Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

If we are serious about Luai, then the plan must be for Sezer to be the 6 this year.
Sullivan and Finau to fight for the 7 spot, then Laui goes into the 6 for 2025.
It's not the worst plan, but if our offer to Luai is something like 4 years at $1.3m then it could ruin the balance of our roster for that period.
It's a huge swing, that could either work massively or fail miserably. I think the chance it works is a lot less than the alternative....

If we are serious about Luai, then the plan must be for Sezer to be the 6 this year.
It's not the worst plan, but if our offer to Luai is something like 4 years at $1.3m then it could ruin the balance of our roster for that period.
It's a huge swing, that could either work massively or fail miserably. I think the chance it works is a lot less than the alternative....
I like the plan.

yeah i think so. it’s probably where Nassar would’ve ended up himself if I’m honest. Jahream has the spot for however long he wants it.
I think Nasser is close to Bula's height at 16, is quicker than him now and can play at 6 with his kicking game. What he has achieved a such a young age is one thing but also having All Black pedigree is another.

Its all done now it'll be a wait n see.

Thanks for all your info on this situation @ROZELLE.O.G .

What I'm confused about is what they weren't offered? Were they not invited to be part of the Balmain SG Ball summer squad with the 40-odd others in the squad, or were they not offered some sort of Wests Tigers Pathways contract which are not made public?

Surely they could have still stayed in the Balmain system, continued to excel & progress that way if they were that determined to stay.
Conti was offered a Development contract into an NRL top 30 deal at the Dogs. He wasn't interested in staying unless we matched or beat that which considering the other players in the club we did not

Thanks for all your info on this situation @ROZELLE.O.G .

What I'm confused about is what they weren't offered? Were they not invited to be part of the Balmain SG Ball summer squad with the 40-odd others in the squad, or were they not offered some sort of Wests Tigers Pathways contract which are not made public?

Surely they could have still stayed in the Balmain system, continued to excel & progress that way if they were that determined to stay.
They were both contracted to the Wests Tigers at the age of 15 both contracts were up for renewal. A lot of clubs were after Nasser he wanted to stay a Tiger, I am not sure about Conti but both of them have been best mates since they were 4 years so much they are next door neighbours in Concord. The mess occurred when Mcdonald got sacked he had already signed the Wests kids and was in the process of starting to do the Tigers kids but it got missed so both kids had no contracts. When other clubs started enquiring about them they had no contract at all. If they wanted to leave the Tigers both of them couldve signed elsewhere a year earlier from Nov 1. I know in Nassr's case he was in demand after scoring 5 tries in 3 games at 15 years of age.

You don't limit the number of good youngsters you have. You need competition, a strong squad in case of injuries too. Given Willett hasn't even trained with us yet we can't compare the two. Willett is 2 years older too so unlikely competing for a spot directly just yet.

Yes absolutely agree. Just adding in the name as it could have been a matter of demanding dev deal etc. Whole thing doesn't add up on info provided.

Unless the plan is for Luai to play 7. He played as the dominant half for Samoa at the WC last year to great effect and has done the same for Penrith when Cleary has been out

They were both contracted to the Wests Tigers at the age of 15 both contracts were up for renewal. A lot of clubs were after Nasser he wanted to stay a Tiger, I am not sure about Conti but both of them have been best mates since they were 4 years so much they are next door neighbours in Concord. The mess occurred when Mcdonald got sacked he had already signed the Wests kids and was in the process of starting to do the Tigers kids but it got missed so both kids had no contracts. When other clubs started enquiring about them they had no contract at all. If they wanted to leave the Tigers both of them couldve signed elsewhere a year earlier from Nov 1. I know in Nassr's case he was in demand after scoring 5 tries in 3 games at 15 years of age.

So not fulton benji war then?

When money is involved you have no mates.

Fulton didnt want them and Benji did when he found out they had deals pulled on both of them, it was too late and they had signed elsewhere. Benji was not happy he knows of both kids and has seen them play through the grades in junior footy
Benji recruitment history hasn't been great so far..

I think Sezer will play the genuine halfback role for at least the beginning of the year. he'll mentor the youngsters and begin to relinquish control as the year goes on, likely to Sullivan, who would likely partner Luai at the scrumbase in 2025 with Latu off the bench.

$1.3 million in this day and age isn't a bad thing. it won't bend our cap out of shape either, given that all four spine members are on modest coin. I'm not saying that's what Jarome will be paid, it could be more or less, but that number in my eyes is good business and a fair price for where we're at.

Unless the plan is for Luai to play 7. He played as the dominant half for Samoa at the WC last year to great effect and has done the same for Penrith when Cleary has been out
If Luai comes I definitely see him wearing the 7 jersey. In the end it's just a number but as the big money player the 7 is typically seen as the leader of the halves. I don't think we'd have a dominant 5/8 and then try move a youngster to halfback, Luai would make the transition like Nico Hynes did.

Staff online

Back