Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I really like him. He can play really straight and play inside to out with a big fend like Terry Hill perfected. That's great variety. Plays physical in defence too. So a lot to like IMO.
Hi he looks like natural left centre with that fend don't understand why he was playing right centre in first grade looks the goods on the left

I talked to one of our development players who was a fullback a couple of years ago. I forget his name. He said it's a brutal system. He was clearly on the way out when he told me that.

If you don't deliver you aren't going to be retained.
So true.

But then, think about it.
If you're lucky, you get to play in the junior reps.
Then progress up the grades - where places are limited.
Then it all funnels into the top grade, where opportunities are very very limited.
So if you factor in injuries, luck, "playing favourites" and simple maths, it stands to reason not many really make it.
Hats off to those who do.

I talked to one of our development players who was a fullback a couple of years ago. I forget his name. He said it's a brutal system. He was clearly on the way out when he told me that.

If you don't deliver you aren't going to be retained.
Api mentioned as such on the podcast when they threw Bula in there and he expressed concerns.

"Sink or swim" he was told.

So true.

But then, think about it.
If you're lucky, you get to play in the junior reps.
Then progress up the grades - where places are limited.
Then it all funnels into the top grade, where opportunities are very very limited.
So if you factor in injuries, luck, "playing favourites" and simple maths, it stands to reason not many really make it.
Hats off to those who do.
The best way to make first grade is to be the best player in reserve grade by the length of the Flemington straight. Unless you’re doing that you don’t really have a right to complain that you were dudded. You just weren’t as good as you thought.

Api mentioned as such on the podcast when they threw Bula in there and he expressed concerns.

"Sink or swim" he was told.

Thats motivation for these young guys imo, you perform and keep your place you will be rewarded. In Bula's case not only did he perform but he exceeded expectations massively, you have to attribute that to his character.
Inevitably you are going to get these guys who have talent but can't or don't perform when they get their opportunity and they move on. Maybe they do better in another system it happens, we will lose some that turn out to be decent and probably retain some that are not up to it. Tumeth is an example of that imo he is not up to it his extension was a mistake he's someone i'd like to see the club move on, perhaps he performs elsewhere.

Thats motivation for these young guys imo, you perform and keep your place you will be rewarded. In Bula's case not only did he perform but he exceeded expectations massively, you have to attribute that to his character.
Inevitably you are going to get these guys who have talent but can't or don't perform when they get their opportunity and they move on. Maybe they do better in another system it happens, we will lose some that turn out to be decent and probably retain some that are not up to it. Tumeth is an example of that imo he is not up to it his extension was a mistake he's someone i'd like to see the club move on, perhaps he performs elsewhere.
Agree. The key is not setting the bar beyond reasonable expectations.

Reilly showed ability.

But, it's been this 'written in stone' belief of so many young players coming through the ranks that has bitten the club over & over.

Reilly might turn out good. But, until he EARNS that role, he must have decent competition to beat out. The club needs 2 guys, wingers, centres or a combination of both, to make Tupou, To'a, Reilly etc WIN their starting positions. Not just get them because there's not much else.

Momorovski, Hymel Hunt, Corey Allen...these guys fit. Good enough to hold the spot. Not so good that they block the path of the young talent coming through. It makes the club depth that much better if your top line guys are not just handed a position.
These three are not upgrades on To'a and Tupou as centres, particularly on ceiling alone.

I look at centres stocks across the league as a tiered system.

Top tier would be elite talent, eg, Manu. Quality tier would be rep-quality centres that can, but don't consistently, turn or dictate games, eg, Staggs, Best. Solid tier would be regular first grade centres that are consistently picked and do a decent job, eg, Reimis Smith, Ramien.

Then there's a split tier, you have your journeymen or spot fillers that are good enough, have maxed out their ability, whilst their team is often exploring an upgrade if they can, eg, Momirovski, Allen, Hunt. The other half is the young, inconsistent, but have shown potential to be quality, eg, Tupou, To'a and even someone along the lines of Lomax.

In my opinion, there is very little point moving between the split tier, unless you see someone in that tier that has a particular skill set that suits your team's playing style better than who you currently have. Otherwise, it's a redundant move.

Personally, of players in the split tier, I would mostly lean towards the high ceiling types, as I'd be willing to forgo instant results if it means a greater outcome in terms of the quality of that player in the long term. The caveat to that would be to have the ability to rapidly identify those that will not reach those heights and make a change.

So, for me, I would avoid those types of names you mentioned, considering who we have on deck. Though, that's not to say I wouldn't definitely be looking for an upgrade at centre if there are options in those higher tiers.

Centre is a funny position..

Last edited:
He signed a long term contract but he is exactly what we need. We need some class.

That is why I think we are dependent on guys like Fainu, Sullivan, Galvin and maybe even both Laulilii's.

