Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

People seem to be giving it to Sheens and Pasco as we missed Moses and might be extending Brooks etc.. Not sure why as this really didn't play out in the media like past and the rest of the recruitment this off season is top class. (I would even say we have had the best recruitment this off season of all clubs)

Just a reminder of what we have lost and gained and its astonishing really:

TBH the only player from that Losses list I would have liked to kept was Hastings but the rest were just average 1st graders.

The gains have been outstanding and even without Moses I truly believe we are heading up the ladder..

I grade the Club an "A" and think people will be surprised just how good Brooks and AD will go this year with the freedom to just play eyes up footy.

Agree our recruiting has been top notch compared to other clubs.

I get why many aren’t comfortable with the possibility of Brooks being extended before he has taken the field or AD being extended also. They should get runs on the board.

But also realize there just aren’t better options at the moment and for the price of their extensions if we did snare a awesome half option then have zero doubts either could be moved on given either won’t break the bank.

If we went for Dodd or Welbsy doubt we could get them for 24, Williams can’t see coming back after what happens last time. Not much left around the traps to even try for 24. If we get a rookie & they didn’t perform Sheens and co would cop it.

The Dolphins hiring Kristian Woolf was a very smart move. The guy is an absolute animal. Turned St. Helens into the best defensive team we've seen in thirty years. Brutal stuff. Anybody who thinks they're going to the Dolphins for an easy pay check are in for a nasty surprise. With Woolf you either bring your A-game all day every day or you're done. Not saying they'll set the competition on fire. But they'll be competitive.

You might struggle to get Williams. Ricky Stuart really did a number on that kid. The way he and the club fed their mates in the media (Kenty, in particular) a stream of negative headlines about George (who had been living away from home for a long time with a young kid on the way) was scandalous. I lost a lot of respect for Sticky on that one. Remember, the stories were so bad his teammates were forced to take unprecedented steps to attack their own club. Wouldn't be surprised if Williams is scarred for life. Dodd will definitely come to the NRL. I know this for a fact. He's made no secret about it. Top, top class player. Maybe the best scrum half I've seen coming out of the UK in thirty years. He's nearly two years younger than Welsby and yet he plays like a veteran. To give you an idea about his influence - St. Helens went from an average winning margin of +20 points to +6 immediately after he ruptured his Achilles. I was extremely worried about what impact that injury would have on him - but he went straight into the Panthers game after nine months out and looked as good as ever. We were "fortunate" he suffered that horrific injury just after he turned 20 while the body still has peak blood circulation to the legs and those growth hormones are still flowing. Had he suffered it five years later - big problems. The upshot is that Achilles probably set Dodd's NRL plans back by a year or so. He'll want to get at least one or two seasons of top form into his game in SL so he can maximise his earning potential. Coming over now wouldn't be a good idea.
Is Dodd the one that was kicking on 3rd tackle 60-70m in the air

Not being a native of Australia I just don't get why the Knights always seem to possess one of the worst cultures in the NRL. Players constantly getting caught up in off-the-field problems. Even when they were at their peak they always seemed to be lurching from one disaster to the next. Andrew Johns papered over a lot of cracks.
Andrew Johns opened the cracks...

You might struggle to get Williams. Ricky Stuart really did a number on that kid. The way he and the club fed their mates in the media (Kenty, in particular) a stream of negative headlines about George (who had been living away from home for a long time with a young kid on the way) was scandalous. I lost a lot of respect for Sticky on that one. Remember, the stories were so bad his teammates were forced to take unprecedented steps to attack their own club. Wouldn't be surprised if Williams is scarred for life. Dodd will definitely come to the NRL. I know this for a fact. He's made no secret about it. Top, top class player. Maybe the best scrum half I've seen coming out of the UK in thirty years. He's nearly two years younger than Welsby and yet he plays like a veteran. To give you an idea about his influence - St. Helens went from an average winning margin of +20 points to +6 immediately after he ruptured his Achilles. I was extremely worried about what impact that injury would have on him - but he went straight into the Panthers game after nine months out and looked as good as ever. We were "fortunate" he suffered that horrific injury just after he turned 20 while the body still has peak blood circulation to the legs and those growth hormones are still flowing. Had he suffered it five years later - big problems. The upshot is that Achilles probably set Dodd's NRL plans back by a year or so. He'll want to get at least one or two seasons of top form into his game in SL so he can maximise his earning potential. Coming over now wouldn't be a good idea.
I think it would be a bloody great idea!

I think what stinks about the Chooks is, they let these clubs on struggle street pour bucket loads of cash trying to develope talent by bringing kids up through the grades and when a good one emerges, they just come along and pluck him from under their nose.

Dont know what the answer is and certainly don’t want to open up the salary cap debate, but it is not good for the game…but does Peter V care, no he could not give a dam
Completely agree. I hate reading all the whinging about their salary cap when the reality is noone knows what players sign for or has any evidence of them breaching anything. But the way they can cherry pick the best options from throughout the comp, legally or otherwise, isn't a great look.

