Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

All those moves were being made while also entertaining the thought of Addin Fonua Blake at 800k. However, we decided then to focus on our junior forwards instead. most clubs operate on a % of cap space spent per position. i.e., 30% on your spine, 40% on forwards, 30% on backs.

So on that logic id guess that AFB would of tipped the scale in the direction of too many high paid forwards, so the club backed off in case anything else of value popped up in the backs. (Us constantly being linked with different quality outside backs also shows to me that we are indeed looking to invest in at least 1 more quality outside back). Richardson is also frequently talking about moving more players on this year and he wouldn't do that if he didn't have ideas of who he wanted in to replace them.
We are as is, outrun and outpowered against too many teams. An injury to Utoikemanu or Pole reveals our depth in forwards (Twal and Seyfarth cannot be mentioned in the same sentence, IMHO :cry: ). We need three aggressive forwards and could offer those two, Simpkin and Staines, in a trade.
This must be our first target!

Turuva is a quality player, but I’m not sure if I see 500k of value in him ?

Agree. 400k would say could grab him. If we did offer him 400k it’s a big difference over 3-5yrs he gets an extra 150-250k more during the lifecycle of his contract - basically gets half a season advance pay.

turuva is a vast improvement on Staines and tupou
if we can get him for 420 - 450k it would be a good deal
Our wingers are poor. Our replacement options in the Top 30 are also poor.

And people laughed at Hymel Hunt...

That said- I know Makasini coming through Harold Matts is a centre, but his more immediate path might be on the wing. It was reported the other day that the Tigers are looking at him debuting within 18 months- so next year some time.

The real strength of this club will be the emergence of the quality young players. Filling those gaps with players from other clubs might slow the development, or worse- give players a reason to look elsewhere for their opportunity.

That said- I know Makasini coming through Harold Matts is a centre, but his more immediate path might be on the wing. It was reported the other day that the Tigers are looking at him debuting within 18 months- so next year some time.

The real strength of this club will be the emergence of the quality young players. Filling those gaps with players from other clubs might slow the development, or worse- give players a reason to look elsewhere for their opportunity.
I don’t want to burst ur bubble but have u been watching the lower grade teams results they are very poor , now out of all these super juniors that every one thinks we have u might get 2-5 who make it , have a look at our great kids in the forwards they are not anywhere near 1st grade , when the panthers started there program they worked on 1 in a hundred would make 1st grade

I don’t want to burst ur bubble but have u been watching the lower grade teams results they are very poor , now out of all these super juniors that every one thinks we have u might get 2-5 who make it , have a look at our great kids in the forwards they are not anywhere near 1st grade , when the panthers started there program they worked on 1 in a hundred would make 1st grade
Check out how poor the Wests Harold Matts team, featuring the 2 guys I mentioned, have been...

OKay I am immature.

I can't take some Rugby league names seriously.
Hymel Hunt!
Man that guy is probably lectured by his manager daily to treat women right.

Herbie Farnworth... Does he split in two to run across the field? will his headlights and wipers go off by themselves.

Both great players. Just I ... I can't get past the names. I literally snicker out loud every time I hear them.

Staines is a weak link in our side. Not due to a lack of effort, he constantly goes looking for work but gets dominated each time due to his size. His speed hasn't been a benefit for us at all either. Turuva would be a massive upgrade on Staines.
If only teams had 2 wingers, we could run with them both!

Check out how poor the Wests Harold Matts team, featuring the 2 guys I mentioned, have been...
In the H Matts. side the new crop of forwards paving they way for the back line to have time and space [and they also defend well] are of a taller, athletic, bigger than the previous crop of solid nuggets.
With height and attitude they will fill out with strength and muscle and should be nurtured.
eg. Christian Taupau-Moors, Maddex Fiu, Peter French, Siotame Havea Jr. and Henare Reti.

turuva is a vast improvement on Staines and tupou
if we can get him for 420 - 450k it would be a good deal
Yes an improvement…. But not looking to slightly improve. Which is all he will do. Need a beast!!! We want to scare the opposite winger… just think of who are the top 5 wingers in today’s game, ie last few years!

Staines is a weak link in our side. Not due to a lack of effort, he constantly goes looking for work but gets dominated each time due to his size. His speed hasn't been a benefit for us at all either. Turuva would be a massive upgrade on Staines.
Improvement? Don’t understand how…see them both as being very similar in all attributes. Both have speed, both midgets and get dominated!

Taruva is not going to leave Riff for an extra 50g, his manager would be looking at 100g over the Riff offer. Be a good buy especially with Tapou heading north, but I think a quality middle forward and another edge forward should be our priority

Taruva is not going to leave Riff for an extra 50g, his manager would be looking at 100g over the Riff offer. Be a good buy especially with Tapou heading north, but I think a quality middle forward and another edge forward should be our priority
We need a no frills centre who has played 50 first grade games just as a backup who can tackle to fill in a few games a year like. Momo

I think turuva would run into the same problems that Staines is having in our squad, we don't really use our wingers in attack which means pure finishers like them don't really suit our team.

What we need is wingers that are great at getting metres.

Back