Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Luai is not a kicker. Not a sharp shooter. What his role is will be experience. Who will do our kicking in 2025? Who will direct us around the park? Sezer is a good start. We have some sort of navigation.
You are right.

Luai isn't known to be a kicker, I think I have seen a grubber or something from him in the past.

I watched the early Penrith games and I remember thinking that Cleary had SO much space to kick and seemed to be just doing the kicking while Luai was marshalling the team.

Luai hasn't really been involved in anything halfbackie for awhile. Earlier he was organising the Penrith line and seemed to be doing a lot more positional work.

No reason the halfback has to kick, Pat Richards, Hazem El Mazri, Craig Fitzgibbon etc come to mind.

We do need someone who will organise and marshall the team in attack and defense. That's what I worry about with Luai.

My only issue with Latu in the centres is that Faataape is the obvious one to be relegated.

2 tough outings against quality players at the Sharks & Parramatta. And Canberra- but we try to forget that game. In all those games it can be argued he held his own, and improved in each outing.

Then against the Dolphins- 2 tries. His defence alongside Staines is REMARKABLY IMPROVED over To'a & Nofa. I think we got a low cost, quality player.

As much as I want Latu in the squad, I don't think it's at Faataape's expense.

Moving Galvin seems unfair on Galvin, but he's better suited to shifting position that Fainu.

I'd still be looking at Galvin playing in Bateman's spot & having Bateman play #13, moving Pole to the bench.

Galvin could be the new Liam Fulton....or better yet, Gavin Miller. He's probably everything Josh Schuster SHOULD be.
What all 85 kg's of Galvin??

Sure we can break him at lock.
Fainu is 90kg and Bateman is 95....

Galvin is NO WHERE NEAR ready for a regular forward/lock/second rower and I don't think we want him to be that just yet. Sure the guy is tough, Physically he is no where near ready for a regular spot at the front. He has claimed 5/8 and with his current form I am happy to leave him there or let other players try and outplay him.

We do need to give our new players solid spots that they can train in. It's one problem we have in recruiting 4 halves at once.

I like Galvin at 5/8 and would keep him there. Rarely have I seen an 18 year old so composed. His footy nous and maturity are outstanding.
As an 18 year old however is still growing physically and will fill out and put more weight on especially with weights programs etc. I have noted that he is not blessed with blinding speed and that may change his position in the future but that would 3 seasons plus.
I would leave him for the moment and hopefully continue his extraordinary progress.

What all 85 kg's of Galvin??

Sure we can break him at lock.
Fainu is 90kg and Bateman is 95....

Galvin is NO WHERE NEAR ready for a regular forward/lock/second rower and I don't think we want him to be that just yet. Sure the guy is tough, Physically he is no where near ready for a regular spot at the front. He has claimed 5/8 and with his current form I am happy to leave him there or let other players try and outplay him.

We do need to give our new players solid spots that they can train in. It's one problem we have in recruiting 4 halves at once.
Perhaps I should preface my comments with the words 'eventually', or 'in time'?

regardless of what we all think and believe and differ on … how good is it to have a gun junior again lol

Not since moses and teddy days!

Hopefully we just hold onto at least galvin.

I would be gutted if he left after 3 yrs.

He’s going to be better than teddy and moses IMHO lol. I know that’s a big statement but if he stays injury free I can’t see why not

leave Galvin at 6 please. there is absolutely no reason for him to be moved at this point, nor will there be for some time. hell, he may own the jumper until he retires.

Latu didn’t look out of place last night but he certainly didn’t make an impact in attack. he needs time in Cup and needs to be scoring and setting up tries at will before we even consider him for the 14, let alone at 6. he’s incredibly talented but very raw and clearly his body isn’t ready for high minutes week to week in any grade, let alone firsts.

Great post. I’ll concede. I think he has to be at 6.

I’m just worried about Luai at 7 - and Sezer is an experienced 7 guiding us really well.

I still reckon an opportunity exists for Sezer to play 13 next year.
Dude, you pasted me for saying Luai could fill 13 if we needed to fit Luai, Latu and Galvin into the same team and you come up with that?

regardless of what we all think and believe and differ on … how good is it to have a gun junior again lol

Not since moses and teddy days!

Hopefully we just hold onto at least galvin.

I would be gutted if he left after 3 yrs.

He’s going to be better than teddy and moses IMHO lol. I know that’s a big statement but if he stays injury free I can’t see why not
Galvin is number 1 priority.