The danger when attempting to fill such an influential position is getting a millstone contract wrapped around your neck which you can't get out of. Top class scrum halves are incredibly rare. Just look at the Titans. Holbrook made the foolish mistake of thinking he could get rid of Fogarty (who isn't even elite) and they blew a ton of games because they didn't have someone sufficiently influential to take control of the game when momentum started to shift. If you aren't 100% certain about a potential #7 I'd always err on bolstering the pack and waiting until the right guy comes available. But there are ... what ... six or seven real difference making #7s in the NRL? A lot of competition. I recently saw a photograph on Twitter where the Bulldogs and Gould had invited St. Helens CEO Mike Rush and coach Paul Wellens to dinner at the club while they were over for the WCC. Whilst there are good relations between St. Helens & the Dogs stretching back to the James Graham trade I imagine the futures of Welsby and Dodd were high up on the agenda for discussion.
Great post.

I hope Holbrook can survive. He really turned my club around and we owe him a lot. His failure to address some pretty fundamental issues (letting Fogarty go without an adequate replacement and the running sideshow which is Fifita) is a concern. The fact that he didn't lose the dressing room after so many heartbreaking losses suggests he's doing something right. But he can't have another year like the last one.
Tanah Boyd is a more than adequate replacement. In fact, I think he's a good advertisement for giving young halves a go, rather than paying top dollar. Cooper Johns has surprised as well, Sean O'Sullivan and Isayiah Katoa will go well at the dolphins, Ezra Mam, Luke Metcalf, Dean Hawkins, they're all potential top liners.

Yea, ah Nah.
Kenny + Jesse Bromwich, Felise Kaufusi + Mark Nichols... EseEse, etc.

Their front row is massive and they won't be walked over. Their backs will lack coordination, Wayne will sort that out after a few games.

Hammer is out so I don't expect them to go too far. I also don't expect them to be walked over. I expect losses, but less then 4 point losses.
Agreed. They won’t be easy beats.

Is Dodd the one that was kicking on 3rd tackle 60-70m in the air
Yep. He's a very good kicker. Will need to improve for the NRL because the defences are so strong. But I don't see it as a problem. He works hard at his game and is very professional. The Panthers tried to get him years ago when he came over and put a beatdown on some of their best youngsters. Quick. An eye for a gap. But it's his leadership and influence which make the difference. With Dodd there's never any panic. Never any passes which are up around the ears or the bootlaces. Quick and accurate passing - time after time. And the bonus with him is his defence is absolutely rock solid. Missed the fewest tackles of any scrum half in the competition by a wide margin. These days you really can't afford a scrum half who is a defensive liability. He's the complete player. I've no doubts he will become one of the best in the business. None.

@THE_POM isaac moses plays Pascoe again?

How else can club justify signing brooks on a 2 yr extension before a ball has been kicked and we haven’t played finals in 9 years of him playing half back?

In what world does that make sense?

Just means we no longer are going to be looking at other half options which may or may not come up in the next year…. As we all know players break contracts / get home sick / want more money / fall out with coaches etc …

Why not wait until round 8 at least to sign brooks?

Even if ISaac is telling the club he has offers elsewhere - if brooks loves the club surely we have a bit of leverage and if not move on.

I’d rather sign brooks in round 8 for $850k per year for two years knowing he was succeeding and playing well rather than sign him now for $650k for two years and take the risk by round 8 he’s still not performing….. and that’s assuming we signed him now for circa $650k (you can bet we paid more and that’s not even the point)

Pascoe is honestly isaac moses golden ticket b*tch…. Isaac moses probably loves negotiating with the tigers. He gets everything he wants. Gus could picked it early.
Pascoe should tell LB to get a new manager as WT are not going to deal with anyone managed by IM.

This is how it is done. Have a listen to the Bye Round podcast with Jimmy Graham and Mark Bouris.
They get the players to have sit downs with highly successful business people who can help/advise on making the most of their money during and after footy. They may take 250k under but it will work out to be much more fruitful with successful investments.
You can pay $5k to engage the services if a good financial planner. At $250k they’d need to be getting something else.

Certainly a shame but not the end of the world. Good squad at the moment with plenty of places we can continue to improve. Looks like Brooks & Doueihi are the halves for minimum this season and next (and probably longer than that too). FIngers crossed we can get Brooks' salary down to what, 750-800k? Curious on people's (fair, please no more Brooks rants......) opinion on what Brooks is worth.
I think 750 is about right, but i also think we could get him a little cheaper. There are very few other options for Brooks. Souths and Dogs probably the only 2 clubs that would take him and i dont see either of them having cap space for an offer of more than about 5-600K.

Tanah Boyd is a more than adequate replacement. In fact, I think he's a good advertisement for giving young halves a go, rather than paying top dollar. Cooper Johns has surprised as well, Sean O'Sullivan and Isayiah Katoa will go well at the dolphins, Ezra Mam, Luke Metcalf, Dean Hawkins, they're all potential top liners.
They need Foran to stay fit. They need his experience. The kids have all the enthusiasm in the world. But when you blow a twenty point lead and panic sets in you really need a veteran to make cool and calm decisions. I enjoy their style of play (Holbrook loves to give the ball air) - but sometimes you need to be boring and win the game.

Back