Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Kit Laulilii played Ron Massey Cup. Can’t really comment on why cause I don’t know. But I’ve never really rated Kit Laulilii much, he is actually deceivingly small, standing a 5”10 or 178cm. He stands at the same height as Soni Luke and Justin Olam just in a larger frame which is hard to see how he could be successful as a lock forward.

I hope he comes good but who knows. Like others I’m really worried about our backs, Lobb doesn’t fill me with too much confidence nor does Declan Casey, though I do see some potential in both, but we both now how “potential” at the Tigers usually goes.

I’ve seen a few comments questioning why we haven’t been seen trying to lure backs but isn’t that a good thing? We aren’t leaking anything to the media and I highly doubt we are just twiddling our thumbs doing nothing. But again I say who really knows cause 99% of stuff on this forum is rightly so, just speculation, just as my comments are.
I really don't like like how the club has treated Kit thus far, a bit like Matamua last season. These kids need consistent game time at the same level week upon week, then they can build.

He's a small forward, he needs to gradually hone his craft against the bigger bodies instead we've just thrown him into the deep end! Going from SG ball to NSW Cup as a tiny forward is a massive step up. He needs to learn how to use his body in attack and defence, and adjust to the increased speed and strength of his opponents.

IMO he should be our starting lock in Flegg for the next month or two. You're already playing against much bigger and fitter players than in SG Ball, let him adjust to that level first, then up to cup for some games off the bench etc. Playing Ron Massey is pointless other than getting minutes under his belt. If Ron Massey is a supplement for his game time thats ok, but 70 mins in flegg first and then another 40 against men in RM will see him test his abilities.

There is no way on earth he should have played Cup already. Having a threadbare squad is no excuse. Promote Tumeth ahead of him, he's been in the NRL squad a while now. We need to be patient with these players, like with Faagutu gradually building form in flegg and will step up later in the season to Cup. Miller is a big body so if he can adjust to the speed of Cup already and work on his stamina, fitness etc then that's great. If he needs a spell here and there to rip in against flegg players then give him that luxury, he's just a big kid afterall...

I really don't like like how the club has treated Kit thus far, a bit like Matamua last season. These kids need consistent game time at the same level week upon week, then they can build.

He's a small forward, he needs to gradually hone his craft against the bigger bodies instead we've just thrown him into the deep end! Going from SG ball to NSW Cup as a tiny forward is a massive step up. He needs to learn how to use his body in attack and defence, and adjust to the increased speed and strength of his opponents.

IMO he should be our starting lock in Flegg for the next month or two. You're already playing against much bigger and fitter players than in SG Ball, let him adjust to that level first, then up to cup for some games off the bench etc. Playing Ron Massey is pointless other than getting minutes under his belt. If Ron Massey is a supplement for his game time thats ok, but 70 mins in flegg first and then another 40 against men in RM will see him test his abilities.

There is no way on earth he should have played Cup already. Having a threadbare squad is no excuse. Promote Tumeth ahead of him, he's been in the NRL squad a while now. We need to be patient with these players, like with Faagutu gradually building form in flegg and will step up later in the season to Cup. Miller is a big body so if he can adjust to the speed of Cup already and work on his stamina, fitness etc then that's great. If he needs a spell here and there to rip in against flegg players then give him that luxury, he's just a big kid afterall...
You are right BB.
Not sure if there are different reasons as to why KL played Ron Massey Cup on the weekend or not, but we have handled our talented young players, particularly our forwards terribly over the past few years and nothing seems ti be changing for the better.
Our talented young players are constantly thrown in the deep end, then if they don’t perform up to expectation after a couple of games they demote them and whack their confidence and self belief in the meantime.
It’s either pick and stick or progress them slower from the get go.

Last edited:

I agree. Well said.

I also hope Tallyn now that he has returned from injury can build some consistent game time of about 55-60 mins per game. If he's stuck behind Simpkin in Cup, I'd either shift Simpkin to the halves instead of Valevatu. And Simpkin can slot in to hooker when TDS needs a rest. Tallyn needs to work a lot on his defence & more reps will help.

I ostracised a fellow forum member the other week. Cannot remember his name. Talking about the new Canterbury player that left Wests. Boy was he right. That player kicked ass yesterday in the pre game game. Whoever you were. I apologize. Great call... he looks the goods.... I hope that forum member reads this and acknowledges this... good call.....
Which player X?

Rumours that we're looking to trade Simpkin for him.
Simpkin for who? Probably not the worst outcome to use Simpkin as trade bait. He’s about the only player on the roster who we have no use for but could be handy for a club like the Dragons or even the Titans (Going home to Qld could appeal). It’s a shame because there were big expectations when we signed him, but he hasn’t lived up them. Apparently his family aren’t happy with how he’s positioned here, so there wouldn’t be any need for much arm twisting if a chance for him pops up somewhere else.

there's still some talent out on the open market that we can look into for outside backs, even if Turuva and Schiller are lured elsewhere.

Enari Tuala's really improved his game in the last 12 months. Mat Feagai at the Dragons is far too good to be playing reserve grade. Semi Valemei is a machine. Izaac Thompson is a bang for your buck option. Bailey Simonsson and Nick Cotric would be an upgrade on our current stocks.

I trust in Richo and Marshall's direction, I just hope we are having the right conversations.

there's still some talent out on the open market that we can look into for outs

Enari Tuala's really improved his game in the last 12 months. Mat Feagai at the Dragons is far too good to be playing reserve grade. Semi Valemei is a machine. Izaac Thompson is a bang for your buck option. Bailey Simonsson

Pass on all..

Although Feagai played 23 games last year and scored 4 tries .,,so he gets across the stripe as often as a Wests Tigers outside back …

Reactions: 851
Ken Maumalo is looking for a new club after not getting a chance at the Titans

Although personally I'd prefer Aaron Schoupp who seems to have dropped down the pecking order at Titans but has been in brilliant form for Ipswich Jets - avergaing 195m running in the centres and 3 tries and 23 tackle breaks in 6 games

Ken Maumalo is looking for a new club after not getting a chance at the Titans

Although personally I'd prefer Aaron Schoupp who seems to have dropped down the pecking order at Titans but has been in brilliant form for Ipswich Jets - avergaing 195m running in the centres and 3 tries and 23 tackle breaks in 6 games
Schoupp is very under rated and would be a good improvement for us at right centre.

Maybe because he's always looked good.
Fast, good hands, serious attacking threat.

Probably end up on the storm backline, killing it. Like Addo Carr.

Or not.
I was in Qld and watched him absolutely destroy the Dolphins early last season.
He was that dominant I had people sitting all around me wondering who he was, he had just signed with the Titans at that stage.

Reactions: 851
I was in Qld and watched him absolutely destroy the Dolphins early last season.
He was that dominant I had people sitting all around me wondering who he was, he had just signed with the Titans at that stage.
Fitz?

He has always been a great attacking player.
Defence is suspect, but things can always be worked on.

Back