Taylor needed to have a shot at the Officials

If you wave your arms at the opposing player lining up a conversion you would be penalised for attempted distraction yet if you kick a ball at a player catching a high ball under pressure on the goal line nothing is done?
I don't like blaming refs but that was just so dodgy….Sims' kick was an intentional effort to put Rankin off, no doubt about that.

Im with JT on this.

Did the ref get it wrong? Yes. But the moment you start making excuses for your players you allow them to drop their standards every time something goes against them. Next week it will be a forward pass or an offside, it never ends.

A good team wouldn't have let it decide the game. Defend the next set and get the ball back. No excuses!

@strrretch said:
If you wave your arms at the opposing player lining up a conversion you would be penalised for attempted distraction yet if you kick a ball at a player catching a high ball under pressure on the goal line nothing is done?
I don't like blaming refs but that was just so dodgy….Sims' kick was an intentional effort to put Rankin off, no doubt about that.

Sims' kick was certainly intentional and he should of served 10 minutes in the sin bin for a professional foul and a penalty awarded to Wests Tigers. But it was a home town crowd and Badger was the referee.

@diedpretty said:
@Tigermama said:
@fergiefurr said:
I don’t believe the referees cost us the game yesterday however you can’t deny that some terrible calls against us greatly influenced the result. Not once has JT blamed the referees for us losing a game, in fact I don’t think he’s ever said anything against them. I get what Taylor is doing with his press conferences. He is trying to create some accountability that the club has been lacking for years. However on some occasions I believe a smart and will directed spray against the officials is needed.

We don’t want to see him become another Ricky Stuart who blames them every time they lose, but it can be beneficial. I remember a few years back when Brian Smith was coaching the Roosters and they copped a hammering from the refs. At the press conference he went to town on them and I think even copped the $10k fine. Next week the Roosters played us and low and behold won their first penalty count (at Leichhardt mind you) in something like 8 weeks. I don’t think refs ever go out and purposely favour a side, however it has to be in the back of their minds that if they cane a certain side in penalties the back page headline will be them copping it from a coach. Same as if a coach never talks out about them, they know we’ll accept the 50/50s going against us without so much as a murmur.

The other point is that it makes the players feel like he is on their side. Like I said I can see what he is doing and he is right, we do need to be tougher. The guys need some tough love. However I also think the players would appreciate knowing their coach has their back and will speak up when absolute howlers go against them. Coaches have used the siege mentality to their advantage on many occasions. To me Taylor should have pointed out that all four penalties we got were for high tackles and we didn’t receive a single discretionary penalty over 80 minutes. He should have mentioned the second ball call as completely farcical. This wouldn’t be whining, it would be pointing out facts. I think the players would have appreciated it and maybe the referees would have taken note.

The only thing said about the second ball incident, was that Rankin shouldn't have been distracted by it and should have caught the ball instead of knocking on. Woods agreed.
He shouldn't have been distracted by the second ball.

Yes he should of caught the ball but that's not the point - the refs got it wrong - the moment Sims put the other ball in play they should have blown the whistle and at the very least put a scrum down in our favour. I can see how they could have played on if the ball remained on the ground and out of play but it didn't and it was very poor refereeing by all including the bunker. Had Taylor made that clear instead of pussy footing around the subject then at least the referees might of got a rocket up them - as it is nothing has been done.

Totally agree with you DP.

I can't recall, but did Woods aproach the ref about it?
Can you imagine if it was the Sharks that happened too. Gallen would be in the refs face the rest of the game.

@Tigermama said:
Can you imagine if it was the Sharks that happened too. Gallen would be in the refs face the rest of the game.

It was Halatau the acting captain who approached the referee about it but as we know Halatau is quiet and unassuming and not at all volatile like Gallen or even Farah for example.

Technically, by the rule book it should have been a scrum and feed for Newcastle. A drop out was probably a better result for us, and yet we still couldn't hold them out. Only ourselves to blame - again.

