Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I don't think he's talking about performance bonuses, he's talking about a windfall payment for all players on the roster if the club is below its salary floor at the time it needs to have met its floor. So if you have a floor of $90 million or whatever it is and your 15-man roster (NBA) is only getting paid $80 million on their contracts they'll all get a 15th of the $10 million gap paid to them.
You wouldn't do it in the NRL, you would just re-jig some of the larger contracts on your books to bring forward payments into the current year.

It was mentioned that we have to spend our cap but there appear to be ways around it.

I reckon you could do it as a bonus based on Geo's post or as you state just re-jig bigger contracts.

At the risk of copping from everyone, I actually think Brookes has been good since moving to 6. I'd like him to stay with Douehi in the centres; or Brookes on the bench - he could play 1/2, 5/8, hooker, lock, etc - similiar to how Wing did at the Rorters..

He has been good. Brooks is a pretty good first grader. He'd have value off the bench as well.

He has been good. Brooks is a pretty good first grader. He'd have value off the bench as well.
Certainly could. His speed and defence are both strong. Could on after 20 or 30 mins. turn a game with his speed. Cover hooker, edge, middle, centre or in the halves.

Why are you dissing 12?
That’s a tremendous representation across the State’s four premier teenage rep teams. No one is saying they’re all going to play NRL, but it’s an indication of the strength of the region. An area in which the Wests Tigers have dropped the ball in recent years on every single player who has kicked on to reach the NRL.

I agree that former Wests Magpies juniors; Shannon Gallant, Robbie Mears, Shayne McMenemy & Joe Saukuru are the big hope to turn things around.

Not dissing it - It's kids, As I've said (More than once) All the good kids usually come through together....

I won't ask again, As you probably won't answer again....
Aside from Paseka - Who took years to come on...
I can't think of any kids that have come through in recent years to make a big dint in the comp that we've missed.

That was my question also. How many South West juniors debuted for anyone at all? It may be a an overall lack of talent in the region that is the cause of the stat, which then opens up a very broad argument not only about Wests Tigers investment in Macarthur juniors, but rugby league's prospects in the region overall.

The junior district stats from, I think it was 2018, showed that Balmain and Magpies have about the same number of juniors, and both dwarfed by the numbers fielded at Penrith. That may be a Magpies / WT issue, or it may be an issue with the demographics of the region itself.

Also - it may reflect an intentional change of strategy over time. The first 75 players to debut for Wests Tigers probably all occurred before the 2005 GF, and many of them were inherited from the Magpies, i.e. were part of the merger deal. The last 75 debutants would be up to 20 years removed from those first 75, reflecting a potentially very different recruitment and development strategy.

All my thoughts mate - I don't know the stats, But I'll bet there's more kids (with population growth) But less of a percentage of them playing Rugby League.
For many reasons - The least of them being Wests Tigers involvement in the area....
In fact, I don't believe that's a reason at all.

Well about Nado, young mate said that when he was in the juniors were playing the roster in training, he was never a “ don’t you know who I am” player.

He was first to give the youngsters tips and befriend everyone. Therefore on the personality grounds, the best nrl player he’s ever met.

And the kids looked up to him a lot more than the superstars.
Daine Laurie called him his "idol". Seemed stoked to have him here.

It's not even that Roosters find these kids at 15 or 16 and bring them in, which can reasonably be claimed to be a significant investment in a middle-juniors program (which is what they did with Manu and Latrell). No they barely bother with that any more, they wait for the boom to hit, then swoop. E.g. JWH after Manly identified him, Tedesco after being established at Tigers, Sam Walker stolen from Broncos, Crichton and Suaalii stolen from Souths, Cheese from Melbourne etc. etc. Almost anyone prominently decent were purchased at their prime, not carefully developed since early teens.
If that's right I honestly think it's a sign of complacency and the precursor of a bit of a fall from grace for the Roosters. There is an absolute world of difference between backing your ability to identify talent three or four years out from first grade and signing the same talent after it has played a year or two of first grade elsewhere. Manu and Lattrell would have been absolute bargains for the Roosters in their first couple of seasons, where none of those other players are or will be any more than decent value.

Obviously the Roosters have certain advantages that will always make them more appealing than the dollars on a contract (Bondi, professional club and coaching setup, prospect of success on the field, connections to the media and other commercial opportunities are the acknowledged ones). But unless they really are getting round the cap to the extent some people insist they are, building a roster by poaching other teams' first graders at the very, very least provides almost no room for error at all - and that applies to the Roosters just as much as it does to the Dogs.

Caveat: the difference is obviously that the Roosters are better at picking the right talent than the Dogs. If you never sign a duff contract you're basically fine however you go about putting a roster together. But it's pretty hard to get it right every time.

Can disagree all you like but you're actually wrong on this year and back of last year.

He has clearly worked on his discipline as handling errors and penalties have dropped off the face of the planet.

He has made 1 error in his last 9 games.

Panthers - 0
Bulldogs - 0
Knights - 0
Warriors - 0
Sharks - 0
Eels - 1
Souths - 0
Dragons - 0
Manly - 0
Not dissing it - It's kids, As I've said (More than once) All the good kids usually come through together....

I can't think of any kids that have come through in recent years to make a big dint in the comp that we've missed.
Paseka left because we couldn’t guarantee him a first grade spot , and at the time manly could. He played a couple from memory and was basically unsighted for 2 years .
I’m sure there was more to it , as it was Taylor after all , but that was the gist from memory . It seemed we had his best interests at heart , and manly fed him lies .
Still Taylor was an absolute buffoon . Imagine thinking the issue was Robbie and replacing him with Ballin . LOL

I would especially if I felt I was the guy doing more of the work or more important to the organisation.

Objectively,

Brooks Vs Hastings is my case in point.
I wouldn’t.

There are so many variables. If it meant a rep player strengthening the team I play in, buys into the coach and the playing group then 100k wouldn’t matter to me. I signed my own contract that I’m responsible for.

Does Hastings care in your example? He got his foot in the door in the NRL and is making the most of it. It might even motivate him to play better to get more $$ in his next contract.

I’m not sure why you keep saying all the good kids come through together. What does that matter?

To answer your question - off the top of my head, south-west corridor juniors to have reached NRL in modern times; James Tedesco, Dave Nofoaluma, Jesse Sue, Taniela Paseka, Ray Stone, Dean Britt, Trent Peoples, Sean Keppie ...

Paseka left because we couldn’t guarantee him a first grade spot , and at the time manly could. He played a couple from memory and was basically unsighted for 2 years .
I’m sure there was more to it , as it was Taylor after all , but that was the gist from memory . It seemed we had his best interests at heart , and manly fed him lies .
Still Taylor was an absolute buffoon . Imagine thinking the issue was Robbie and replacing him with Ballin . LOL

Knew all that....
But we're talking about superstar kids that came out of SWS to take the NRL by Storm.
Paseka is the only kid I can recall of late to come out of there and put a stamp on the game...

So, As of this post - There's 1

I’m not sure why you keep saying all the good kids come through together. What does that matter?

To answer your question - off the top of my head, south-west corridor juniors to have reached NRL in modern times; James Tedesco, Dave Nofoaluma, Jesse Sue, Taniela Paseka, Ray Stone, Dean Britt, Trent Peoples, Sean Keppie ...

Modern times aren't 10 years ago Buddy....
(We've only existed for 20 odd)
Peoples has played 2 games, I'll give you Keppie and Britt.

So where's this plethora of NRL talent that you're saying has been neglected by Wests Tigers?
Going off your post, Maybe the reason The WT's aren't looking at the Football in the SWS is there's nothing to look at?

Members online

Back