Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

So, say I was a billionaire property developer. I don't sponsor the Tigers because then everything comes under the cap. I stay a 3rd party who pays players to be in my company's adverts or whatevs. Totally independent. Of course, the players don't get that moolah unless their with the Tigers.
That's what the Thoroughbreds do for the Broncos.

So, say I was a billionaire property developer. I don't sponsor the Tigers because then everything comes under the cap. I stay a 3rd party who pays players to be in my company's adverts or whatevs. Totally independent. Of course, the players don't get that moolah unless their with the Tigers.
Pretty much. One small clarification is sponsorship dollars aren't in the cap. They aren't a part of player salaries at all as They are covered by a payment from the NRL.They go to the expenses of running a club

This is still a restraint. Say in this example Roosters then withdraw their offer as they don't have the cap space. Tedesco is then unable to play at the club he wants to despite agreeing to terms with that club
This would stop the situation you are talking about. All offers are made public & registered with the NRL. .The Roosters can only withdraw the offer IF the player has not accepted it. Say Tigers offer Tedesco 1.2 M . That is now his market value. Before Tedesco accepts it, the Tiger sign RTS & withdraw the offer. The market value is now determined by the next lowest offer (say Parra offered 1 m )that is now Tedescos market price. But if Tedesco has agreed to terms with the Tigers BEFORE they withdrew the offer, , The tigers are contractually bound to honour that offer. It is not too disimilar to how things work now except it is transparent cause they all have to make public bids.

Open and transparent, I like that. So you're saying the highest bidder determines market value and whichever club manages to win the player over has to pay this market price? Great idea in principle but we all know that, in practice, players express a willingness to 'play for less' at the club they prefer. Also, how do we stop clubs making bogus offers, simply to push prices up. It's an interesting and important discussion to be had.
Bogus offers could blow up in the clubs face cause it would be registered with the NRL & if the player accepts it before the club withdraws it the club is contractually bound to hounor it.

What's Ethan Sanders' contract situation? Off contract for 2024?

If Eels retain MM, that will block his pathway as he is already 19 and about ready for his NRL debut me thinks. If we've made an offer as reported this could end up with a much bigger upside for Wests Tigers. We could have wrapped up many of the next-gen superstars for 2025...
If Moses does extend with Eels, something would surely give. Both highly talented Sanders and Blaze Talagi will be looking to play nrl before Moses next 5 years of footy and Dylan Browns retirement years. You would think they go elsewhere for an opportunity.

However, I thought the same with Pezet at Storm and he decided to play backup for the next 4 years to Munster and Hughes.

Bogus offers could blow up in the clubs face cause it would be registered with the NRL & if the player accepts it before the club withdraws it the club is contractually bound to hounor it.
Absolutely but I was thinking more of the problem with the inflated prices caused by it.

Absolutely but I was thinking more of the problem with the inflated prices caused by it.
Well the market would set the value. like i said, if the Tigers offered 1.2 & then withdrew it before the offer was accepted, the next higest offer would become his market value..(say Parra offered 1M ) . Now Tesdcos market value is 1 M( cause the Tigers withdrew their offer before Tedesco accepted it)

If Moses does extend with Eels, something would surely give. Both highly talented Sanders and Blaze Talagi will be looking to play nrl before Moses next 5 years of footy and Dylan Browns retirement years. You would think they go elsewhere for an opportunity.

However, I thought the same with Pezet at Storm and he decided to play backup for the next 4 years to Munster and Hughes.
Really wonder what the relationship post Marina is like between Buckets and Sheens now?

Well, its sounds like Moses is staying at Eels and at least we tried and made them pay more.

But ask yourself this question - If someone said to you the Tigers would sign Papa, Api, Bateman, Stains and Klemmer this off season you would have told them to stop smoking ...

IMO we have had an outstanding off season considering we got the spoon and there was also another team joining the comp with Wayne recruiting.

I am keen to see how Brooks and AD / Daine go behind this much improved forward pack and a more expansive game plan which would be pretty fun to play as a player.

Do you think we will extend Brooks or AD prior to the season starting? I would think if they were in high demand, they would have been signed by now either here or elsewhere.

I would have no problem with if the club tried to sign G Williams as he killed it in the WC and would suit our style.

Well the market would set the value. like i said, if the Tigers offered 1.2 & then withdrew it before the offer was accepted, the next higest offer would become his market value..(say Parra offered 1M ) . Now Tesdcos market value is 1 M( cause the Tigers withdrew their offer before Tedesco accepted it)
Also, I think they have to have it fit under the cap before NRL could register it..so that should stop outrageous offers just to spite another team

if you are a property director and you sponsor us and own other businesses, I believe you can arrange a TPA through them. Uncle Nick runs an investment business....

This would stop the situation you are talking about. All offers are made public & registered with the NRL. .The Roosters can only withdraw the offer IF the player has not accepted it. Say Tigers offer Tedesco 1.2 M . That is now his market value. Before Tedesco accepts it, the Tiger sign RTS & withdraw the offer. The market value is now determined by the next lowest offer (say Parra offered 1 m )that is now Tedescos market price. But if Tedesco has agreed to terms with the Tigers BEFORE they withdrew the offer, , The tigers are contractually bound to honour that offer. It is not too disimilar to how things work now except it is transparent cause they all have to make public bids.
I dont understand how this changes what i've said. Rooster have 700K available in their cap. Tedesco wants to play for them for 700K but Tigers offer 1.2M but Tedesco would rather play at the Roosters. This market value system leaves no outcome where Tedesco can get his desired outcome?

do people not yet realise that TPA’s have nothing to do with the club, it’s organised by agents or the player themselves and can no way shape or form be linked to the club, even if the person is just a mate of a ceo you cannot do it
Respectfully, this is very naive POV

I know from a FG player himself that there is a number of clubs including his own that will forego sponsorship money and re route it via TPVs at the discreet direction of the club.

Not arranged by the club on the surface.

It's not a bad idea, but boy it could make some lives weird.

"Guess what, New Zealand is your highest bid!"

I dont understand how this changes what i've said. Rooster have 700K available in their cap. Tedesco wants to play for them for 700K but Tigers offer 1.2M but Tedesco would rather play at the Roosters. This market value system leaves no outcome where Tedesco can get his desired outcome?
Clearly, if the roosters have only 700 k on their cap, Tedesco wasnt a priority. If he was, they would make sure they signed him first. In other words , they simply cant afford him . Thats what the cap does. Even out talent(or at least its supposed to). And Greg, im sure you are not that naive to believe that Tedesco is playing for "800k" now just for the love of the Rorters.

It's not a bad idea, but boy it could make some lives weird.

"Guess what, New Zealand is your highest bid!"
Yep crazy ,but the player doesnt have to sign with the club with the next highest bid.EG if Tedesco wanted to sign with the Rorters , he still could however it would cost the Rorters 1m. , because thats the amount New Zealand were willing to pay. It stops the Rorters making up there own "value" & paying the rest under the table.

Members online

Back