Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Agreed. In a Panthers team that laps most teams they play, he always looks ordinary. No thanks.
this, in a stacked panthers team he plays average, imagine the quality he would produce behind our non existent pack and non SOO representative halves

Reactions: Hmm
its war,take a number and get in line,lol,which era,H H folded in the 90's ,they had a few deaths 2 start off,they still going
Mid to late 90s in the juniors and then moved over to Eastwood Rugby come 16+. I think they still have juniors just no senior teams?

IMHO players better than Laurie are (in the order of preference):
Tedesco, T Trbojevic, Ponga, Walsh.

All other NRL FBs are either as good or behind Laurie.🐅
So Gutho, Edwards, Pap, Drinkwater, TMM, Latrell are all behind Laurie? 😄

Does anyone know for certain that William Kei has been released?

If so, that leaves us 3 roster spots to fill by 1 August (and possibly 4 if Peachey is moved on).

In fairness to him its hard to do a good job and develop your skills as a young player when there is a shit show in front of you every week.. We need to invest into forwards urgently that can make is easier for the back to excel.
That excuse doesn’t cut it for Brooks, so doesn’t cut it for Laurie either. I have said this about Simpkin in the past, but I think its true for Laurie too. Most young players at 21-22 are never complete players. They always have mistakes in them and their form will always fluctuate. However you will often see flashes of brilliance from them. Sam Walker and Reece Walsh are good recent examples of that. We’ve never seen that from Laurie. People will defend him, but I have never seen anyone point out one moment where he scored a brilliant try or set one up. He just isn’t that type of player. If he was, he‘d still be in the Panthers system.

Does anyone know if we can pay in advance to use salary cap this year eg api or papali before they arrive

That excuse doesn’t cut it for Brooks, so doesn’t cut it for Laurie either. I have said this about Simpkin in the past, but I think its true for Laurie too. Most young players at 21-22 are never complete players. They always have mistakes in them and their form will always fluctuate. However you will often see flashes of brilliance from them. Sam Walker and Reece Walsh are good recent examples of that. We’ve never seen that from Laurie. People will defend him, but I have never seen anyone point out one moment where he scored a brilliant try or set one up. He just isn’t that type of player. If he was, he‘d still be in the Panthers system.
Mate I have to agree with that assessment. I look at other young talent around the NRL and there is a wow factor in a lot of there games or game changing plays but it doesn't happen here often.
I can see why we are putting a lot of effect into development because with the size of our juniors we should be getting the numbers like Panthers etc..

Mate I have to agree with that assessment. I look at other young talent around the NRL and there is a wow factor in a lot of there games or game changing plays but it doesn't happen here often.
I can see why we are putting a lot of effect into development because with the size of our juniors we should be getting the numbers like Panthers etc..
Wow factor is an apt term. Laurie is severely lacking of that.

I don’t think we’ll be making any more signings until we’ve got a coach for next year, but they have to make a decision sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 851
Players off contract at end of 2023 include:

Origin squad players Daniel Tupou, Victor Radley, Ben Hunt, Damien Cook, Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin, Brian To’o, Murray Taulagi, Cameron Munster, Selwyn Cobbo, Thomas Flegler, Siosifa Talakai and Jeremiah Nanai come off contract after next season, meaning they are free agents from November 1 this year.

Canterbury’s Matt Burton is under contract until after 2024 but the final season is an option in his favour while Angus Crichton comes off after this year.

Reactions: 851
Players off contract at end of 2023 include:

Origin squad players Daniel Tupou, Victor Radley, Ben Hunt, Damien Cook, Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin, Brian To’o, Murray Taulagi, Cameron Munster, Selwyn Cobbo, Thomas Flegler, Siosifa Talakai and Jeremiah Nanai come off contract after next season, meaning they are free agents from November 1 this year.

Canterbury’s Matt Burton is under contract until after 2024 but the final season is an option in his favour while Angus Crichton comes off after this year.

Depending on who we get as coach it will be difficult to lure those players here, we have 15 players off contract after 23 plenty of cap but depending who’s coach, they won’t have a lot of pulling power to get them over to us.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back