Refs should have gone to kthe bunker to determine where the ball entered the field. From that, it's a matter of whether Sims kicked the ball deliberately. If he did, it's a professional foul, penalty to the Tigers where he kicked the ball.

If Sims kicked the ball accidentally, then the play is dead from the time the ball entered the field and it's a scrum feed to The Knights from where the ball entered the field of play.

Is that it? What the refs did was plain wrong and badly disadvantaged the Tigers.

I admired Taylor's stance at first.

However at some point you need to look at competitive advantage. Bellamy, Hasler, Mcguire, Robinson they know what it is about. Getting inside the refs head is an art of coaching and management. Planting a seed in their mind from time to time. Telling them a week out before the net game that they have lost the last 5 penalty counts.

We are seen as an easy team to Penalise. When he don't even whinge about it when it happens. So who cares, keep caning the Tigers no one will pick up a stink. Yesterday we were very ordinary. However we lost the game due to a disgraceful bit of officiating. Any of the big dogs of the coaching world would have howled from the roof tops. They know they can't get the result back for yesterday, but they might get the net 50-50 down the track.

I agree with Taylor that blaming the ref is a poor excuse. However it is used by other coaches for competitive advantage. Thats what he needs to understand. We need every little bit of competitive advantage we can get.

SImona was easy to ping for 3 matches. Because we don't kick up a stink about anything.

Look at the great Sir Alex Ferguson, was a master at putting pressure on officials.

Taylor said we need to be tougher, well sometimes he needs to be a bit tougher like the big dogs of the coaching world

Sorry Eddie.
It may work for Bellamy and haslers teams… They're capable in defence and don't have to resort to ill discipline
Any mug can see we can't hold opposition forwards and our penalties against are warranted.
Complaining about even a rare one off incident just passes the buck
It's a Soft option.
He will never win no matter what he does or doesn't do

I am not making a big deal of it. Take a look at what I said, I said I agree it is a poor excuse for losing a game. But sometimes you need to get competitive advantage, show me a top coach in world sport that doesn't niggle the officials from time to time??? Even Sheens used to do if with good effect at times. Not all the time but every now and then.

The only penalties we got yesterday were for high tackles. We got zero differential penalties. Sometimes you need to stand up for your club and your team even if it is just a tactic. Even if you know that your losing games because of your own soft options.

We are getting belted by refs int he penalty count and losing at the judiciary.

I know were playing soft, but were also being soft on the refs.

We lost 2 points yesterday partly because of a big decision that was farcical.

Refs are human, when the big dogs put them under pressure sub consciously it will affect them. Tigers are an easy team to ping at the minute.

Im looking at the best coaches in world sport, they all do it form time to time to gain a slight advantage.

Even Hasler just then, saying at half time we can't buy a penalty. Watch him use this tactic in the post game for competitive advantage in the forth coming weeks.

Forget yesterdays game but Taylors pussyfooting around when it comes to referees and their dubious calls is poor. You're not wrong when it comes to the heavy hitters in the coaching ranks they know what to say and how to say it when things go against them.

@glebe_tiger said:
Forget yesterdays game but Taylors pussyfooting around when it comes to referees and their dubious calls is poor. You're not wrong when it comes to the heavy hitters in the coaching ranks they know what to say and how to say it when things go against them.

Exactly.

Taylor should have walked in, lifted his chair, dropped his pants and put 2 balls on the table before asking any questions?

@Harvey said:
Taylor should have walked in, lifted his chair, dropped his pants and put 2 balls on the table before asking any questions?

Isn't that what he does before naming Lovett and Buchannan in the team every week? :astonished:

@69-05-41 said:
@Harvey said:

Isn't that what he does before naming Lovett and Buchannan in the team every week? :astonished:

No he zips up after some quality time

@Newtown said:
@Tigermama said:

It was Halatau the acting captain who approached the referee about it but as we know Halatau is quiet and unassuming and not at all volatile like Gallen or even Farah for example.

:wink: Thanks Newtown.

Back