Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Laurie will go to 6 if Staines comes over from penrith
No guarantee that will happen. Even if we do land Staines Laurie has not played 6 in first grade only in Cup and he was with the Panthers where even the water boy looks good. Laurie needs to actually play 6 in order to decide whether he will take over and more than likely unless Doueihi is unavailable as well as Hastings he won’t get a chance to play 6.

Full disclosure - I'm an Adam D fan.

He wants to win and has the fighters Attitude that we lack here at the tigers.

This is more than his pay check.

AD#6, Hastings#7, Joffa#13. (Repurpose Brook's 1 Mil)

No guarantee that will happen. Even if we do land Staines Laurie has not played 6 in first grade only in Cup and he was with the Panthers where even the water boy looks good. Laurie needs to actually play 6 in order to decide whether he will take over and more than likely unless Doueihi is unavailable as well as Hastings he won’t get a chance to play 6.
I agree I think Laurie at 6 is super risky but if they have Hastings at 13 then what Sheens has in Brooks and Laurie is pace either side of the ruck. It will cause havoc behind a good forward pack and it is a very Sheenius type of thing to try.
Hope they keep AD as centre as he could be great in that role

I don't really rate Staines either but for 2023 and beyond if Douhie is not the answer Tim and benji want at 6 then they may ask him to play centre. He may spit the dummy at that and if that is the case then he may move on.
I think Brooks survives mainly due to the long service discount and if Sheens can restructure the contract from 2024
If we want to keep Laurie at fullback then we can go for
7. Hastings
6. Brooks
I just think Sheens sees Hastings as that 13
which woukd likely leave
7. Brooks
6. Laurie
hence the need for Staines at 1
Better options on the market for Fullback from Nov 1 to sign for 24 than Staines. Garrick, Mitchell, even Munster himself said he prefers Fullback. Safe to say for 23 at least Laurie is 1 and Doueihi is 6 unless injuries and suspension come into play.

Full disclosure - I'm an Adam D fan.

He wants to win and has the fighters Attitude that we lack here at the tigers.

This is more than his pay check.

AD#6, Hastings#7, Joffa#13. (Repurpose Brook's 1 Mil)
Brooks 2024 salary will not be 1 million though
AD has the right attitude he is just not a 6 and joffa at 13 lacks the ball playing skills

Better options on the market for Fullback from Nov 1 to sign for 24 than Staines. Garrick, Mitchell, even Munster himself said he prefers Fullback. Safe to say for 23 at least Laurie is 1 and Doueihi is 6 unless injuries and suspension come into play.
Garrick would be a good pick up for fullback for 2024 or even RTS if he wants out of All Blacks
I just have a feeling Munster to dolphins hope I am wrong

Leinu looks good in a good Penrith pack
I woukd rather Klemmer he looks good in a Newcastle pack
Klemmer has been a good footballer for a long time. While he would be a good addition, his game is limited. Leinu offers x-factor that we lack. That ball running and aggression in defence we sorely miss. If we get both I would be happy.

Brooks 2024 salary will not be 1 million though
AD has the right attitude he is just not a 6 and joffa at 13 lacks the ball playing skills
Brooks has had more than enough time to lead the team. After 9 years going onto 10 he should be a leader he’s not even close to one. We need to try something different Brooks isn’t the answer. Not his fault for everything that’s happened but he hasn’t lifted when we needed him too.

Look at Klemmer's stats. He's absolutely still an elite prop and a capable pack leader. He generates second phase play and consistently gets over the advtanage line - a lot of this talk about his play being limited is wrong. He may not be the most damaging runner, but I'll take a guy who puts up a quality 150m+ and 25+ tackles a week no worries.

Garrick is a good goalkicking winger who can fill in at fullback. Laurie has great potential to play 1 or 6. Doueihi lacks the passing game and defence to be a 6.

Brooks has had more than enough time to lead the team. After 9 years going onto 10 he should be a leader he’s not even close to one. We need to try something different Brooks isn’t the answer. Not his fault for everything that’s happened but he hasn’t lifted when we needed him too.
you still receive a long service discount with Brooks so that restructured 2024 contract of $700k is really $500k
At 500k on the cap Sheens keeps him be that 7 or 6 with the difference he can offer Hastings the 200k extra to play 13

Leniu is 22 and carving it up.
His growth has huge potential. He is making breaks out of nothing & chases kicks down. Sure he is behind a Panthers pack but his effort and strength are on his drive & himself. He is an instant upgrade to our young pack.

Klemmer is an upgrade & instantly be our best prop, but we would need to move Musgrove or Twal. He still has years left to play as well.

I don’t however see how we can get both Leniu and Klemmer if we want Stefano to start as both would want to start. Our roster has alot of prop depth (not quality though) so players need to move or play other positions.

Getting either would also see Joe move to lock (Hastings either halfback or gone) unless he ends up on the left edge (mobility major issue).

Look at Klemmer's stats. He's absolutely still an elite prop and a capable pack leader. He generates second phase play and consistently gets over the advtanage line - a lot of this talk about his play being limited is wrong. He may not be the most damaging runner, but I'll take a guy who puts up a quality 150m+ and 25+ tackles a week no worries.
great player, no doubt about it. very hopeful we sign him as he is a massive upgrade on Tamou. I hope that it's not one or the other with Leniu and Klemmer. would love for us to have both. will finally create depth and competition for spots amongst our front rowers. also ensures that we have a heap of leaders for the likes of Matamua, Fa'agutu and Miller when they begin to play regular first grade.

you still receive a long service discount with Brooks so that restructured 2024 contract of $700k is really $500k
At 500k on the cap Sheens keeps him be that 7 or 6 with the difference he can offer Hastings the 200k extra to play 13
We shouldn’t be keeping Brooks at all after next year. I don’t give a crap that he’ll cost 500K after season I would rather spend our cap on a genuine 7 than pay Brooks again just to fail.

Even my Penrith Mates don't really rate Staines. He isn't the answer,

Daine L, will be like Papenhuyzen with a decent pack.

They didn't rate Laurie either I'll bet....
Laurie doesn't have Papenhuyzen work ethic....
Or his desire.

Laurie is bigger than Papenhuyzen and wouldn't have half the ticker...
- Need to be able to do more than catch a bomb sometimes for mine....

Personally think we should be throwing our hat in the David Fifita discussions

Both him and Spencer Leniu would be elite - both only 22
I don’t see Fifita leaving QLD but if he is up to it I’ll pass. Bloke is overrated IMO and the money it would cost to sign him ain’t worth it.

Garrick is a good goalkicking winger who can fill in at fullback. Laurie has great potential to play 1 or 6. Doueihi lacks the passing game and defence to be a 6.
Garrick has been solid playing Fullback at Manly I’ll be signing him to play 1 for us if we can. Laurie has potential but he’s got a lot to work on and we won’t make a decision to play him at 6 when he will most unlikely get to play 6 unless we have no other choice. Doueihi has stuff to work on as well but if we don’t snare Brown or Munster for 24, given there’s no other better talent to play 6 apart from them Doueihi will stay at 6.

Latest posts

Back