Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Its not a restraint. In this example it is simply supply & demand. The Rorters dont have a contract for Tedsco at 1.2 M. He might want to sign with them but he cant cause they simply dont have the money in their cap & want to spend their money eIsewhere(eg Sualli of Manu) I might want to buy a new BMW but i cant afford it. I think i should be able to get it for $1000 but the market dictates its worth $500 000. Its not a restraint of trade because the market has set the value.
But it is a restraint because you are putting restrictions upon Tedesco by placing a market value on him. He is not only the BMW but also the owner and if he wants to sell it at below market value he is entitled to do so.

The two major problems with the system you're suggesting, as far as I can see, are:
1) You don't have any place for TPAs. The NRL has decided TPAs are important as a way of making sure the code of rugby league is as competitive as it can be with external bidders for talent, so they ought to be factored in. What happens if club A's bid for a player is 800k and it comes with 300k of TPAs attached that are, as required, out of the club's hands, and club B's offer is 900k? Is club A required to increase its offer by 100k even though it is already the most lucrative deal on the table? If not, what value do the TPAs have?
2) There's no room for player preference. I have as many doubts as the next person about players "signing for unders to be part of a winning culture" at the Roosters, but equally it's pretty tough to force players to move to clubs they don't want to play for. I'm aware the AFL basically does this but (a) that system is under severe pressure and (b) that code doesn't have the same pressure from cross-code interest. Are you going to try to force a player who doesn't want to leave the ACT to sign for the Warriors even when the response is likely to be taking a contract from the Brumbies? Are you going to tell an 18 year old Indigenous kid from country Queensland that he has to go play for the Bulldogs because they've offered 70k a year more than the Cowboys?
Firstly i appreciate the discussion & everyone's ideas.
1- No need to regulate TPAS. A club could pay the players as much as they want "off the books". (just like ther Rorters do now. ) But this way , instead of the Rorters paying supposedly"700 K" to Tedesco under the salary cap they now are forced , like most other clubs to pay market value under their salary cap. They are made to adhere to the salary cap like everyone else. Essentially, if the Rorters wanted to pay Tedesco 10m in hidden payments it doesnt matter, cause they are still forced to pay market value for him, that value comes off the their salary cap, not the value they supposedly pay now.
2-No players are forced to sign anywhere. The players can sign with any club , however that club has to pay the market value for that player, as determined by the highest bidder.2 things could help with what you are suggesting- There is a long service discount & a developed junior discount.
The 18 yo kid from country QLD can still join the Cowboys , but the Cowboys have to match the offer the Bulldogs made. But also remember , there would be a junior discount for the Cowboys if that 18yo kid was developed through their systems , say 20%. This would keep juniors local & stop the Rorters picking the eyes out of the juniors after all the other clubs have done the hard work. One last thing, sometimes the 18 yo kids from country Qld cant get a contract with their preferred club.If they have the commitment to play NRL, they would take a start anywhere to get an opportunity.
I dont pretend to have all the answers & appreciate all the input & ideas.

Reactions: 851
But it is a restraint because you are putting restrictions upon Tedesco by placing a market value on him. He is not only the BMW but also the owner and if he wants to sell it at below market value he is entitled to do so.
Greg if what your suggesting was true i would be with you. However we all know Tedesco isnt selling himself at a discount . As it stands now, The Rorters determine a false market value cause we all know the Rorteres are paying more than "800k " for Tesdesco. Tedesco is NOT selling at below market value as you say . Thats the point. He is taking the 800k & ther rest off the books. His true market value is probably 1.4m. This system would make all that transparent.

Reactions: 851
I don't think that's the problem I think the problem is when they are not declared Tedesco can sell it below market value if he wants just declare it a bit like the cowboy players buying cheap house's or Scott Prices house up on the gold coast

Let's say that Tigers make the 1.2M offer to Teddy, knowing they are about to sign RTS, thus inflating the asking pricing for anyone else. Like I said, this approach provides too many ways to rort the system
Once again , if the Tigs sign Rts , they have to withdraw their offer immediately. Tedescos market value now becomes the next highest bidder( Say Parra at 1m) . His market value has now dropped from 1.2 M cause the Tigs withdrew the offer. His new value is 1M. No rorting there, transparent values .

Greg if what your suggesting was true i would be with you. However we all know Tedesco isnt selling himself at a discount . As it stands now, The Rorters determine a false market value cause we all know the Rorteres are paying more than "800k " for Tesdesco. Tedesco is NOT selling at below market value as you say . Thats the point. He is taking the 800k & ther rest off the books. His true market value is probably 1.4m. This system would make all that transparent.
It is still a restraint of trade though, money isn't the only consideration when choosing a workplace, there are many reason why someone may choose to work somewhere for less money. Under your system you are preventing someone from choosing their workplace even though the 2 parties have agreed to what they deem a fair salary, that is pretty much the definition of a restraint of trade. There is no way this would hold up.

In reality the salary cap is a restraint of trade as well but in my opinion it could be argued that it is a fair and reasonable restraint.

How about this for an idea because I think the point system is to hard you have the 17 nrl coaches 17 media and 17 former players submit a market value for each player ever year at the beginning of season and at the end to assess his value and divide it by all submissions to get market value it would take two/three days to do and in a contract year his value is current year plus previous year

His market value sits in the cap but you can TAP the Sh!T out of it if you want but no more Tedesco on 800k cap value

Hi Cobs sorry just saw your post. Can you transfer these posts please ? Thank you
It's ok mate, thanks. We dont move posts now because its confusing. We are only giving friendly reminders now if they go on for pages and/or someone complains. We all go off topic, I need reminding too 👍

Once again , if the Tigs sign Rts , they have to withdraw their offer immediately. Tedescos market value now becomes the next highest bidder( Say Parra at 1m) . His market value has now dropped from 1.2 M cause the Tigs withdrew the offer. His new value is 1M. No rorting there, transparent values .
What about the desires of the player? Should they not be able to say where they want to play? Also, money is not the only factor to be considered when signing a contract, particularly these young guys with a young family. Respectfully, your proposed model is flawed.

Not sure if my post makes sense
can't be bothered editing at the
moment but @watersider made a
good one earlier on and why it was
Introduced initially (to fend off
other codes in an already preety
much saturated market) and why the system is effectively still in place . A lot
of under the table stuff going on,
would be naïve to think otherwise
Kaito, I love how you buck the trend and post in portrait.

I understand that, but whilst ever the rest is off the books then for all intents and purposes Tedesco is selling below market value and any obstruction from allowing him to do so is a restraint.
Essentially you need to offer the RLPA a reason for them to agree to something that is a restraint.
Your point 2 (in another post) of cap concessions for long serving or developed players may be a start.

No Moses with the players leaders?

IMHO, he's developing into one of the best centres in the game, and probably a reasonable price.
Those Sharks centres had hype earlier last year and got found out pretty quick against better oppositions.

Manu is the #1 centre in the game and I'd have a few ahead of Ramien.

He's capable though, I'm not a fan.

Those Sharks centres had hype earlier last year and got found out pretty quick against better oppositions.

Manu is the #1 centre in the game and I'd have a few ahead of Ramien.

He's capable though, I'm not a fan.
Manu is in a league of his own .
Olam is floating somewhere near 2nd place.Penisini looks to have huge potential.
Staggs has all the tools ,keeps getting injured.

Latest posts

Back