Taylor needed to have a shot at the Officials

@Eddie said:
I admired Taylor's stance at first.

However at some point you need to look at competitive advantage. Bellamy, Hasler, Mcguire, Robinson they know what it is about. Getting inside the refs head is an art of coaching and management. Planting a seed in their mind from time to time. Telling them a week out before the net game that they have lost the last 5 penalty counts.

We are seen as an easy team to Penalise. When he don't even whinge about it when it happens. So who cares, keep caning the Tigers no one will pick up a stink. Yesterday we were very ordinary. However we lost the game due to a disgraceful bit of officiating. Any of the big dogs of the coaching world would have howled from the roof tops. They know they can't get the result back for yesterday, but they might get the net 50-50 down the track.

I agree with Taylor that blaming the ref is a poor excuse. However it is used by other coaches for competitive advantage. Thats what he needs to understand. We need every little bit of competitive advantage we can get.

SImona was easy to ping for 3 matches. Because we don't kick up a stink about anything.

Look at the great Sir Alex Ferguson, was a master at putting pressure on officials.

Taylor said we need to be tougher, well sometimes he needs to be a bit tougher like the big dogs of the coaching world

I agree, in some ways Taylor could make more comments. For example our horrendous record under Gavin Badger, I'd mention it every time, I'd make sure the media heard about it, that fans knew Tigers had such a horrid record under just one ref.

I wouldn't say anything specific about Badger's performances and not about any collusion or intent, but last weekend was a perfect example. When asked about two balls, Taylor said "it is horrendous that it can happen in the NRL" and I would have added, "just another freak occurrence to increase our extremely poor record under referee Badger". You can't get fined for that, but the papers pick up that the coach knows and everyone knows about the "Badger thing", beyond just players tweeting it from time to time, and next time we have Badger and lose, find a way to reference it again.

You can guarantee we'd get a gradual shift updwards in wins under Badger, or less games with him officiating. NRL is all about status quo and equalisation.

In some ways Taylor is admirable that he does not get into blaming and passing of the buck. It could ultimately cost him his job.

I realise it's hard for coaches, because as ink said before, if JT blames then people think he's putting spin and trying to offload the pressure, but if he keeps his mouth shut people say he's not massaging the system enough.

There's probably a balance between occasional criticisms of the NRL, more on the Bellamy / Bennett side of things than Toovey / Stuart.

@jirskyr said:
In some ways Taylor is admirable that he does not get into blaming and passing of the buck.

I think he handled this 100% correctly. You need to look at yourself rather than looking at outside factors. We had plenty of chances to win that game.

Back