Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Just on the Welsby rumour. He has been very underwhelming in his games against Tonga and the latter part of the season for Saints. Not sure if he is injured but I barely noticed him In either game against Tonga. I am not saying he is rubbish but I wouldn’t be breaking the bank to get him and I definitely wouldn’t be putting him in front of Bula
I agree. Very risky offering high value contracts to players that look good in ESL - particularly backs.

The problem the club (Lee/Pascoe) has created is the supposed brotherhood between Fulton & Tartak. If the relationship between Fulton & Benji becomes untenable (and who knows they may be best mates now), then Tartak may try to entice his clients away from the club.
Tartak was good to us in the past when we didnt have Fulton and he was working against us, giving us Moses Suli, ok sure we had to pay an eye watering record amount for an unproven teenager, but we learned a lesson from that. Didn't we?

Kepaoa is a depth player who unfortunately gets picked from time to time through injury,..

I still think there is a chance that they move him on shortly to open up a roster spot..

The problem with Olam is that the Storm think he has jumped the shark and want to move on from him … and he is signed to big money for another 3 years
Kepaoa was considered a top17 player by our genius coaching staff. He wasn't a depth player. He should have been a depth player.

I'm going over the same point again and again. Fulton was bought because the club could not recruit or hold on to players. I think the club should let him do his job.
Fulton reports to Benji.

It's that simple.

He scouts footy comps of all ages and locations to find players he thinks are worth bringing to the club. The head coach and probably the GM of football then decide which players are ultimately worth signing and fit in with the style of play they want.

There would be a shared vision for the types of players we want, and Fulton's job is to find them, bring them to the club's attention, and if we decide to proceed to then secure them at the club.

Have heard from many scots boys Ashton is the one to look out for not Onitoni. Ashton is also on tigers contract but be wary we have put ourselves in a bit of a backlog of halves. One of the Large's will go to union I believe.

I've watched and Coached against both since U10s. There is no way Ashton is ahead of Onitoni. Onitoni is streets ahead of any player in his age group.

Fulton reports to Benji.

It's that simple.

He scouts footy comps of all ages and locations to find players he thinks are worth bringing to the club. The head coach and probably the GM of football then decide which players are ultimately worth signing and fit in with the style of play they want.

There would be a shared vision for the types of players we want, and Fulton's job is to find them, bring them to the club's attention, and if we decide to proceed to then secure them at the club.

Sure, but in reality it's not working as smoothly as that is it.

It's a result of ceo and board making decisions on the go.

Just on the Welsby rumour. He has been very underwhelming in his games against Tonga and the latter part of the season for Saints. Not sure if he is injured but I barely noticed him In either game against Tonga. I am not saying he is rubbish but I wouldn’t be breaking the bank to get him and I definitely wouldn’t be putting him in front of Bula
Both of those tests were played on rain soaked grounds and played in the rain. There was very little creative play from either side. Both tests were more of a slug fest between the 2 packs. it was very hard for the backs on either side to standout.

Both of those tests were played on rain soaked grounds and played in the rain. There was very little creative play from either side. Both tests were more of a slug fest between the 2 packs. it was very hard for the backs on either side to standout.
Welsby carried St. Helens this year. They were a shadow of their past teams and Welsby was the only thing that kept them competitive.
He's quality.

So the only two notable resignings I have seen on the final day before open negotiations is Croker at Manly and McLean at the Cowboys.

As such I figure all other speculated signings are on the open market from midnight tonight including Jerome, Bradman Best etc....

Let the games begin.....
Souths re-signed Jai Arrow too I think

I agree on the conditions but his lack of involvement shocked me a bit. I think Hopoate outplayed him in a beaten team and lets face it Hoppa shouldn’t be playing fullback at his age and pace. When Koula went to fullback he looked very likely and got involved . I didn’t see Welsby doing any “dirty” runs whilst every other back did. In those conditions you need to roll the sleeves up. He didn’t do that. Tonga have performed extremely poorly and he wouldn’t have rated in the top 10 backs in either game. I think he is a good player but the games I have seen him play him he isn’t the guy I am paying a huge transfer fee for. I believe Bula has much more upside to him.

I've watched and Coached against both since U10s. There is no way Ashton is ahead of Onitoni. Onitoni is streets ahead of any player in his age group.
That’s pretty cool watching Onitoni develop, he does look special. I just have a terrible feeling in my gut we’re gonna lose him to another club or the Waratahs. I’m sure there’s plenty of clubs in both codes keeping a very close eye on him. I also heard his brother Ashton can get a little lazy. That’s from a dad who’s son was a shadow for the CIS schoolboy team this year.

Without Fulton, we wouldn't have signed the Fainu brothers or Sullivan, plus about 10 kids in SG Ball & Harold Matts. Yes all speculative but the Fainu brothers have the ability to be national reps if guided correctly.

Without Fulton, we wouldn't have signed the Fainu brothers or Sullivan, plus about 10 kids in SG Ball & Harold Matts. Yes all speculative but the Fainu brothers have the ability to be national reps if guided correctly.
Mate, I agree on the Fainu boys. Fulton's close personal relationship with the family was crucial to getting their signatures. I'm unaware of Fulton being key to Sullivan signing, and as you say, all speculative. Seems a lot of those juniors are from Manly? I hope Fulton kills it for us, but far too early to call it, particularly as most of "his" signings seem to be via his Manly link.
Let's see how we go in the open market.

How would Welsby go at centre? Maybe a roaming centre like Turbo does at origin. I guess it's a question of whether he would want to come play center at the worst team in the NRL...

Latest posts

Staff online

Back