Taylor needed to have a shot at the Officials

fergiefurr

I don’t believe the referees cost us the game yesterday however you can’t deny that some terrible calls against us greatly influenced the result. Not once has JT blamed the referees for us losing a game, in fact I don’t think he’s ever said anything against them. I get what Taylor is doing with his press conferences. He is trying to create some accountability that the club has been lacking for years. However on some occasions I believe a smart and will directed spray against the officials is needed.

We don’t want to see him become another Ricky Stuart who blames them every time they lose, but it can be beneficial. I remember a few years back when Brian Smith was coaching the Roosters and they copped a hammering from the refs. At the press conference he went to town on them and I think even copped the $10k fine. Next week the Roosters played us and low and behold won their first penalty count (at Leichhardt mind you) in something like 8 weeks. I don’t think refs ever go out and purposely favour a side, however it has to be in the back of their minds that if they cane a certain side in penalties the back page headline will be them copping it from a coach. Same as if a coach never talks out about them, they know we’ll accept the 50/50s going against us without so much as a murmur.

The other point is that it makes the players feel like he is on their side. Like I said I can see what he is doing and he is right, we do need to be tougher. The guys need some tough love. However I also think the players would appreciate knowing their coach has their back and will speak up when absolute howlers go against them. Coaches have used the siege mentality to their advantage on many occasions. To me Taylor should have pointed out that all four penalties we got were for high tackles and we didn’t receive a single discretionary penalty over 80 minutes. He should have mentioned the second ball call as completely farcical. This wouldn’t be whining, it would be pointing out facts. I think the players would have appreciated it and maybe the referees would have taken note.

I don't blame the refs either.
That's a dumb cowards way out.
Coaches like Stuart who always blame the ref are no better than players taking a dive.

@Cultured Bogan said:
Probably can't afford to pay the fine.

you cant be fined for saying they got it wrong. you can only be fined if you question their integrity.

@fergiefurr said:
I don’t believe the referees cost us the game yesterday however you can’t deny that some terrible calls against us greatly influenced the result. Not once has JT blamed the referees for us losing a game, in fact I don’t think he’s ever said anything against them. I get what Taylor is doing with his press conferences. He is trying to create some accountability that the club has been lacking for years. However on some occasions I believe a smart and will directed spray against the officials is needed.

We don’t want to see him become another Ricky Stuart who blames them every time they lose, but it can be beneficial. I remember a few years back when Brian Smith was coaching the Roosters and they copped a hammering from the refs. At the press conference he went to town on them and I think even copped the $10k fine. Next week the Roosters played us and low and behold won their first penalty count (at Leichhardt mind you) in something like 8 weeks. I don’t think refs ever go out and purposely favour a side, however it has to be in the back of their minds that if they cane a certain side in penalties the back page headline will be them copping it from a coach. Same as if a coach never talks out about them, they know we’ll accept the 50/50s going against us without so much as a murmur.

The other point is that it makes the players feel like he is on their side. Like I said I can see what he is doing and he is right, we do need to be tougher. The guys need some tough love. However I also think the players would appreciate knowing their coach has their back and will speak up when absolute howlers go against them. Coaches have used the siege mentality to their advantage on many occasions. To me Taylor should have pointed out that all four penalties we got were for high tackles and we didn’t receive a single discretionary penalty over 80 minutes. He should have mentioned the second ball call as completely farcical. This wouldn’t be whining, it would be pointing out facts. I think the players would have appreciated it and maybe the referees would have taken note.

The only thing said about the second ball incident, was that Rankin shouldn't have been distracted by it and should have caught the ball instead of knocking on. Woods agreed.
He shouldn't have been distracted by the second ball.

@Tigermama said:
@fergiefurr said:

The only thing said about the second ball incident, was that Rankin shouldn't have been distracted by it and should have caught the ball instead of knocking on. Woods agreed.
He shouldn't have been distracted by the second ball.

Yes he should of caught the ball but that's not the point - the refs got it wrong - the moment Sims put the other ball in play they should have blown the whistle and at the very least put a scrum down in our favour. I can see how they could have played on if the ball remained on the ground and out of play but it didn't and it was very poor refereeing by all including the bunker. Had Taylor made that clear instead of pussy footing around the subject then at least the referees might of got a rocket up them - as it is nothing has been done.

The second ball incident warranted discussion between refs. A quick decision penalising the the team that was affected by it was totally wrong. Easy to say Rankin shouldn't have taken notice of it and made the catch is ridiculous. Ita totally natural to be distracted by something such as that. With the benefit of hindsight, I reckon it could have been deemed a professional foul at most, or a handover to us at worst. A drop out is unacceptable. I mean, they review over and over tries, surely a minute or two in an incident such as this is fair enough.

Interesting read on NRL Website re Badger:

_"It's fair to say the Wests Tigers and referee Gavin Badger aren't on the best of terms.
Three of the Tigers' four losses in 2016 have been refereed by Badger.
On top of that, the Tigers have managed to win just two of their last 15 games officiated by the veteran whistle-blower. "_

I had the feeling we were getting flogged by the ref over last few weeks.