That kid lives and breathes football. He doesn't go to parties apparently, comes from a good family, doesn't drink. We need to take care of him at this club. If Latu leaves, I'm prepared to cop that if it means Galvin is kept.

Last edited:
People are dreaming if they think Galvin will extend his contract now if we offer him more money. Moses his agent knows he is sitting on a gold mine. Okay he probably will push for an upgrade of his current deal, but Moses knows he will be worth mega bucks on the open market when the time comes. Okay Galvin may be happy to stay by then, but the market place will determine what wehave to pay, and that will be plenty. As a act of goodwill it would be worth upgrading his current contract now

Just keep Latu at 14 for a while … don’t care if he is there at that position into next season
People are dreaming if they think Galvin will extend his contract now if we offer him more money. Moses his agent knows he is sitting on a gold mine. Okay he probably will push for an upgrade of his current deal, but Moses knows he will be worth mega bucks on the open market when the time comes. Okay Galvin may be happy to stay by then, but the market place will determine what wehave to pay, and that will be plenty. As a act of goodwill it would be worth upgrading his current contract now

I think Galvin might give them an extra year in return for an upgrade .. that would see him through io the end of 2027 … he is still only like 22 as the end of the deal

Just keep Latu at 14 for a while … don’t care if he is there at that position into next season

I think Galvin might give them an extra year in return for an upgrade .. that would see him through io the end of 2027 … he is still only like 22 as the end of the deal
I'm thinking it may be even worth offering Galvin the captaincy, post Api.

The guys footy IQ is up there and he's still got a lot of development in him....

Looks like a future NSW & Aus rep player.

One to keep at all costs.

Can’t see it myself, I think knowing Moses he will want get the kid to the open market ASAP and that is when his current contract expires. Our big hope is in the meantime young Galvin develops a strong bond within the group and a strong bond with the club. Similar to what the Penrith kids developed.

Anyway I guess who knows what’s going to happen

Is he any good, is he a candidate for NRL in his lifetime?
He’s only 21 but I don’t really rate him, doubt he plays NRL.

Has trained with the NRL squad at times this season/pre-season though, so maybe they see something more.

Dude, you pasted me for saying Luai could fill 13 if we needed to fit Luai, Latu and Galvin into the same team and you come up with that?
Both are absolutely cooked. Neither could defend there and we have some good lock options in Seyfarth, Pole and even Doueihi perhaps

Looking at the players/positions we are currently lacking to make up a “complete” team -

Wing - we need at least 1 quality finisher, speed, size, aerial ability, strength. Two would be better.

Centre- we have a few options although none are really top notch, but we probably need some time to sort this position out within our current group. Olam, if remaining fit, obviously takes one spot.

Edge - need to bring in a big strong hard running mobile player of the level that the top teams have to complement our current pack. These guys are creating so many attacking opportunities in those teams. We are producing nothing in that area. Perhaps Sam F will develop here.

Lock- i can see us finding a solution here from within. There are a few possibilities and we need time for them to develop. In a year or two I reckon Latu will fill out even more and has the perfect skill set.

Front row- Pole, Twal, Uto, Klem. We need to bring in one more prop who is big, tough and angry. This guy would start instead of Klem.

IMO these are the glaring gaps that need filling for us to be a top 4 contender. It’s recruitment of 4-5 quality players. Not easy I realise, but we have to start somewhere. Identify one player and move on him, then as long as we keep developing as a team and showing the marketplace that we are a team building towards something big, then other quality players will see us as a viable club.

leave Galvin at 6 please. there is absolutely no reason for him to be moved at this point, nor will there be for some time. hell, he may own the jumper until he retires.

Latu didn’t look out of place last night but he certainly didn’t make an impact in attack. he needs time in Cup and needs to be scoring and setting up tries at will before we even consider him for the 14, let alone at 6. he’s incredibly talented but very raw and clearly his body isn’t ready for high minutes week to week in any grade, let alone firsts.
I agree on Galvin for now, and probably the next 18 months. He looks like he has never seen the gym before which is understandable for an 18 year old, how his body develops will determine his future. I still think 13 is his future, but a lot has to happen before that.

IMO Latu should never have played on the weekend. He wasn't considered capable of playing 80 minutes in NSW Cup and he injured himself the first time he had to sprint. He wasn't ready and it's probably best to ignore his debut.

Back