THE BOARD - Tell them what you think of their performance, now!

Interesting to hear Lee on the Radio this morning....
I've been non decisive on Lee or Pascoe... I see the same sh*t everyone else does....
But I've also been seeing the same over and over (In one form or another) for as long as I care to remember...

Which leaves me with the question - Is it them?
And don't get me wrong, It may well be...
But these problems have been here as long as the club has, And those 2 haven't.

I feel with the change in the way the media runs now, 24hr gossip channels etc.
(Even Sheens mentioned he was surprised how much it had changed in his 10 years away)
That we feel it's worse now than it was, But maybe it's just more scrutinised - By More Journos -
With no physical papers selling and much less to talk about.... The media cycle seems keen to conjure up a catastrophe somewhere every other day.

But what he said this morning, (and I'd have to listen again)
mentioning that those remaining had already been leaking to the media and were looking to flush out alternate sponsors already - Also mentioned somewhere that the majority owners of the Football 'Don't' really regard it in their day to day operations (Or some such)
- This I have felt for some time.... I've been hearing how loaded the Wests Group are for an eternity - But I don't feel that translates to the NRL club? (Maybe it's just me)

While we're all busy here laughing at Haircuts and Hats and rejoice at their removal
- Maybe they're just (Another set of) Fall guys to remove the focus from the real issue.

Interview at the bottom of the Page

DISMISSED WESTS TIGERS CHAIRMAN PROVIDES INSIGHT INTO BOARD UPHEAVAL​

BY ANDREW SLEVISON 3 HOURS AGO
hagipantelis.png

Outgoing Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis has opened up on his dismissal from the club’s board.

News broke on Tuesday afternoon that a clean-out had taken place at Concord which has seen Hagipantelis, CEO Justin Pascoe and the entire board dismissed.

Replacing the pair is former NSW premier Barry O’Farrell, who takes over as interim chairman, and ex-South Sydney chef Shane Richardson, who steps in as caretaker CEO.

Hagipantelis revealed exclusively on SEN 1170 Breakfast why the decision has been made to implement an upheaval of the board and how he received the news following a review by Holman Barnes Group (HBG).

“It was about 2:20pm yesterday afternoon I received a phone call from Danny (Stapleton), who is the chairman of the Balmain Tigers and was a fellow director,” Hagipantelis said.

“He was with Tony Andreacchio, the chair of the Holman Barnes Group, who was also a fellow director. They rang to let me know that the shareholders, all three - Balmain, Holman Barnes and West Magpies - had accepted the recommendations of the review which included the dismissal of the entire board effective immediately, the constitution of an interim board, the appointment of an interim chair and CEO, and that it would be reviewed again in six months’ time.

“And there would be an immediate review and consequential consideration of Justin’s position as well. That’s how it came to my attention.”

Hagipantelis admits he did not quite see this overturn coming, citing a leak to the Daily Telegraph as the reason why it all changed so quickly.

“I was at the Balmain Christmas party dinner on Saturday night and received numerous assurances of support,” he added.

“Well, that lasted 48 hours. Apparently there was a shareholders’ meeting on Monday night and the shareholders adopted the recommendations of the review.
“Now, this review has never been shown to us, we haven’t seen the report, we haven’t seen the recommendations, we were told that we would be given the report and an opportunity to respond to it. So we were misled there.

“What happened was, as I understand it, is the outcome of the shareholders’ meeting was leaked to (Michael) Carayannis, and given these people none of this is a surprise. So they hit the panic stations yesterday with frantic phone calls being made, forcing an outcome much earlier than what they had expected.

“I am told we will never see the report, I’ve got no entitlement to it now given I’m no longer chair of the board, so be it.

“The manner in which it was done by shareholders - these are people who sit as directors of the shareholders but also sit as directors on the Wests Tigers board. So I share a board with these people who sit there having a fiduciary duty to the organisation yet behind the scenes, scurrying in the shadows, putting together plans for the demise of the board.

