Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I wouldn't believe that for a second. Buzz, wtf would he know.

If we did sign that deal it's up there with the worst in WT history! Very hard to believe we would sign a reserve grader on that much, for that long too. Would be extremely incompetent, even for us!

His realistic current value is about 300k. The WT tax may mean we had to pay more.

It was initially being reported as a 2 year deal, with an option of a third. Then somehow got announced as 4 years. I reckon at least one if not 2 of the years are options.
There are zero halfbacks who would sign for $300k to play first grade.

I would estimate Sullivan 450k
Sezer 350k
Fainu 250k
Galvin 125k

Currently
This is a strange post from you. For someone with his hand on the pulse of junior talent at our club I would have thought you would understand that no-one wants to come to the club that is coming last. Especially some of the best young halves in the game.

There is no way we sign anyone on the money you have listed. I recall the Fainu's deals being closer to $500K each, and if Galvin is only on $125K then we can wave him goodbye very quickly.

Gus always says the money comes second, especially for the kids. However he also upgrades players salaries when they make grade regularly in order to show loyalty and make them feel wanted. I am pleased with the quality we have secured and I think the money is overs, but fair given the potential of these kids and the mess the club is in after two wooden spoons, a new untried coach and ongoing negative press.

I think the complete opposite. If it comes down to us and them. he’d have to be made of stone to turn down the money we’re prepared to pay him. Penrith are going to sound confident. What else can they say?
in response too "We have been used again to inflate a marquee players contract elsewhere haha."

hey at least we got something. If such behaviour means Luai gets 1.1m out of Penrith, then they will hurt a little bit.

What annoys me is when a player stays with a club for total unders, even when there are better offers. I.e. Mitchell Latrell at Souths (along with a recent Canberrian).

Reactions: 851
I would estimate Sullivan 450k
Sezer 350k
Fainu 250k
Galvin 125k

Currently
Latu on $250k? Pretty sure half the reason manly were willing to let him go is because he would’ve been on over $300k 2024. I don’t think he’d be at tigers on a pay cut, was reported the bro’s signed 4 years each and their contracts combine for $4 million

Latu on $250k? Pretty sure half the reason manly were willing to let him go is because he would’ve been on over $300k 2024. I don’t think he’d be at tigers on a pay cut, was reported the bro’s signed 4 years each and their contracts combine for $4 million
And those reports are bullshit

Because that's what he was on at Manly, and that's what we took on.... His value increases year on year
What's your source? Widely reported at $500k per season. Not doubting it could be wrong, but you need to put up some sources.

This is a strange post from you. For someone with his hand on the pulse of junior talent at our club I would have thought you would understand that no-one wants to come to the club that is coming last. Especially some of the best young halves in the game.

There is no way we sign anyone on the money you have listed. I recall the Fainu's deals being closer to $500K each, and if Galvin is only on $125K then we can wave him goodbye very quickly.

Gus always says the money comes second, especially for the kids. However he also upgrades players salaries when they make grade regularly in order to show loyalty and make them feel wanted. I am pleased with the quality we have secured and I think the money is overs, but fair given the potential of these kids and the mess the club is in after two wooden spoons, a new untried coach and ongoing negative press.
I don't think you understand how few 18 year olds are actually on NRL contracts. Practically no clubs have players that young in NRL contracts, as they're not ready to contribute in the NRL yet. The WT tax that we had to pay to Secure our youngsters was giving them professional contracts before they're ready for them.
These kids aren't demanding big bucks immediately. They're already earning more than any other player their age. Players yet to play first grade extremely rarely get the big bucks straight away. Suli had the physique for us to take that gamble.

Fainu is on 500k in the latter years of his contract, not from the beginning. That was the price for the highest rated 18 year old. Galvin signed his deal as a 17 year old highschool kid, he'll be on close to minimum wage next season. They all get incremental increases, and as we saw with Bula the club had no problem rewarding exponential improvement with a vastly improved contract. Bula signed 3 contracts in 12 months such was his rise. But we certainly haven't paid Galvin a million bucks for his 3 years, not did we spend 4 million on the Fainus, it's just ludicrous stuff from media trying to make us look like a basketcase.

What's your source? Widely reported at $500k per season. Not doubting it could be wrong, but you need to put up some sources.
Not widely reported. Hooper plucked that number out of his ass, and a few other websites just copy pasted what he said, that's how sad journalism has become these days

There are no publicly documented sources of player salaries like there is in the NBA etc. Only the word of people who claim to have received details. I trust the person I spoke to more than I trust pooper, that's for sure. But the nature and identity of sources will always remain private

Not widely reported. Hooper plucked that number out of his ass, and a few other websites just copy pasted what he said, that's how sad journalism has become these days

There are no publicly documented sources of player salaries like there is in the NBA etc. Only the word of people who claim to have received details. I trust the person I spoke to more than I trust pooper, that's for sure. But the nature and identity of sources will always remain private
Well it was widely reported. More widely reported than what you've put up here. I guess we just take you at your word. On a side note, I don't remember you being this grumpy in the past...why the agro?

You get. 'widely reported'... Even with say Luai right now, we will never know the full extent of the contract worth regardless of where he eventually signs and figures being mentioned daily for weeks... There will always be extras were never privy to.
It always seems like 'trying too hard' when contract dollars are posted

I think the complete opposite. If it comes down to us and them. he’d have to be made of stone to turn down the money we’re prepared to pay him. Penrith are going to sound confident. What else can they say?
Depends how bad he wants to be a halfback, or how bad he wants to run his own team.

Not just that....
He has absolutely no future at Penrith.

Jett Cleary can't be that far off and I'd bet anything they're looking to bring him through to play with
Nathan and carry the Cleary mantle out there for years to come....
They may convince Luai to sign for another 2-3 more years to tie them over
- But beyond that.... There'll be nothing there for him.
Personally think it's just Penriths right of reply within the 10 day cooling off period. Reckon he's agreed to terms verbally with the Tigers and Penrith are just trying to see if they can come up with something to keep him. No inside info just purely speculation on my part.

I had a dream last night we released Klemmer and Doueihi to Parra, so take that FWIW. You might think they are too dumb to sign Doueihi, but they are the club that signed Josh Hodgson on one leg at the same time Api was available. So anything is possible with them.

Back