Skandalis answers call to return to big time

G

Skandalis answers call to return to big time
DANIEL LANE
July 18, 2010

WESTS TIGERS prop John Skandalis might soon be housed in a glass cabinet at the club's office in Concord with a sticker emblazoned with the words ''in case of emergency break glass and hand football boots''.

The 34-year-old, who has played a club record 180 games, is on the bench for tomorrow's match against North Queensland at Leichhardt Oval despite his alleged ''retirement'' after answering a similar SOS last season.

''I've never said I'm retired,'' he said. ''Those words have never passed my lips. I love the game, I love the contest, I'm still fit - so why not help out? As long as I'm contributing to the team I'm happy.

''There's blokes who are older than me still playing. However, I'm trying not to get too nervous. I'm trying to control the nerves.''

Skandalis, who keeps fit by training - and playing - for the club's premier league team, by working as the Wests Tigers under 20 strength and conditioning coach and by maintaining his own training, said his selection was not a reflection of the calibre of young props at the club.

''We have talent,'' he said. ''Andrew Fifita has been playing well all year but unfortunately he's out with a cork this week, and in the under 20s we have Neil Begovich and Benny Murdoch-Masila. I think Tim [Sheens, coach] wanted some experience.''

Still doesn't explain why Moors was overlooked given the way he has been playing.

@willow said:
Still doesn't explain why Moors was overlooked given the way he has been playing.

5 hit ups from 2 stints against the dragons was hardly great.
workrate coming out of our end is not up to scratch.
he got a taste of semi final football against the dragons and wasn't up to it.

another off season with folkes should see a big year in 2011.
for this year,i hope moors extra minutes in reggies helps us at the back end in first grade so he can produce more of what he showed against the bulldogs.
there is a different mentality you want from your props and moors isn't there yet.all part of learning his craft and the subtle differences from backrower to prop.

i have seen what we have lacked alot this year,and skando in the past has been able to play the role.
hopefully skando can take on the role one more time and lead us out of our end towards the finals.

Semi football…..

Well why not give Moors more time during the season in First Grade to get him ready....Moors had no trouble carring 3 and 4 blokes yesterday wherever he got the ball.....

I know 1 bloke who's glad Moors played yesterday......Taumata....

Having said that.....Skandalis won't let anyone down......

Just a very negative selection that send all the wrong messages out their to all the players busting their guts to get their chance in the NRL. Although as Geo said Skando will not let anyone down

@Geo. said:
Semi football…..

Well why not give Moors more time during the season in First Grade to get him ready....Moors had no trouble carring 3 and 4 blokes yesterday wherever he got the ball.....

that's great to hear that he didn't sulk and has got stuck in.
exactly what you are trying to get him to do.
your approach may be the correct one,but i see the merit in sending him back to reggies and telling him to take on more responsibility so it becomes more natural.if sheens simply dropped him and hasn't communicated with moors the reasons and what he wants him to achieve,then it is a waste of moors time.
is giving him 35mins in first grade better for his fitness or is 60min in reggies?

he hit a peak against the bulldogs,then slid just a little against the raiders and then more against the dragons.
his form was declining not rising over his last month.
if i whine about players who don't get dropped,i don't think i should when someone does.

@bonstonker said:
@Geo. said:
Semi football…..

your approach may be the correct one,but i see the merit in sending him back to reggies and telling him to take on more responsibility so it becomes more natural.if sheens simply dropped him and hasn't communicated with moors the reasons and what he wants him to achieve,then it is a waste of moors time.
is giving him 35mins in first grade better for his fitness or is 60min in reggies?

he hit a peak against the bulldogs,then slid just a little against the raiders and then more against the dragons.
if i whine about players who don't get dropped,i don't think i should when someone does.

The big difference between watching Moors in FG and State Cup is the way he is used though Bon. Sheens was using him straight up the middle in FG with varied results while he's used out wide in State Cup with devastating effect. If Sheens has plans for putting him in the backrow and playing him wide of the ruck, I can see the merit in this.

Very selfish move by Skandalis. Dumb move by Sheens.

I had no problem with it last year. We were going badly, we had injuries throughout the pack, so him coming in was a must. This year we have Moors, Gower ,Tupou and Dave Fifita in the ranks, and in the case of Moors, going really well in 1st grade, and yet we go back to a guy whose best days are long gone.

What irks me the most is that we give Moors a taste, he goes well and shows value and then we just drop him for no reason. Other clubs will see how well he went and will sign him up. Its idiotic and just bad business.

@willow said:
@bonstonker said:
@Geo. said:
Semi football…..

The big difference between watching Moors in FG and State Cup is the way he is used though Bon. Sheens was using him straight up the middle in FG with varied results while he's used out wide in State Cup with devastating effect. If Sheens has plans for putting him in the backrow and playing him wide of the ruck, I can see the merit in this.

do you believe he should be playing in the backrow .

I think Sheens may be using Skando to get him back up to NRL speed as a bit of insurance.
Cayless is a dud recruit, Tupou is a long way off going on yesterday, Fifita injured, Galloway still yet to hit his straps….I dont mind having a cool head to call on this stage of the season....look at the benches people are naming....all pimples and milkshakes - very green still.

@ron burgandy said:
i wish skando had of let the phone ring out…...

10,000 supporters think otherwise. Skandalis got a rousing cheer when his name was read out over the loud speaker at Leichhardt Oval tonight and he played well. As the Wests Tigers fans on this forum predicted - Skando Didnt Let Us Down.

Back