Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Benji will decide if and when he’s ready, he’s better placed than any of us to make that decision.
The fact is Benji rates this kid highly and he won’t be concerned about playing him at NRL level just because he’s more slightly built than others.
Based on that theory Sam Walker and Jayden Campbell should not have played any NRL by now, they both go ok.
Not great examples walkers had heaps of injuries of late almost been out for a year. Not to mention he looks burnt out already. Benji would be best placed?? Hardly been a coaches assistant to make calls I would trust as yet. I hope, but not convinced!

Sure you still see the block play, the inside pass, the ‘x’ etc. but teams aren’t working three plays to set up for them like the old days. It’s much less rehearsed and happens naturally. A good ball player waits until the numbers dictate taking a shot.

Souths left side attack is probably the most rehearsed in the game but even that is just a shift at break neck speed.

I never meant that set plays are completely gone from the game but teams are less premeditated than years gone by.
I remember a Warriors try vs the Dragons where they made a long break break and had the whole Dragons side back pedaling.
The breakaway player got pulled down about 20 out on the left hand side of the field.
Instead of shifting it quickly off the quick play the ball. Egan went left to his centre and dragged the Dragons defenders further across in D.
The next play they once again didn’t spread it for the corner, they had decoy forward runs, out the back to Johnson from a pass from AFB (Block) and further again to a sliding CNK who eventually put DWZ over in the corner.
The amount of times we have failed to score from a similar break like that because everyone was keen to just spread the ball without a plan.
Think our 2021 game vs the Warriors on the Central Coast where we messed up the final play of the match trying to get a try in the corner.
Set plays are everything in the game.
In fact block plays are; whether you like it or not. Every team does it; just some do it better than others.
Webster pretty much took the Panthers right side attack with him to the Warriors and was able to execute it using players with similar trademarks to the Panthers right side players.
Hopefully we don’t see the Tim Sheens run around be applied by the forward pack again this year. That went no where fast.

He'll partner Fainu in cup with Tallyn at hooker,
I think we'll start the season conservative with
maybe Lobb 2 start in nofa's place. Bench will
be hard 2 pick. Trials are just around the corner
someone is bound 2 put their hand up in a month
Agree... If these 3 are our future, let them build combinations and learn to WIN in the lower grades with the occasional cameo to keep the dream alive. Where we sit on the ladder in the later rounds will determine how quickly / desperate we are to introduce them. There kids, let them be kids.

I actually agree with @Vicious point, however you aren't telling any lies as well. Bula is a supreme talent BUT he's not a superstar YET. Could he be one day?..... Absolutely.

I feel as a club we can sometimes put too much pressure on a kid who has shown promise within a short period of time. I have this same worry about Latu Fainu too even I’m guilty of it.

I think we're looking for our next Benji constantly. Who’s gonna be the next wonder kid to come through and turn our success around. It was meant to be Tedesco then he eventually left due to bad management. I think we're starting to heap that onto both Bula/Fainu. I saw TDS play a handful of games and due to the high expectations seems like he overplayed his hand on occasions and it didn't look natural.

Personally, what I admire most about Bula's game is his maturity it’s impressive for someone who’s played limited games, it isn't his ability but more his comfortably he's just a natural footballer. His instincts are insane both attacking/defensively, his reading of the game is exceptional and his athleticism is top tier. He also takes a lot of tough carries and runs for 200 meters a game often. He’s more a Dylan Edwards mould than a Reece Walsh. Whenever the skills/ability start to click more often and he gets even more experience then we can have the conversation of calling him a star. At this moment of time he’s just a very talented footballer.

Overall, my point is we should lower our expectations on our youngsters and allow them to develop naturally without any added stress or expectations which can hinder them. Luai coming in will help with that as we now have 2 proven superstars in our spine with Api as well and won’t need to rely on rookies like we have the last decade.

It’s a refreshing change which we should enjoy.
Bula is an intelligent and mature player as you can tell from these highlights, especially the way he places the ball over the try line when tackled short of the line.

For anyone who has watched the highlights, Bula gets on the outside of Best to score. One of the commentators makes mention of his defensive technique. I have seen this regularly where Best is beaten on the outside and for an SOO centre it is not good enough. We have a one game rookie hammered for his defence in the centres but Best's defence has to an extent gone unnoticed.

Agree with this, and think Galvin is 2 years away.

I unluckily saw both Loz in 87 and Freddy in 89 debut I believe against my team at a boggy Campbelltown both scoring 2 tries each from memory Loz from a chip over the top as well at 17. Hanley didn't play in 89 that game I believe.

Similar age to me at the time they both seemed instantly a stand out.

Main thing that stood out to me was the speed of their step in comparison to Galvin.

