Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Our team was better but we are a poorly coached side.
I’d argue we were a poorly selected side.
If Talau didn’t sit out if his 200 passes a day training sessions earlier in the year we would have had a couple more tries.
Might as well throw Reilly in now the seasons done and see what he can do.

That was me- my guy seemed pretty adamant, however nothing since. I DID suggest a pinch or two of salt. The 'word' was a Warriors half. He later named Metcalf. It could turn out to be Volkman and that wouldn't surprise me either.
Don’t want volkman watched him last week he was bloody terrible

Leeds Rhinos star Blake Austin says he would be open to an NRL return with his future still yet to be confirmed in Super League.

Austin, 32, has previously stated his desire of remaining at Headingley Stadium beyond the current campaign, with his current contract set to expire at the end of the season.

However, speaking on the JBK podcast, the Australian playmaker revealed that he would be open to an NRL return, eyeing up a specific position in which he think he could help improve clubs.

image.jpg

Powell unmoved for 15 minutes after...
image.jpg

Burrow takeover | Standing ovation for...
image.jpg

Leeds to host MND Awareness game |...
image.jpg

Rob Burrow Family Takeover for MND...
image.jpg

Watson: I'd be lying if I said it...
image.jpg

Tomkins: Warrington desperately missing...
image.jpg

Powell: We're fractions away from...
image.jpg

Peet: A big win against a good team
image.jpg

Wardle: We had to go back to basics
image.jpg

McNamara: We had to overcome adversity
image.jpg

Wellens: I'm really proud | We went...
image.jpg

Tomkins: Our biggest win of the year
<
>

“I’m off contract at Leeds and whatever will be will be,” Austin said.

“I’ve never been afraid to do things a little bit differently, that’s why coming over [to England] at 27 wasn’t an issue for me.

“If an opportunity came up to go home, that’s something I’d certainly look at.

“I know my kids would push me into it and force me to look at something like that. But I’m really confident with where I’m at.

“I’m a pretty confident guy. I still believe I could go back and be the best 14 in the comp and really add to a team that have are doing really well.

“Personally, I really think I could do a really good job as a 14. I don’t think clubs will look at me much at a starting half, but I could certainly come back and add to a squad and do what I do best.”

Blake Austin still has desire to win Super League

Austin made the initial switch to England with Warrington Wolves ahead of the 2019 campaign from Canberra Raiders, having also featured for Penrith Panthers and Wests Tigers in the NRL.

And several NRL clubs are looking to bolster their squad for the 2024 campaign. The Tigers will lose Luke Brooks to Manly Sea Eagles at the end of the season, while Ben Hunt is looking for an exit at the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Tim Sheens is also expected to offload several big name players at Wests Tigers, including playmakers Brandon Wakeham and the current injured Adam Doueihi.

“They can give me a call if they want,” Austin said on Wests Tigers, who are also said to be interested in Salford’s Brodie Croft and Leeds half-back Aidan Sezer.

Austin however did reveal that he still has aspirations of winning a Super League title, having reached the Grand Final under Rohan Smith last year, falling to a 24-12 defeat to St Helens at Old Trafford.

“I’m really comfortable where I’m at. I’d love to win a title over here and I’d love to win a Challenge Cup,” he added.
Not the quote/attitude I’d want to hear.

“They can give me a call if they want,” Austin said on Wests Tigers.

He should be the one asking his manager to call us.

Tass will not join us. End of story.

We won't be signing good players from good clubs.

We'd have to offer him 600-700k to have a chance of getting him, and that's not happening....
I raised him as Rabbits may need to release someone with the incoming Wighton. He may be seen as surplus to requirements & he warrants 1st 13 selection.

We need some experience, unfortunately there isn't much available.

I'd go Sezer, but then also bring on board Austin and TMM considering Laurie is rumoured to be on the way out and Wakeham, although has been serviceable just isn't a first grade player, train and trial at most for him.

