LIVE GAME *SPOILERS* Round 2 vs Raiders

Live Game Discussion
I got 4 points from the disaster,
1) the ref gave us f***** all
2) our defence is a nightmare they can’t even defend a very short blind
3) our attacked is disjointed and when we do go out the back it is so slow the raiders had time to eat a sandwich what the hell have they been doing for the last 4 months ,BUD is useless sezer has to come in
4) I known this will be yelled down but I am calling it now , benji is out off his depth, nothing has changed, soft hit ups , soft defence and we are a joke in attack. Benji has been my fav player since he played his 1st game , but u got to call out what u see , I hope Iam proved wrong , but that’s my call

Good football teams these days are tough and uncompromising. I hate both the Storm and Penrith but watched that first round game in awe of both teams. They played as if their life depended on it.
Since this club was formed we've never had a tough as nails team and very few tough players. When we won it in 2005 we had very good backs and a small but highly mobile pack. In today's team maybe Klemmer is tough but I don't think he's as tough as he was. Maybe Olam can be if he can get fit.
We just don't recruit the kind of players to make up a team that can tough it out when they're up against it.
Until we do we'll stay in the bottom half of the comp and more likely the bottom quarter.
I said in an earlier thread that "fitness is essential.. football smarts and absolute talent wins games"
We have about 35% of both in the team,the rest are there to make up the numbers..

Really happy with Galvin's first game.

Well done
Most pleasing aspect from today's game was Galvin's debut. What he achieved for an 18 year old was enormous. 170m, 1 line break, 3 tackle breaks and played for the full 80mins. Be encouraged - his debut was greater than Benjis as an 18 year old back in 2003. He really is something special and his progress and development throughout the year is something to get excited about.

Good game summary

Re: Klem - He appears to be our new Sharon. Stats may look solid but very little impact. You can add Twal to the list too. There's a reason it took Twal so long to score his first try and I doubt he will score another. Least impacting runner of the ball out of all NRL forwards. I'll have to look at his post contact metre stats.

Dud Sullivan needs to be cut, Staines cut, Toa cut.

Benji, I hope your working on changing the teams attitude because its piss weak as usual.
We missed the boat when Flanno was available. Watch Saints this year, tough and uncompromising.
Benji is a nice guy but lacks that fear factor that NRL league players expect from a coach. None of the other coaches are nice guys.

I feel this is not going to end well for Benji and it is probably a bonus that John Morris is in standby but if he is the defence coach something is wrong here too.

I have always thought Klemm gets a charmed critique on here. Slow as including his play the balls, easy mark but his stats look good. Stef Klem and Twal all same style of player dont intimidate anyone. Liked seeing Stef lose his cool it needs to happen more often
Like a house depends on its foundation, the team depend on the forwards. And in the second game in a row, we were outmuscled, outrun, outplayed, and outenthused in forwards!
We have very weak depth in many positions, but the lack of aggressive forwards remains our weakest link!

I only watch one game live each year and this was it. Toa is even more lethargic in the flesh. Staines is way too small. Galvin needs some ball runners. Bateman is picking up a cheque and not much else. Sullivan was horredous.Stef is a mattress. Seyfarth is just the wrong size and shape. We do not have a forward capable of folding someone. Fainu maybe. 100x better with Sezer. Any ball movement without Api looks like under 8s pass the parcel. Still cant count numbers out wide.

I got 4 points from the disaster,
1) the ref gave us f***** all
2) our defence is a nightmare they can’t even defend a very short blind
3) our attacked is disjointed and when we do go out the back it is so slow the raiders had time to eat a sandwich what the hell have they been doing for the last 4 months ,BUD is useless sezer has to come in
4) I known this will be yelled down but I am calling it now , benji is out off his depth, nothing has changed, soft hit ups , soft defence and we are a joke in attack. Benji has been my fav player since he played his 1st game , but u got to call out what u see , I hope Iam proved wrong , but that’s my call

They're all fair points, no disagreement here.
If i can add to this by saying Richo knows we're so unbalanced hence the call that there will be player movement.

Rookie coach with the weakest squad in the competition absolutely nothing surprising about the result. You don't have to be a footy genius to have predicted the outcome and fixing it is not going to happen with the current lot.

Rookie coach with the weakest squad in the competition absolutely nothing surprising about the result. You don't have to be a footy genius to have predicted the outcome and fixing it is not going to happen with the current lot.
Very inexperienced spine, Api aside.
Very poor move naming Sullivan over Aidan.

Ciraldo persisted with dud Haze Perham last year where it was clear he was no good... hopefully Benji isn't the type of coach to persist with poor players in important positions.

Our forwards failed in the last trial and were very ineffective today too.. they need Heigno to out a rocket up them

We missed the boat when Flanno was available. Watch Saints this year, tough and uncompromising.
Benji is a nice guy but lacks that fear factor that NRL league players expect from a coach. None of the other coaches are nice guys.
Not sure about your "fear factor", but you are right about missing the boat on Flanno. I'm not sure how long you've been around on here but if it's a long time you will recall all the crap that used to go on about our "no dickhead policy" and people threatening to tear up memberships if certain people became involved with the club etc. Been going on for about 13 years or so.....I'll let you work out how the results have been in that time.

Last year it was Bula and this year it looks like Galvin. The young centre made one rookie error but looks like a find and I hope he can get more ball. Fainu played well and Pole is one of the best younger players we have. Sezer made a big difference when he came on and hopefully Olam will play next week.

I love the way Benji talks about standards and such, but players having a drink and turning their backs on Raiders penalty attempt made us look like a comedy act.

I love the way Benji talks about standards and such, but players having a drink and turning their backs on Raiders penalty attempt made us look like a comedy act.
Yeah, commentators made special mention of that.

Seems like a clear lack of respect to, not only the opposition but the result of the game.

Very disappointing.
Should've sent Galvin out a winner on his debut game.

Back