retirement package & signed with declining form/games guides. Bird form/game guide is on the upward trend.

At this point we will struggle to name a starting 17 that is comparable to what we have today which is actually scary.

We have a bigger issue the year after. The shelf is bare on what is available.

Some quote we have Blore who is in worse shape than Bird + impact on a game far less

Others who say no thanks yet say AD must be 5/8th when he comes back despite his ACL which often takes a good 12-18mths to get back into some form guide

Others want us to pay more for Nikora, which apparently our offer is already 200k over what the Sharks have offered and an extra year yet no other club is in the hunt + anymore and it would cost us more than Papa which is dumb.

Others prefer to keep Garner who it's clear Madge doesn't rate as a backrower at all - he got punted for a rookie who signed for another club before the season started + moved to the centres adhoc because of how bad a shape we are in. We could keep Garner and still have 6 spots on the roster to fill for next year.

Others will say what about our development players who are being carved up in NSW Cup or Injured with limited game time over the last 2yrs.

I have no issues with the argument that we need something better or more reliable, issue is who is better out there because right now as the cupboard is very bare + our kids are miles away from NRL week in week out footy.

Last edited:
One bloke can play 80 minutes a game the other 80 minutes over the year.Yes its an exageration but Bird has a poor recoed with injury
We’ll put a clause In his contract saying he has to play in 20 games a seasons to be paid in full if he doesn’t reach the clause then he gets a paid a lesser amount

I don't actually care if he was to come, just find it interesting the argument against him that's all.

He would be an absolute upgrade on our roster, hands down however reliability must be banked into the conversation around our roster.

His last 12mths have actually been stable. He has played 29 games & his performances have been on an upward trend.

JTJ, BJ, Packer and Mats all were seeking a retirement package & signed with declining form/games guides. Bird form/game guide is on the upward trend.

At this point we will struggle to name a starting 17 that is comparable to what we have today which is actually scary.

We have a bigger issue the year after. The shelf is bare on what is available.

Some quote we have Blore who is in worse shape than Bird + impact on a game far less

Others who say no thanks yet say AD must be 5/8th when he comes back despite his ACL which often takes a good 12-18mths to get back into some form guide

Others want us to pay more for Nikora, which apparently our offer is already 200k over what the Sharks have offered and an extra year yet no other club is in the hunt + anymore and it would cost us more than Papa which is dumb.

Others prefer to keep Garner who it's clear Madge doesn't rate as a backrower at all - he got punted for a rookie who signed for another club before the season started + moved to the centres adhoc because of how bad a shape we are in. We could keep Garner and still have 6 spots on the roster to fill for next year.

Others will say what about our development players who are being carved up in NSW Cup or Injured with limited game time over the last 2yrs.

I have no issues with the argument that we need something better or more reliable, issue is who is better out there because right now as the cupboard is very bare + our kids are miles away from NRL week in week out footy.

Depends which Jack Bird we're buying I guess...
The one last year for the Dragons - Sure
The one for the Broncos - Not for any money.

The only real argument I have seen on it - Is that he's injury prone - Which he is - And he has Arthritis - Which he does.
I'd be certain that's why the management are looking for length of contract more so than dollars.

He's a class player.. He does things others just don't do - He'd be an addition to our squad. It's risk v reward and I don't know at top dollar Back Rower money the risk is worth it.

I'd rather have put 200k on top of what Bird wants and kept Luc...
or a deal of that nature...

3 Year 1.65million dollar contract on the table from the club. Best offer he has in front of him. Club quietly confident.
Pele awaiting for all offers before making decision.
4 other clubs on his tail
G day POM do you know if this offer is still on the table for Nikora or have they turn their attention to Bird

Depends which Jack Bird we're buying I guess...
The one last year for the Dragons - Sure
The one for the Broncos - Not for any money.

The only real argument I have seen on it - Is that he's injury prone - Which he is - And he has Arthritis - Which he does.
I'd be certain that's why the management are looking for length of contract more so than dollars.

He's a class player.. He does things others just don't do - He'd be an addition to our squad. It's risk v reward and I don't know at top dollar Back Rower money the risk is worth it.

I'd rather have put 200k on top of what Bird wants and kept Luc...
or a deal of that nature...

100% agree the risk v reward but it's interesting when we look deeper into things.

500k a season for a game changer isn't alot to fork out in today's market.
Most game changers are heading into the 700k+ bucket
Based on reports Nofa is 550+, AD is on 650, Brooks 700+ over the course of the current contract just to compare. Heck we are paying close to this for Mbye to play at the Dragons.

The cap is also expected to increase over the next few years.

We also have a large gap to fill for next year $$$$ wise which means the risk on year 2 & 3 could be reduced $$$ wise as well.

Again not saying we must sign him, just that the argument against we can cater for if we decided to go after him.

Re Lucy it's a good example of this:
1) If we matched or increased the Cowboys offer, he would be on alot more than Papa.
2) Cowboys offer was reported at 700k a year
3) Bird is after 500k and 3yrs.
- $500k over 3yrs v 700k+ over 3yrs (600k-800k difference).
- Is Lucy really 600k+ of a difference maker to Bird over 3yrs?
4) Games wise Lucy has played 31 to Birds 29 in the last 18mths
5) We have the roster need and cap space to keep Lucy and sign Bird for next 3yrs

I 100% agree with the concerns of his injury history which was 2yrs ago, I just find it interesting when we compare to options people present as who else that's all and breaking it down.

Bird I'm not sure about. He can cover alot of positions and not just a fill in. A attacking option.

Staying on the park is the main thing.

550k a year I could handle for 3 years. Nothing over.

100% agree the risk v reward but it's interesting when we look deeper into things.

500k a season for a game changer isn't alot to fork out in today's market.
Most game changers are heading into the 700k+ bucket
Based on reports Nofa is 550+, AD is on 650, Brooks 700+ over the course of the current contract just to compare. Heck we are paying close to this for Mbye to play at the Dragons.

The cap is also expected to increase over the next few years.

We also have a large gap to fill for next year $$$$ wise which means the risk on year 2 & 3 could be reduced $$$ wise as well.

Again not saying we must sign him, just that the argument against we can cater for if we decided to go after him.

Re Lucy it's a good example of this:
1) If we matched or increased the Cowboys offer, he would be on alot more than Papa.
2) Cowboys offer was reported at 700k a year
3) Bird is after 500k and 3yrs.
- $500k over 3yrs v 700k+ over 3yrs (600k-800k difference).
- Is Lucy really 600k+ of a difference maker to Bird over 3yrs?
4) Games wise Lucy has played 31 to Birds 29 in the last 18mths
5) We have the roster need and cap space to keep Lucy and sign Bird for next 3yrs

I 100% agree with the concerns of his injury history which was 2yrs ago, I just find it interesting when we compare to options people present as who else that's all and breaking it down.
When fit, Bird is a quality player. His arm is now suspected broken. For the right price maybe. 3 years adds to the risk. 2 years would be better.

Latest posts

Back