Recruiting those guys once they've made it is really hard because there are only so many established stars who leave their teams and it's not many at all.
is Galvin leaving the club ?

He signed a long term contract but he is exactly what we need. We need some class.

That is why I think we are dependent on guys like Fainu, Sullivan, Galvin and maybe even both Laulilii's.

Recruiting those guys once they've made it is really hard because there are only so many established stars who leave their teams and it's not many at all.
With four Qld teams, the number of Qld players moving to Sydney or Melbourne may reduce. The squeeze will be on for available talent in Sydney. With our large junior areas, this is where we have a large advantage over some other Sydney teams and the Storm.

These three are not upgrades on To'a and Tupou as centres, particularly on ceiling alone.

I look at centres stocks across the league as a tiered system.

Top tier would be elite talent, eg, Manu. Quality tier would be rep-quality centres that can, but don't consistently, turn or dictate games, eg, Staggs, Best. Solid tier would be regular first grade centres that are consistently picked and do a decent job, eg, Reimis Smith, Ramien.

Then there's a split tier, you have your journeymen or spot fillers that are good enough, have maxed out their ability, whilst their team is often exploring an upgrade if they can, eg, Momirovski, Allen, Hunt. The other half is the young, inconsistent, but have shown potential to be quality, eg, Tupou, To'a and even someone along the lines of Lomax.

In my opinion, there is very little point moving between the split tier, unless you see someone in that tier that has a particular skill set that suits your team's playing style better than who you currently have. Otherwise, it's a redundant move.

Personally, of players in the split tier, I would mostly lean towards the high ceiling types, as I'd be willing to forgo instant results if it means a greater outcome in terms of the quality of that player in the long term. The caveat to that would be to have the ability to rapidly identify those that will not reach those heights and make a change.

So, for me, I would avoid those types of names you mentioned, considering who we have on deck. Though, that's not to say I wouldn't definitely be looking for an upgrade at centre if there are options in those higher tiers.

Centre is a funny position..
You would have to say that there really are very few 'Elite" tier centres in the whole league currently. Manu is on a bit of an island, you'd maybe put someone like Val Holmes in there but he really lacked consistency this year.
And you'd have to assume that the lack is centres is directly related to the salary scaling of spine positions and as a result the likes of Latrell Mitchell, Stephen Critchon and Hamiso Fidow taking more money to play FB even if they aren't nearly as effective in that role.

You would have to say that there really are very few 'Elite" tier centres in the whole league currently. Manu is on a bit of an island, you'd maybe put someone like Val Holmes in there but he really lacked consistency this year.
And you'd have to assume that the lack is centres is directly related to the salary scaling of spine positions and as a result the likes of Latrell Mitchell, Stephen Critchon and Hamiso Fidow taking more money to play FB even if they aren't nearly as effective in that role.
Yeh, I agree.

Latrell would be top tier, if he played centre.

Crichton and Hammer probably one down, along with Holmes.

But you're bang on the money, unfortunately, NRL talent is a zero-sum game, at least in the current market, meaning that both players chasing positional money as you mentioned and, teams pilfering quality talent from other clubs means that not everyone can have top-shelf centres. You either over pay and risk your cap getting out of whack, or, with the Tigers, your buying options are reduced due to lack of quality player interest, so you're forced to develop centres from within and hope, as well as being shoehorned into spending your cap in other areas of need (even if centre is a dire concern).

Whilst this is not unique to centre as a position, its an interesting case study given the deficiencies in our squad at the moment.

Yeh, I agree.

Latrell would be top tier, if he played centre.

Crichton and Hammer probably one down, along with Holmes.

But you're bang on the money, unfortunately, NRL talent is a zero-sum game, at least in the current market, meaning that both players chasing positional money as you mentioned and, teams pilfering quality talent from other clubs means that not everyone can have top-shelf centres. You either over pay and risk your cap getting out of whack, or, with the Tigers, your buying options are reduced due to lack of quality player interest, so you're forced to develop centres from within and hope, as well as being shoehorned into spending your cap in other areas of need (even if centre is a dire concern).

Whilst this is not unique to centre as a position, its an interesting case study given the deficiencies in our squad at the moment.
Which tier would you have Dane Gagai?

If we can jag him from the Knights by adding an extra year onto his contract so we have him for 2 years, he will provide invaluable experience & leadership to a young outside back group.

By then the likes of T'oa, Tupou, Feledy, Solo Saukuru, Nav Willett, Roy Quiroz-Mapasua, maybe Triston Reilly, maybe Lachlan Galvin (if he becomes a centre) will be our core.

Maybe we can offer Knights AJ Kepaoa as a centre/backrow utility?!

Looks like Jenkins from Penrith is heading to Newcastle.
Shame he could of been a useful get for us
Might make getting Dane Gagai from Newcaslte even more possible? Though he did buy in the area and when he left Newcaslte he always planned to return to finish off his career / football retirement there.

Latest posts

Back