Smart Sheensy!

tigerlogic

Look, I know there has been times when sheens has carried a back on the bench it hasn't really come off, (although I certainly don't believe it has cost us a game) but tonight his decision to do so arguably won us the game!
Utai came on and was fantastic, made great runs, scores an important try and towards the end took an awesome take on our try line which I think was one of the plays of the game!
It doesn't cost us games when sheens carries a back, but it definitely got us a win tonight
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

Utai works because you can utilise him as a third prop.

The bench selection was still poor and relied on Woods and KG to play huge minutes.

Had Lawrence stayed on the pitch, we were stuffed. We were completely lost until Ayshford moved into pivot and Moltzen started chiming in at the back.

@Cultured Bogan said:

The bench selection was still poor and relied on Woods and KG to play huge minutes.

Had Lawrence stayed on the pitch, we were stuffed. We were completely lost until Ayshford moved into pivot and Moltzen started chiming in at the back.

Sums it up perfectly

If Matt Utai is the back on the bench for the rest of the year I won't complain about the bench selection again. At least Utai can make an impact on the game and get us moving again if we're doing it tough. There'd be no reason for Utai to sit on the bench for 70 mins, waiting for an injury or just to get a courtesy 5 minutes at the end. I find it hard to believe last night was only his 150th game. He's been around forever.
\
\

@Cultured Bogan said:

mmm maybe Ashford may find himself at 5/8 next week????

We won in spite of the coach yet again imo.

Everyweek we tend to play 15 vs 17.

Hope Utai reatins that spot on the bench for rest of year though.

Yep … Great team effort from top to bottom.
Now for the Cowboys :slight_smile:

@Defiant said:
We won in spite of the coach yet again imo.

Everyweek we tend to play 15 vs 17.

Hope Utai reatins that spot on the bench for rest of year though.

Sorry to say i think this is the case. We only got going in the second half after Lawrence went off getting him out of the halves. Hardly a coincidence

@Cultured Bogan said:

i thought we up the speed of our go forward when politoni came on good ploy by sheens

I agree with many of the posts that say we were better in the second half, this is my whole point, of sheens didn't use the tactic of keeping a back on the bench lastnight would not have happend.. Agree with everyone in how much better we looked second half..

Side note, I have plenty of time for humble plays hard has a dig and got good skills too
\
\

our speed did increase when Pat was at dummy half… he can rip it out with speed, and also puts it in the right spot!

Without taking anything away from Humble, I wish he got more game time!

@Cultured Bogan said:

Exactly,it wasn't smart coaching it was lucky,we won again inspite of the coach,Rowdy is not a 5/8th,we were lost in the first half,I wonder what super coach will do now,surely this is the end of Rowdy at 6.

Yes i agree with Tigerlogic as well, even when we win Sheens gets bagged, even though Rowdy isnt a 5/8 his defence was very good while he was on the field last night.

@851 said:
@Cultured Bogan said:
\
\
Exactly,it wasn't smart coaching it was lucky,we won again inspite of the coach,Rowdy is not a 5/8th,we were lost in the first half,I wonder what super coach will do now,surely this is the end of Rowdy at 6.

It's smart, because if sheens never carried a winger on the bench (as most ppl on here criticise) when Lawrence couldn't play what would have happend? If junior moors or another prop (as many ppl here wish for) was on the bench and not Utai we lose lastnight, Utai was fantastic!
I'm sceptical re Lawrence at 6 too, but sheens knows the players strengths and potentials (and desires) better then any of us, so well done to the team and to sheensy, 4 on the trot, now let's put the cows away too
\
\

Sheens knows that Utai is under pressure with Ryan having a career best season and Lote going ok on the other wing. Utai has to take any oppertunity with both hands and run with it. He certainly let noone down last night. Yes having him on the bench last night was the right thing for us and I hope Sheeney shows him a little loyalty because his effort is second to non and can realy spark us up. I recon Utai may have gotten a little lazy / comfortable last year when regulaly selected but now he seems a lot fresher and ready to rip in. I feel he is going to be very important to us the comming rounds.

@badger said:
Sheens knows that Utai is under pressure with Ryan having a career best season and Lote going ok on the other wing. Utai has to take any oppertunity with both hands and run with it. He certainly let noone down last night. Yes having him on the bench last night was the right thing for us and I hope Sheeney shows him a little loyalty because his effort is second to non and can realy spark us up. I recon Utai may have gotten a little lazy / comfortable last year when regulaly selected but now he seems a lot fresher and ready to rip in. I feel he is going to be very important to us the comming rounds.

X2
\
\

If you are going to experiment with players in different positions, this is the time of the season to do it. How does anyone know if Lawry would or would not make a good five eighth. Who would have though Blake would have handled it. The only way to find out is to try new things. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Better to find out in May than in September.

@tigerlogic said:
@851 said:
@Cultured Bogan said:
\
\

It's smart, because if sheens never carried a winger on the bench (as most ppl on here criticise) **when Lawrence couldn't play what would have happend?** If junior moors or another prop (as many ppl here wish for) was on the bench and not Utai we lose lastnight, Utai was fantastic!
I'm sceptical re Lawrence at 6 too, but sheens knows the players strengths and potentials (and desires) better then any of us, so well done to the team and to sheensy, 4 on the trot, now let's put the cows away too
\
\

Humble to half, Polotini to hooker, Marshall 5/8

Back