Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Matamua just doesn’t look like a 1st grade player , miller is just a large lump , watched him on the weekend, didn’t impress .
Looking forward to see faagutu, he really impressed in state of origin last year
Mason has that I will be a 1st grade player writing all over him always on the ball has good pace and is a good defender, not sure what would be his best position
As for the rest it doesn’t look good
I have to say, my general impression of our squads throughout the various comps is a lack of size / power / strength compared to so many others. Do we deliberately go out of our way to select the smaller, less powerful players in a time where the big, good players simply run over / through good, little players?

I agree Matamua has tried hard this season and consistently one of our best in NSW Cup.
He’s shown he looks ready to step back up to NRL and not let us down, but I’m not seeing anything to say he could come back in and be a standout. His carries are good without being great and likewise his ball playing is good without being great.
I think our NRL team ideally needs a 13 with good leg speed to really get our opposition on the back foot when they run the ball, just not sure we have that player internally.
I think his job is pretty simple. the biggest worry has always been his ability to bend the line and hit hard in contact, but that is consistently improving. given our issues at 13 I think he's best placed to fix it right now.

Siotame Havea is the player we have internally that is the ideal candidate moving forward, the issue is that he's 16 and a long long way off. I'm talking another 5 years. the rumoured plan to pursue Tallis Duncan certainly makes sense to me.

We have 30 players under contract for next season if Uto, Sezer & Tumeth's options are exercised. Here is a little depth chart I have put together just on our top 30 contracted for next season.

View attachment 11862

So to recruit, re-sign or promote any more players mean we have to release some.
Think Tumuth would be a good case to release as not set the world on fire, the issue of Sullivan / Sezer for next year will have to be resolved with one of them gone, as well as the issue of Twal / Seyfarth somewhat competing against each other for same similar role, Matamua, Klemmer and Toa might be cut too if theyre making hard decisions (klemmer only if his stats are lessening as he ages).

I think his job is pretty simple. the biggest worry has always been his ability to bend the line and hit hard in contact, but that is consistently improving. given our issues at 13 I think he's best placed to fix it right now.

Siotame Havea is the player we have internally that is the ideal candidate moving forward, the issue is that he's 16 and a long long way off. I'm talking another 5 years. the rumoured plan to pursue Tallis Duncan certainly makes sense to me.
I know Matamua has been up and down but I still think there a real gem there. If our middle defence was better, I'd have no issue with him playing 60min in the middle for first grade. Teams just seem to be able to find too much space in and around the ruck and it kills us.
Our 13 just needs to get through soo much work on defence, which is why I think they have favoured Pole to date.
The team's that haven't been able to break us down in the middle is where we have had success. I honestly think we will put the dogs to the sword this week, our pack should dominate theirs

We have 30 players under contract for next season if Uto, Sezer & Tumeth's options are exercised. Here is a little depth chart I have put together just on our top 30 contracted for next season.

View attachment 11862

So to recruit, re-sign or promote any more players mean we have to release some.
You'd think the club would want to re-sign Sione Fainu to keep the other Fainu's happy and he did look good in the trials before his injury.

Reactions: 851
You'd think the club would want to re-sign Sione Fainu to keep the other Fainu's happy and he did look good in the trials before his injury.
It's looking more and more likely (due to current contracts) that the best offer he'll get from us is a Train & Trial deal. Then it'll be down to whether he gets offered a top 30 elsewhere which I currently can't see happening.

Think Tumuth would be a good case to release as not set the world on fire, the issue of Sullivan / Sezer for next year will have to be resolved with one of them gone, as well as the issue of Twal / Seyfarth somewhat competing against each other for same similar role, Matamua, Klemmer and Toa might be cut too if theyre making hard decisions (klemmer only if his stats are lessening as he ages).
I think you're right.

I reckon Benji will want to free up some spots for player types we desperately need.

Tumeth released & only one of Sezer or Sullivan retained would give us 2 spots.

Big watch on Twal, Seyfarth, Naden, To'a, Staines, Doeuihi, Alaimalo, Faataape, Sione Fainu over rest of the season - they all need to seriously impress to cement spots.

