Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Well the market would set the value. like i said, if the Tigers offered 1.2 & then withdrew it before the offer was accepted, the next higest offer would become his market value..(say Parra offered 1M ) . Now Tesdcos market value is 1 M( cause the Tigers withdrew their offer before Tedesco accepted it)
Sounds good to me. There must be a point where a club is entitled to withdraw their offer in the instance they're being played, need to move on or they find a more suitable player. Do you think there should be a proviso, that if they're home grown, they can choose to stay for less money? I guess the whole point is to stop the topping up of salaries via TPAs.

Last edited:
I dont understand how this changes what i've said. Rooster have 700K available in their cap. Tedesco wants to play for them for 700K but Tigers offer 1.2M but Tedesco would rather play at the Roosters. This market value system leaves no outcome where Tedesco can get his desired outcome?

Clearly, if the roosters have only 700 k on their cap, Tedesco wasnt a priority. If he was, they would make sure they signed him first. In other words , they simply cant afford him . Thats what the cap does. Even out talent(or at least its supposed to). And Greg, im sure you are not that naive to believe that Tedesco is playing for "800k" now just for the love of the Rorters.
That's what the cap is meant to do.....I think Greg was merely surmising Champ.

Apparently Adrian Morley owns 6 pubs in The old dart
Wouldn't surprise me, there's so much that clubs can do to circumvent the cap. The NRL know and are powerless to stop it. They know only 2 - 3 clubs are within the spirit of the salary cap, if they penalised the rest we wouldn't have a comp.

Well the market would set the value. like i said, if the Tigers offered 1.2 & then withdrew it before the offer was accepted, the next higest offer would become his market value..(say Parra offered 1M ) . Now Tesdcos market value is 1 M( cause the Tigers withdrew their offer before Tedesco accepted it)

What is to stop clubs tendering bogus offers, only to withdraw them, raising the price for anyone else who wants to sign said player. Sounds like a system that could be easily abused IMO

Clearly, if the roosters have only 700 k on their cap, Tedesco wasnt a priority. If he was, they would make sure they signed him first. In other words , they simply cant afford him . Thats what the cap does. Even out talent(or at least its supposed to). And Greg, im sure you are not that naive to believe that Tedesco is playing for "800k" now just for the love of the Rorters.
It's not about what I believe happens. It is why this is still a restraint

TPAs are one of only three deciding factors that lead to premierships.
The others being coaching setups and injury/rehab capabilities.
They are that important.
Any club who doesn’t play the TPA game effectively results in extremely infrequent finals appearances.

What is to stop clubs tendering bogus offers, only to withdraw them, raising the price for anyone else who wants to sign said player. Sounds like a system that could be easily abused IMO
All offers are made public & registered with the NRL. .The Roosters can only withdraw the offer IF the player has not accepted it. Say Tigers offer Tedesco 1.2 M . That is now his market value. Before Tedesco accepts it, the Tiger sign RTS & withdraw the offer. The market value is now determined by the next highest offer (say Parra offered 1 m )that is now Tedescos market price. But if Tedesco has agreed to terms with the Tigers BEFORE they withdrew the offer, , The tigers are contractually bound to honour that offer. It is not too disimilar to how things work now except it is transparent cause they all have to make public bids.
Also bogus offers would be frought with danger as once the offer is registered , it cannot be withdrawn if the player has accepted it. EG say the Tigers want to up the price of Brandon Smith on the Rorters Tigs offer 2m . If Smith accepts this , the Tigers now have to honor it.

Sounds good to me. There must be a point where a club is entitled to withdraw their offer in the instance they're being played, need to move on or they find a more suitable player. Do you think there should be a proviso, that if they're home grown, they can choose to stay for less money? I guess the whole point is to stop the topping up of salaries via TPAs.
Yes, the club could withdraw their offer at any time before it is accepted by the player. Also there should be a percentage discount for local juniors & that percentage gradually increases the longer a players stays. This would stop clubs like the Rorters pilfering young players from Penrith, Tigs & Souths juniors and make them develop their own.

It's not about what I believe happens. It is why this is still a restraint
Its not a restraint. In this example it is simply supply & demand. The Rorters dont have a contract for Tedsco at 1.2 M. He might want to sign with them but he cant cause they simply dont have the money in their cap & want to spend their money eIsewhere(eg Sualli of Manu) I might want to buy a new BMW but i cant afford it. I think i should be able to get it for $1000 but the market dictates its worth $500 000. Its not a restraint of trade because the market has set the value.

Its not a restraint. In this example it is simply supply & demand. The Rorters dont have a contract for Tedsco at 1.2 M. He might want to sign with them but he cant cause they simply dont have the money in their cap & want to spend their money eIsewhere(eg Sualli of Manu) I might want to buy a new BMW but i cant afford it. I think i should be able to get it for $1000 but the market dictates its worth $500 000. Its not a restraint of trade because the market has set the value.
The two major problems with the system you're suggesting, as far as I can see, are:
1) You don't have any place for TPAs. The NRL has decided TPAs are important as a way of making sure the code of rugby league is as competitive as it can be with external bidders for talent, so they ought to be factored in. What happens if club A's bid for a player is 800k and it comes with 300k of TPAs attached that are, as required, out of the club's hands, and club B's offer is 900k? Is club A required to increase its offer by 100k even though it is already the most lucrative deal on the table? If not, what value do the TPAs have?
2) There's no room for player preference. I have as many doubts as the next person about players "signing for unders to be part of a winning culture" at the Roosters, but equally it's pretty tough to force players to move to clubs they don't want to play for. I'm aware the AFL basically does this but (a) that system is under severe pressure and (b) that code doesn't have the same pressure from cross-code interest. Are you going to try to force a player who doesn't want to leave the ACT to sign for the Warriors even when the response is likely to be taking a contract from the Brumbies? Are you going to tell an 18 year old Indigenous kid from country Queensland that he has to go play for the Bulldogs because they've offered 70k a year more than the Cowboys?

All offers are made public & registered with the NRL. .The Roosters can only withdraw the offer IF the player has not accepted it. Say Tigers offer Tedesco 1.2 M . That is now his market value. Before Tedesco accepts it, the Tiger sign RTS & withdraw the offer. The market value is now determined by the next highest offer (say Parra offered 1 m )that is now Tedescos market price. But if Tedesco has agreed to terms with the Tigers BEFORE they withdrew the offer, , The tigers are contractually bound to honour that offer. It is not too disimilar to how things work now except it is transparent cause they all have to make public bids.
Also bogus offers would be frought with danger as once the offer is registered , it cannot be withdrawn if the player has accepted it. EG say the Tigers want to up the price of Brandon Smith on the Rorters Tigs offer 2m . If Smith accepts this , the Tigers now have to honor it.
Let's say that Tigers make the 1.2M offer to Teddy, knowing they are about to sign RTS, thus inflating the asking pricing for anyone else. Like I said, this approach provides too many ways to rort the system

Members online

Back