Starford To’a #253

jrtiger

image.png
Wests Tigers are pleased to announce the signing of outside back Starford To’a, effective immediately, for the next two seasons.

The two-year deal will see the former Newcastle Knights player join the club for the start of the 2022 NRL season and remain in Wests Tigers colours until at least the end of the 2023 season.

The 21-year-old made his NRL debut in 2019 in which he scored a try in his opening match and has since gone on to claim 11 four-pointers in 20 first-grade appearances.

Although To’a has played all of his NRL matches on the wing, he is capable of featuring at fullback and in the centres — adding great depth to the Wests Tigers backline.

The Auckland-born To’a has already played at a representative level, having featured for the Junior Kiwis and Australian Schoolboys.

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire said To’a would be a great addition to the club.

“Starford is a talented player with NRL experience and I’m really pleased to welcome him to our team,” Maguire said.

“Starford will be a great addition to the talented young squad that we’re building, and I look forward to him joining the team ahead of the 2022 NRL season.”

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe welcomed To’a’s arrival to the club.

“On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, I’d like to say how pleased we are to welcome Starford to our club,” Pascoe said.

“We are looking forward to watching him improve further in the NRL at Wests Tigers.”

To’a will link up with the club immediately as he begins pre-season training with the squad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see him starting a few games for us in 2022… a very astute signing by the club

Probably puts an end to any thoughts of roberts being upgraded.

A younger and versatile outisde back, who's already played with talau and madden in the aussie schoolboys so knows a few of our boys to help him settle in.

Happy with this signing

He'll play a few games for sure, especially with the covid drama that's ahead

Could even get a run at centre. Played mostly there in cup and there's a spot open for the taking in the top 17

Great fend here! https://www.sportbible.com/australia/nrl-news-nrl-winger-starford-toa-produces-stiff-arm-that-sends-opponent-flying-20210422

Given Toa had 2 years left on his Newcastle contract, it beckons whether he pushed for a release or the Knights didn't see a future with him in it. If the latter, it would be interesting to know why.

@thedaboss said in [Wests Tigers sign Starford To’a](/post/1521246) said:
Good Signing

youtube.com/watch?v=wUilMhzxYmU

Thanks for posting. Looks a unit. Pops up in the right place right time a lot too!

@calbremic said in [Wests Tigers sign Starford To’a](/post/1521252) said:
Roberts is signed for 2022. That’s our 30 players signed now

he isn't yet.

if we can announce a new signing from another club that plays the same position as roberts, and still not made an official announcement on roberts that speaks volumes. absolutely no room for him now.

@balmain-boy said in [Wests Tigers sign Starford To’a](/post/1521256) said:

he isn't yet.

if we can announce a new signing from another club that plays the same position as roberts, and still not made an official announcement on roberts that speaks volumes. absolutely no room for him now.

Roberts is officially listed in our top 30. No announcement needed because he was already signed for this year originally. Tigers have honoured the second year option.

@roar_power said in [Wests Tigers sign Starford To’a](/post/1521253) said:
Given Toa had 2 years left on his Newcastle contract, it beckons whether he pushed for a release or the Knights didn't see a future with him in it. If the latter, it would be interesting to know why.

According to Pom, he was given permission to negotiate.

@nrlsurvivor said in [Wests Tigers sign Starford To’a](/post/1521257) said:
@balmain-boy said in [Wests Tigers sign Starford To’a](/post/1521256) said:

he isn't yet.

Roberts is officially listed in our top 30. No announcement needed because he was already signed for this year originally. Tigers have honoured the second year option.

no, we didn't take up the option for the second season. he wasn't good enough and the contract was for too much coin. if he has since signed he's been upgraded from a train and trial contract, which would be a real shame.

and as he wasnt signed to a professional contract then we should announce him.

can't see him getting any gametime ahead of To'a, gildart, kepaoa, tupou,

I think he's a good signing. Young, but has 20 odd games under his belt and didn't look out of place. Not injured or recovering. I think he'll play at least half the season for us.

@balmain-boy said in [Wests Tigers sign Starford To’a](/post/1521244) said:
Probably puts an end to any thoughts of roberts being upgraded.

A younger and versatile outisde back, who's already played with talau and madden in the aussie schoolboys so knows a few of our boys to help him settle in.

Happy with this signing

Roberts has already been upgraded to Top 30 and is listed as such on the official website.

I thought To'a was one of Newcastle's better wing prospects, I'm surprised they let him go. I guess at this age / experience level, if we've trumped them for 2023, no point holding onto him 1 season.

Latest posts

Back