Start of the second half...

Centaur

The Tigers ran out with ONE PROP on the field, in Skando, a 34 year old veteran who Sheens admitted pre-game was really there to keep defence tight for a couple of short stints. Ok, he did that, did it well enough and I have no complaints.

However, how can we take the field with only one prop on the field, especially when it is one that it is not going to take many charges? Suicide in my opinion, and we were very lucky to get away with it. I know we scored a handful of tries in that 10 or so minutes when Gibbs, Sauce and Payten were off the field, but we got very lucky. We had to resort to going from side to side to go around the Cowboys, before actually making metres up the middle and getting them on the back foot. This resulted in a couple of mistakes eventually, going for plays that were not on because the defence was in our face.

Against a better side with better forwards we would of been thrashed to pieces after the break tonight, we just didn't have the right players on the park. We need two props on the bench, minimum.

well, we all know how sheens reacted when we last a couple of wingers in the game against Parra last year.
Hopefully losing Sauce early in this game will make sheens go the other way from here on in.
but i doubt it

Heighington plays like a prop in any case. No problem starting him at lock, but we can`t afford to have him at lock for the full 80mins as back rowers needs to be genuine tackle busters such as Ellis, Moors, Dwyer and Fulton.

I would hazard a guess for the reason of this to be sheens's game plan.
He would know cowboys cant play a second half, so if he had his big props coming on late getting meters, then benji and robie could work on the back of that
i dont know? at the time i was a bit wierded out by it too.

@Vicious said:
Heighington plays like a prop in any case. No problem starting him at lock, but we can`t afford to have him at lock for the full 80mins as back rowers needs to be genuine tackle busters such as Ellis, Moors, Dwyer and Fulton.

i would have thought rhino has busted more tackles than any of our forwards this year.

did we score all of our points while skando was on the field?
must of gone close.

Skandalis got belted and pushed backwards everytime he took the ball up. Was pretty obvious.

I don't understand why we are in this situation when Moors was fit and ready to play. The mind boggles.

@Vicious said:

Well he runs like a prop, but he does his best work a bit wider of the ruck, like he should be. That is when he is most effective.

We need big lumps doing the hard yakka up the middle of the park, quick play the balls, defence on the back foot and THEN spread the ball wide. A a few occassions tonight our back line play was snuffed out because the defence got in the halves faces too easily.

Sheens prop rotation was wrecked by Galloway getting concussion. Anyway it worked out quite well in the end because he had Payten out their at the end when it really counted

@Centaur said:
The Tigers ran out with ONE PROP on the field, in Skando, a 34 year old veteran who Sheens admitted pre-game was really there to keep defence tight for a couple of short stints. Ok, he did that, did it well enough and I have no complaints.

However, how can we take the field with only one prop on the field, especially when it is one that it is not going to take many charges? Suicide in my opinion, and we were very lucky to get away with it. I know we scored a handful of tries in that 10 or so minutes when Gibbs, Sauce and Payten were off the field, but we got very lucky. We had to resort to going from side to side to go around the Cowboys, before actually making metres up the middle and getting them on the back foot. This resulted in a couple of mistakes eventually, going for plays that were not on because the defence was in our face.

Against a better side with better forwards we would of been thrashed to pieces after the break tonight, we just didn't have the right players on the park. We need two props on the bench, minimum.

Lote Tuqiri 36m
Mitch Brown 45m
Blake Ayshford 49m
Lote Tuqiri 54m

The tries scored with a majority of the front row off… doesn't seem to stupid to me does it? We had them running in the first half, extremely poor execution let us down. They were ragged and the try by Tuqiri before HT was the killer blow. Putting the smaller blokes out there meant we could run them ragged

@Eye Of Wests Tigers said:
@Centaur said:

Lote Tuqiri 36m
Mitch Brown 45m
Blake Ayshford 49m
Lote Tuqiri 54m

The tries scored with a majority of the front row off… doesn't seem to stupid to me does it? We had them running in the first half, extremely poor execution let us down. They were ragged and the try by Tuqiri before HT was the killer blow. Putting the smaller blokes out there meant we could run them ragged

Did you even read what I said? I am aware we scored all those points - but we got lucky. One of them was from a piece of Benji brilliance.

Let's try do it against a form side aye…

Members online

Back