I know Matamua has been up and down but I still think there a real gem there. If our middle defence was better, I'd have no issue with him playing 60min in the middle for first grade. Teams just seem to be able to find too much space in and around the ruck and it kills us.
Our 13 just needs to get through soo much work on defence, which is why I think they have favoured Pole to date.
The team's that haven't been able to break us down in the middle is where we have had success. I honestly think we will put the dogs to the sword this week, our pack should dominate theirs

It's sort of like the late 90's when a lot of halves switched to hooker successfully.

Generally speaking the players who come through as halves are the most talented players. Some kick on, some fall just short. Those that fall just short can transition to a position that requires less skill and pressure, like hooker and lock.

And you would think they might be looking to hang onto Faataape who seems higher up the depth chart than several other guys here ..so not a lot of room left …
We can't re-sign him. He's really just another plodder. If we release both Toa and someone like Staines or Naden then maybe he could sneak a top 30 spot. But really he's a backup, too small, too slow to ever be a starting player. But a better backup than the likes of Kepaoa

Last edited:
Yes but the fact that he’s only played around 10-15mins game time on each of the coast 2 games is quite strange for a highly rated young player we’re supposed to be developing.
He was getting ragdolled by attacking forwards at times in those first grade minutes he had.

Needs more physical development to consistently defend in the middle for more than a a few sets (despite his muscular physique - he's a lightweight).

Would be good to see him play some open-age in Massey Cup like the backrowers - but they obviously don't think he's physically robust enough yet.

I’m surprised by him saying we are done in the recruiting, we are still not a first grade team who goes well each week , we need probably 2 more , I note the panthers signing he noted centre next year so we need a big prop with strong go forward carries and a speedy big winger , prop will let Pole play back row , the other thing is our second grade team shows not much in the players who can meet first grade we need to unload half of them and get firing first graders from other clubs who are behind top class players
I just hope we snag Willison from the Bronco's.
He is the big, young prop we need for starters!
Hoping they waive enough $$$ and incentives to get him?

You can't expect all 18 year olds to jump in and belong at NRL or even NSW Cup level.

Galvin is something different altogether as he's doing more than even Benji did at that age. Latu is also doing well holding his own at NRL level. Da Silva is probably a year away.

Forwards like Miller, Laulilli, Faagatu will likely take a bit longer to develop. I expect it won't be until 2026 before they regularly appear in the NRL.

We have too many 18-19 year olds in the top 30, but the club chose to do that so we wouldn't lose them. IMO we need some stopgap players for the next year to help them out. Would be nice to find someone who can play 13 if the club doesn't rate Matamua.

There was a good article this morning on MSN where Billy Slater offered his opinion that the WTS with the purchases of Luai, Turuva and the emergence of very good young talent are on the way up. Slater imo is one of the best commentators and his opinions are to a large extent free from club bias. I would like him at our club as a consultant.

There was a good article this morning on MSN where Billy Slater offered his opinion that the WTS with the purchases of Luai, Turuva and the emergence of very good young talent are on the way up. Slater imo is one of the best commentators and his opinions are to a large extent free from club bias. I would like him at our club as a consultant.
Jareams person on field coach

Currently we have our top 30 spots locked up for 2025 if the options for Uto, Sezer & Tumeth are exercised.

We all know that there will likely be a player or 2 currently under contract moved on which will free up some more spots.

But it got me thinking which young players do we have could be integral to the team based on their physical attributes (and what we currently lack in our top 17) ...

1 Jordan Miller - big, metre-eating prop with offloading ability.
2 Solo Saukuru - big tackle-busting centre/wing with good aerial ability.
3 Heath Mason - dynamo with quick acceleration & footwork.
4 Nav Willett - tall, strong wing/centre with with good aerial ability.
5 Herman Tofaeono - explosive prop that can bust a line, provide impact off bench.
6 Lachlan Broederlow - strong, powerful backrower in both A&D, brings effort.
7 Luke Laulilii - strong, powerful tackle-breaking wing.

He's way better than Cronk. Cronk comes across like a rich spoilt school kid. Thinks everyone is below him. He was lucky with the teams/systems he played in. Never did it tough and turned a struggling team around.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back