TMM is still quick, so he can play anywhere 1-7 if there is an injury, and Austin is a bit bigger but could play 6, 14, 18 or fill in the centres or lock.

Hopefully could snag the lot on short 1-2 year deals and stay in the market for a quality long term 7 to partner Fainu.

At worst 2 out of 4 of Sezer, Fainu, Austin and TMM could be playing reserves each week so we have some legitimate depth when injuries strike and never have to rely on Wakeham, Smith or Toa in the halves again.

Last edited:
Our team was better but we are a poorly coached side.
I disagree. I think having Wakeham and Laurie as your halves pairing trumps any advantage in the forward pack. Ben Hunt managed that game well. Whereas If I have to watch Wakeham boot another ball into the advertising from 5m out I will pack it in. I will judge the coaching once there is a decent controlling half in the side.

Moving Doueihi on would be shrewd.
I’d keep him on for 2 reasons …

- Reinforces how our club supports players in terrible times / injury rehab & bad image/PR if we try to offload whilst under contract with a major injury.
- We will need to create spots at the end of next season too so it would be wise to let him depart when off-contract. We will need space for the Laulilii brothers & big Jordan into top 30 for ‘25. Thus I would keep Douehi, Reilly & Ngatakuira for next season.

- Reinforces how our club supports players in terrible times / injury rehab & bad image/PR if we try to offload whilst under contract with a major injury.
- We will need to create spots at the end of next season too so it would be wise to let him depart when off-contract. We will need space for the Laulilii brothers & big Jordan into top 30 for ‘25. Thus I would keep Douehi, Reilly & Ngatakuira for next season.

Any idea the earliest he can make it back?

He’ll have to retire Young like Moltzen. Poor guy is going to hate life when he hits 50.

Not the quote/attitude I’d want to hear.

“They can give me a call if they want,” Austin said on Wests Tigers.

He should be the one asking his manager to call us.
In context- he's a surprisingly frank talker. He's talking about coming back to a 'successful team' because playing as a half is more about doing things for others, he finds being 'unshackled' with those kinds of demands exciting.

I'm not advocating signing him, I just see a value to it.

I don't think the club is in a position to simply remove players of that talent. I think they owe it to themselves to at least see if he can come back.
He did comeback, and did his leg again. It’s getting to the point he‘s a lost cause. Disappointing, because fully fit he adds a lot of value.

If Sezar does sign...here's the thing. Those 2 guys have played together a lot. It's an instant combination. Even if they are 'past it', until the young guys take over...they at least understand what they expect from each other.

He looked like Brad fittler he's last game on kayo.

He did comeback, and did his leg again. It’s getting to the point he‘s a lost cause. Disappointing, because fully fit he adds a lot of value.
He's on contract for 1 more year. He'll probably be fit for half of it. What do you possibly gain moving him on? Who takes him in this state? I think you just have to see how he comes back. If fit, he's in the top 13 players in the club, despite a fair bit of vitriol against him among the supporters.

Not having a go because I agree with the sentiment. Players are people too ☺️. The club needs to be more selfish to become successful.

1) I think we can support players outside the cap.
2) we need halves now! We have have had no problem moving players on this season with no replacements lined up.

The sooner we move douehi outside the cap the better for the squad.

He's on contract for 1 more year. He'll probably be fit for half of it. What do you possibly gain moving him on? Who takes him in this state? I think you just have to see how he comes back. If fit, he's in the top 13 players in the club, despite a fair bit of vitriol against him among the supporters.
Could almost medically retire him at this point. Look, next year is a write off anyway, so might as well see him out. Couldn’t possibly re-sign him on good money.

Could almost medically retire him at this point. Look, next year is a write off anyway, so might as well see him out. Couldn’t possibly re-sign him on good money.
If he doesn't really get back on the field, I'd say he'd be looking for a 1 year 'prove it' deal after that. All I'm saying is, if he's actually fit, he's probably our best centre at this stage.

Latest posts

Members online

Back