A massive turning point that neither Badger or the bunker had the guts to rule on it. Easy to hide behind the excuse there is nothing in the rule book that covers what happen. Anyway IMO Taylor should have let fly

The commentary teams had a good laugh about it yesterday but as the Warrens and Goulds of the world always seem to point out what if that was a gf. Of course no one is going to care early season game two lowly ranked sides but another episode that makes the nrl look amateurish.

@supercoach said:
A massive turning point that neither Badger or the bunker had the guts to rule on it. Easy to hide behind the excuse there is nothing in the rule book that covers what happen. Anyway IMO Taylor should have let fly

It's funny that the refs will stop play anytime they see a second ball on the field but decided to do diddly squat when a second ball actually had a bearing on the game.

In actual fact I think it should have been a try if they were playing to the whistle cause Rankin didn't ground the ball ingoal uate did though.

@cktiger said:
@supercoach said:

It's funny that the refs will stop play anytime they see a second ball on the field but decided to do diddly squat when a second ball actually had a bearing on the game.

Very good point

Both referees should be dropped based on that game.

Taylor wants us to toughen up. Well maybe we don't have enough of the type of player that is capable of playing like that style of football. I feel things are going to get very ugly.

Cant believe there is no rule that says only one ball can be in play at any time during a match.

Yes, that was an absolutely disgraceful decision but did it cost us the game? No, we were a disorganised group out there and our lack of respect for the ball cost us dearly and that is why we lost. Just because Taylor didn't give the refs a spray at the presser doesn't mean that he won't be taking it up during the week with those who count.

This is an example of just how much Taylor stands up for his players and supposed team Wests Tigers

Rogue ball not only becomes part of the play but effectively decided the game
April 11, 2016 7:24am
Nick WalshawThe Daily Telegraph

2nd ball distracts Rankin. RUGBY league’s newest villain left Hunter Stadium on Sunday night in a backpack. Disappearing as it arrived, in mystery. “Ah, this is it, yeah,’’ NRL ground manager Bob Lanigan told The Daily Telegraph as he tucked an old Steeden into his black bag. “No idea where it came from. Someone in the crowd just hurled it over onto the field.” And you all know what happened from there, right? For while the NRL is no stranger to bizarre circumstance, when was the last time you saw a rogue ball not only tossed into play, or become part of it — but effectively decide a game.

For that’s what happened in Newcastle. The villain emerging only minutes into the second half when Newcastle halfback Trent Hodkinson, his side attacking the Tigers tryline, put up a towering bomb. But where did it come from? Nobody could say. Only that it was there, sitting right on the 20m line as the Knights players chased through. None of which Tigers Jordan Rankin winger knew.
No, he was on his tryline. Positioning himself under said bomb, then jumping to take it when … zing ... another seed went flying through his field of vision. And how that came about, well, there was no mystery at all. Replays showing Korbin Sims booting our villain directly at Rankin as he attempted to catch its mate.

And from there ... well, Rankin dropped the ball (the proper one), the Tigers were force into a drop out and Newcastle scored. Speaking afterwards, Sims said he didn’t seen the villain. Just sort of, err, connected.

Elsewhere, Rankin was banned from commenting on the incident while Tigers coach Jason Taylor, somewhat incredibly, said it had no bearing on the game. But surely it shouldn’t have happened, right? “Oh, it’s horrendous that in a game of NRL that can happen,’’ Taylor continued. “But you’ve got to catch the ball. “There was one ball that had to be caught, and it needed to be caught. That’s it. “Stuff like that is happening at training all the time. Guys are kicking balls and other balls are flying around the place ... it’s not an excuse to drop it.”

Well, we reckon it is. And so does the NRL rule book, which apparently states that should this ever happen, there should be a turnover. Regardless, it never did. But what we can tell you is that just like so many great Knights stories, this one is born out of the Lakes United club. For just as Lakes produced Paul Harragon, Adam Muir and the Kimmorley brothers, so their famed club logo — a muscular, flexing seagull — was imprinted on Sunday’s match winner.

I make JT right. Catch the ball and take it up with the officials then.

Even then, all we had to do was defend our line for one set, and we couldn't do it.

I assume Badger and his ilk are paid to know all the rules including the ones about voluntary tackles attracting a penalty (Barba last week) and the one where Wests Tigers actually get the ball in cases like this one. Lack of such knowledge amounts to incompetence warranting demotion

This excuses and accountability American stuff can only be taken so far and JT has gone too far.
The reality is we are caned in the penalty s nearly 2-1 last 4 weeks and are conceding dubious tries like the eels one and yesterday's.
In tight matches you can't expect to defeat opposition so convincingly that you can overcome poor or biased referring.

Last year after the GF didn't hear Bennett say Hunt should have caught that but rather was going on about how its a poor way to loose by a FG.
If what happened yesterday was okay then we must train to use it on opposite teams in coming weeks.
Anyway JT isn't getting rewarded by referees for being a wipe and even when we have momentum opposition gets piggy back penalties to get them out of trouble.

Back