ET was another one at 17 while at De La Salle Caringbah. Same trait, at least his swerve.

Lamb for my club at 18 in 1980 slotted straight in like he was always there on a Wednesday night game at Leichhardt. Was aggressive from dot had the physicality.

Hoping Fainu is at this stage this year.
The way the game has changed since those days, even from 10 years ago, means very careful consideration should be given to throwing teenagers in. Players are fitter and stronger now from 1-13. Its faster and there is more wrestling which both factor into more joint and muscle injuries. Plus the covid factor of some of these juniors missing quite a big chunk of the formative years. Bulldogs kid is a good example, who now has some sort of neck injury. Even Fainu sounds like he is carrying some kind of injury at the moment.

Funny you should mention that.

Heard Ben Hunt on the radio yesterday talking up Kyle Flannigan as his halves partner for the 2024 season.
Calling the Flanagan’s the Wish version of the Cleary’s is too high a praise. They are more akin to the wish version of the Arthur’s. You’d be absolutely shitting bricks if you were a Saints fan going into this season. The closer it gets, I think even us, their biggest challenger for the spoon, will leave them in the dust.

Calling the Flanagan’s the Wish version of the Cleary’s is too high a praise. They are more akin to the wish version of the Arthur’s. You’d be absolutely shitting bricks if you were a Saints fan going into this season. The closer it gets, I think even us, their biggest challenger for the spoon, will leave them in the dust.
As Mitch Moses would say 100%!…..clearly any media that is predicting the Tigers to finish last has NFI….our roster is significantly stronger than the Dragons

As Mitch Moses would say 100%!…..clearly any media that is predicting the Tigers to finish last has NFI….our roster is significantly stronger than the Dragons
You could argue that a lot recently, yet they somehow get us.
You have to beat your peers and they are certainly in our bucket at the arse end of the draw.

thank you. Laulili'i is a freak, just a different body shape to the other two. built low to the ground and extremely quick and strong for his size. think a smaller Brian To'o but quicker across the park with more skill with ball in hand. does need to work on his defence though.

just imagine. 2026/27 we have a backline of Bula, Craig, Makasini, Large and Laulili'i, with Fainu/Galvin and Luai in the halves. I'm not sure it'll happen given we might lose a couple to rival clubs or codes, but if we manage to hold onto them, holy hell.
Won't their futures be dependent on how they are coached ?

Won't their futures be dependent on how they are coached ?
depends on who you ask.

for me personally, talented kids need to be man managed more than anything once they hit first grade. if the system is good enough and the culture is strong, they would have been taught the necessary skills and developed properly to fit seamlessly into the first grade structures.

Penrith is the key example. the kids that come into grade don't look out of place because they've been taught the structures from age 15 upwards and the players drive the standards.

some things they will learn from elite first grade coaching and training, playing and from their teammates, but ultimately they possess the talent to have been identified and pushed through. look at Wayne Bennett, his structures are simple and straightforward but his team's performances are built on effort and desire.

some need more coaching/managing than others, but the super talents (in this instance Large, Makasini, L. Laulili'i, L. Fainu, Galvin) typically just need time in a first grade setting, man managing and conditioning as the talent is already there.

Funny you should mention that.

Heard Ben Hunt on the radio yesterday talking up Kyle Flannigan as his halves partner for the 2024 season.
If Sloan can demonstrate commitment to his defence, he could be a solution to the Dragon's 6 vacancy.

If Sloan can demonstrate commitment to his defence, he could be a solution to the Dragon's 6 vacancy.

Possible.... But he's not the coaches son,
An arrogant coach at that, who'd be looking to prove 'all those other' coaches wrong...

Possible.... But he's not the coaches son,
An arrogant coach at that, who'd be looking to prove 'all those other' coaches wrong...
But, but, but, people on here wanted him as our coach.

I mean he was the hard nosed coach that would lift us from the bottom of the budgie cage and have us soaring with *eagles, he was the man that would attract quality players to our roster and turn everything around.

Anyway 2024 and 2025 looks like being a big shootout between our Benji and their Flanno to see who can have the most success, that is assuming they both survive that long.

Note:

*not in any way is this a reference to Manly Sea Eagles.

But, but, but, people on here wanted him as our coach.

I mean he was the hard nosed coach that would lift us from the bottom of the budgie cage and have us soaring with *eagles, he was the man that would attract quality players to our roster and turn everything around.

Anyway 2024 and 2025 looks like being a big shootout between our Benji and their Flanno to see who can have the most success, that is assuming they both survive that long.

Note:

*not in any way is this a reference to Manly Sea Eagles.
I’ve always thought of him as an overrated drug cheat myself. The Storm/Bellamy cheated, but they have won three comps since. It took a whole cocktail of peptides to turn the porch light off.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back