Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

A lot of people predicting brooks will be good at Manly. I don't see it. His issue is decision making and reading the game. He also is inconsistent in both kicking and passing. He rarely throws a cut out pass, and somehow always takes the wrong option on short balls to forwards or passing to the backline. You just can't hide those things.

Personally, I think Arthurs is a much better foil to DCE. Smart player with good kicking and passing. I don't understand what manly is doing.

I'm also loving the DCE defending brooks headlines and brooks talking about the fresh start over there. So glad we don't have to put up with them. Remember Owen craigie's perpetual offseason headlines about weight loss and reform? Can't wait for brooks to just be 'enjoying his football' and being 'freed up to play my game' and loving the 'lack of pressure'. Such a weak attitude, the guy hates grit.
Omg 😳 absolutely all of this 👆. Every word, it’s exactly what anyone that can understands what Brooks lacks had Ben saying for years… it’s so blatant and it’s what really worried me this year with sheens going with brooks again.. like if sheens cannot see this problem with Brooks game he either hasn’t even watched his career or doesn’t care about any of it… either way it was ominous for the footy team this year

leave admin to Robbie??? Seriously? He has zero experience in league admin. None.

Our club's administration is not the place for a rookie to learn the ropes, especially someone who get's so many people offside. He has to demonstrate that he both has the skills and the temperament for a job like that. He's still too immature, picking fights with people. He 'should' be a long way off our list of priorities.
Look, I think Admin is the wrong job for Robbie Farah. But Farah could do it.
Yes he is inexperienced. Except 10 years of the Wests tigers, of knowing what tape/supplies to order and what to bring for a game.

I wouldn't put him in Adminstration but Business development with a really good mentor.

Rua,

Went from rising star to on the scrap heap real quick.
Had 1 good trial game in 2022 and everyone was talking about him being the next Steve Walters. Trial game in 2023 was very average. Never kicked on for whatever reason. Having Api and Jake is a bit of a road block. Dude will be 27 or 28 before Api leaves.

If Sullivan doesn't work out I would go hard for Luai to play halfback.

Luai will be off the market by the time we work out yeah or nah on Sully.

Makes zero sense to have the stockpile of junior quality halves in our ranks and then sign Luai also for 25 on a multi year deal unless we don’t have confidence in those players.

Pivot that money into some quality backs / lock / damaging backrower.

I really like him. He can play really straight and play inside to out with a big fend like Terry Hill perfected. That's great variety. Plays physical in defence too. So a lot to like IMO.
Hi he looks like natural left centre with that fend don't understand why he was playing right centre in first grade looks the goods on the left

I talked to one of our development players who was a fullback a couple of years ago. I forget his name. He said it's a brutal system. He was clearly on the way out when he told me that.

If you don't deliver you aren't going to be retained.
So true.

But then, think about it.
If you're lucky, you get to play in the junior reps.
Then progress up the grades - where places are limited.
Then it all funnels into the top grade, where opportunities are very very limited.
So if you factor in injuries, luck, "playing favourites" and simple maths, it stands to reason not many really make it.
Hats off to those who do.

I talked to one of our development players who was a fullback a couple of years ago. I forget his name. He said it's a brutal system. He was clearly on the way out when he told me that.

If you don't deliver you aren't going to be retained.
Api mentioned as such on the podcast when they threw Bula in there and he expressed concerns.

"Sink or swim" he was told.

So true.

But then, think about it.
If you're lucky, you get to play in the junior reps.
Then progress up the grades - where places are limited.
Then it all funnels into the top grade, where opportunities are very very limited.
So if you factor in injuries, luck, "playing favourites" and simple maths, it stands to reason not many really make it.
Hats off to those who do.
The best way to make first grade is to be the best player in reserve grade by the length of the Flemington straight. Unless you’re doing that you don’t really have a right to complain that you were dudded. You just weren’t as good as you thought.

Api mentioned as such on the podcast when they threw Bula in there and he expressed concerns.

"Sink or swim" he was told.

Thats motivation for these young guys imo, you perform and keep your place you will be rewarded. In Bula's case not only did he perform but he exceeded expectations massively, you have to attribute that to his character.
Inevitably you are going to get these guys who have talent but can't or don't perform when they get their opportunity and they move on. Maybe they do better in another system it happens, we will lose some that turn out to be decent and probably retain some that are not up to it. Tumeth is an example of that imo he is not up to it his extension was a mistake he's someone i'd like to see the club move on, perhaps he performs elsewhere.

Thats motivation for these young guys imo, you perform and keep your place you will be rewarded. In Bula's case not only did he perform but he exceeded expectations massively, you have to attribute that to his character.
Inevitably you are going to get these guys who have talent but can't or don't perform when they get their opportunity and they move on. Maybe they do better in another system it happens, we will lose some that turn out to be decent and probably retain some that are not up to it. Tumeth is an example of that imo he is not up to it his extension was a mistake he's someone i'd like to see the club move on, perhaps he performs elsewhere.
Agree. The key is not setting the bar beyond reasonable expectations.

Back