Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

From Daily Telegraph:

Manly have offered rising star Haumole Olakau’atu the equal-longest deal in the club’s history – worth almost $7 million - in a bid to keep the back-rower away from rival clubs.

Reactions: 851
Could be fake news but the report says we paid Sheens $1M to part ways.

How is that possible if it was initiated by Sheens?

Some shrewd negotiating by the club as usual.

"Alot cheaper than $1m"? Don't know if I believe that.
Halves are a premium, and SOO halves are even worse. Not saying that he's all that and a bag of chips but the kid can play, and if the Dragons want him they will need to front up the cash just like us.
Prior to us signing any of our halves, I said we should be in the race for him.
I think the Cows will do whatever they can to keep him but as @tigerballs said their cap is a problem. I can see him moving, and it won't be for much less than $1m a year...
Probably got more chance of luring the Chad to rejoin his supercoach and mentor his son than to take Dearden out of North Queensland.

From Daily Telegraph:

Manly have offered rising star Haumole Olakau’atu the equal-longest deal in the club’s history – worth almost $7 million - in a bid to keep the back-rower away from rival clubs.
I don't know how they can afford it

Jake Turbo: $900k
Tommy Turbo: $1.1M
DCE: $1.2M (according to Zero Tackle)
Brooks: $650k
Schuster: ~$500 - 600k
Koula extended to 2027 ..

and now Olakauatu on a big deal?

We lack some serious experience and speed in our backline. Fox would add a lot to our squad as a former Australian and NSW representative. Defensively he’s solid and still has some pace at 28 no one in that bulldogs side looked good last year so won’t put too much into it.

I’d circle both Olam and Addo-Carr with the goal to reunite them here as I’m pretty sure they played the same side at Melbourne.

1. Jahreem Bula
2. David Nofoaluma/ Charlie Staines
3. Junior Tupou/ Starford To’a
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr

With our pack and new halves pairing with Api guiding them around we could make some serious noise.
Let’s do Nofa for Olam trade.
And Blore for Fox trade!

See a lot of team mates always showing support to him on IG.

See him spending a lot of time with team mates.

I could be wrong, everyone might hate him.... but it's definitely not the impression I get.
Ohhhh Instagram. I guess no one uses that to create an alternate perception of their lives. I guess if his mates like him, everyone must.

Dogs forum, NRL 360 and multiple news articles describe it differently, particularly with his recent behaviour. Koori fight, national anthem and Pro-Palestine posts particularly.

The fun joker activist thing is starting to wear thin with some.

Not saying he's not a good player, but he's a love/hate personality. I don't think that's a controversial thing to say.

hard part about Blore for Addo-Carr is the fact that the Dogs don't actually need backrowers, which is where Blore wants to play. if he was a middle, then yeah, it makes sense. but he isn't. he also has incredible upside and I'd be disappointed to see him anywhere else.

this is where the retention of Seyfarth and Twal becomes a little irritating, because either of them could've been offered up for JAC and snapped up pretty quickly by the Dogs. Blore's ceiling is pretty high and that will get Gus to the table, but I'm interested to see how it plays out.

if I'm WT I'm pulling the trigger on it to be honest. we need speed and class in the outside backs and Fox brings both of those in spades. Blore may well come back to hurt us, sure, but the imbalance of our squad needs to be fixed.
We've seen time and again; there doesn't need to be a direct swap for a deal to take place.

Could be fake news but the report says we paid Sheens $1M to part ways.

How is that possible if it was initiated by Sheens?

Some shrewd negotiating by the club as usual.
There's not a chance in hell that we would have given him anywhere near that much. As a last minute, short term coach that hadn't coached in a decade he would have been the lowest, or almost the lowest paid coach in the league. We wouldn't have doubled his salary just because we were paying him out. Same with mcdonnell, he would have been on relative peanuts, so paying him out wouldn't have cost much either.

hard part about Blore for Addo-Carr is the fact that the Dogs don't actually need backrowers, which is where Blore wants to play. if he was a middle, then yeah, it makes sense. but he isn't. he also has incredible upside and I'd be disappointed to see him anywhere else.

this is where the retention of Seyfarth and Twal becomes a little irritating, because either of them could've been offered up for JAC and snapped up pretty quickly by the Dogs. Blore's ceiling is pretty high and that will get Gus to the table, but I'm interested to see how it plays out.

if I'm WT I'm pulling the trigger on it to be honest. we need speed and class in the outside backs and Fox brings both of those in spades. Blore may well come back to hurt us, sure, but the imbalance of our squad needs to be fixed.
But Blore is a prop. That's where he played for us in the NRL and NSW cup this season. He can think what he wants, but he's just a solid forward with minimal skill.

The Manly Sea Eagles have offered rising star Haumole Olakau’atu the equal-longest deal in the club’s history, worth almost $7 million in a bid to keep the back-rower away from rival clubs.

It is understood the Sea Eagles have upped their deal to re-sign Olakau’atu by tabling a bumper eight year offer worth about $850,000 a season.

The contract length matches the club’s longest ever deal which was given to skipper Daly Cherry-Evans. Cherry-Evans just completed the final year of that mega contract before re-signing with the club for another two years.

Olakau’atu is still not off-contract until the end of 2025, but the Sea Eagles know that other clubs are preparing to entice the Tongan international on deals worth more than $900,000 a season.

The new contract will take Olakau’atu through until the end of the 2031 season where he will be 33. Should he sign he will become the only Sea Eagles player contracted beyond 2027 when the current deals of Josh Schuster, Luke Brooks and Tolutau Koula expire. (DT)

Does anyone know what the go is with Billy Smith?

The Roosters backline for 2024 is looking like:

Dominic Young, Joseph Suaalii, Joseph Manu and Daniel Tupou .. maybe they've told him to play NSW Cup for a year? If he stays injury free, much like Connor Tracey, he would be an improvement on our centres, and in my opinion, an improvement on the centres we've been linked to
Roosters love Billy Smith and have supported him through the tough times so I doubt he ever leaves them, plus Suaalii is on the way out the door apparently but who can be sure with him

Schuster is on 800k. Re-signed for 2.4mil over 3 years
I think you will find DCE and Tommy T likely have 2 years each left so that is a big chunk of money off their books.

Schusters deal is the eye sore at $800k.

I don't think he will see that out either.

He will end up playing for the dragons, or titans and waste his whole potential.

Owen Craigie the second.

Back