“How is that not a breach of their fiduciary duty? Why would they not come forward and say there is an obvious conflict with me continuing in this role and I need to step down?
“It boggles belief. It is a world with which I am not familiar.”

Despite the situation, the firm’s principal says he plans to honour the sponsorship agreement between Brydens Lawyers and the Wests Tigers for season 2024.

But he has been upset by how the entire scenario has played out.

“It’s interesting to use the word ‘honour’ in these discussions, but the answer is yes,” he said further.
“I have one year left on my contract, I will honour that. But having said that, I know that they were on the phone yesterday to alternate sponsors ascertaining their preparedness to come on if I withdraw.

“Why not ring me directly and ask me? Why go through the back door? Why go scurrying around in the shadows?

“I could not be more disappointed with the misconduct and the deceit.”

Hagipantelis is now prepared to walk away from the role he has held at the Tigers to focus on his work with Brydens.

“We move on. I get back (to work) today, I’ve got a full day of appointments, conferences and reviews with staff. I will throw myself into that,” he added.

“I’ve said what I needed to say, I’ve put it on the record, and we move on.”

Easy to say almost 25 years later when we become more disconnected to the parent clubs as each year passes. Just imagine now if we had to merge with the Dogs for example. No way would either club not try to stamp their identity on the new club. Supporters wouldn’t allow them not to either.
I’m not saying it 25 years later in isolation.
I’ve been saying it for 25 years fullstop.

Yeah he reiterated the word "honour" as if to make it seem like hes doing the club some sort of favor, never mind the fact theres contracts still in place for next year for both NRL & WNRL
Little man syndrome
They probably went behind his back because the guy has the DT journos in a group chat lol.
Seriously if they went to him and told him , as if he wasn’t going to spend the last few months kicking rocks and bitching to the media about his stuff .
The riccio piece about the podcast boys was basically all but confirmed to have been leaked by Lee . It’s literally the same rhetoric .
IMO HBG did the right thing in snaking him the way they did . The right thing by wests tigers .
It rips the band aid off , blind sides him , he goes into his inevitable bitching phase , it lasts 24 hrs , Richo does a couple of interviews , and he’s yesterday’s hero by Friday .
For once this club was smart , and ruthless in the way they conducted thier business .
He even bitched about how the club tried to sure up finances for this coming season in case he pulled his money .
Like the fact he totally misses the point is hilarious . If the club didn’t think he was going to chuck the toys out of the cot , they would have given him a heads up . But they knew he was petulant . Hence all the skullduggery.

Is anyone else concerned that there's a member of the interim board to be voted for
(Or whatever the wording is) from the Wests Group?

What's stopping the old board members from sending one of the same blokes back in to be a
mouthpiece for the group that were there previously?
The fish is still rotting from the head.

Lee said some things I respect in that interview…. but what was his issue about them approaching other sponsors?

Its called having a Plan B if he threw the toys out of the cot when they dumped him …. people in business have contingencies all the time …

the media has been scare mongering about this scenario for months …

It appears that he is happy to stay on at least another year and see out his contract ….so all good right?

I thought he actually handled himself pretty well.
He didn't make any threats and just ran through a chronology of the events.
Yep. He's not wrong either. Absolute amateur execution by the other directors. If anyone else needs evidence why they need experiened board members, this is it.

Still mad respect for HBG changing. But man.....

You could look at it that way....
Or you could look at it that he's still hold the contract for the major sponsorship of the WT's
and they're out selling it elsewhere...

He was the Major Sponsor before a Board Member, And may well be looking to maintain that?

well… like I said …it’s a contingency plan that seemingly isnt required … so all good…

I don’t really care if he wants to sponsor the team another 20 years provided he ponies up the market value…

Im betting we never see another situation at the club of the major sponsor being the CEO…. this is as probably as amicable as it was ever going to end in that respect

Lee repeatedly said he was only in the position at the behest of the owners, and yet is upset when he is no longer required
Lee (and Pascoe) both said they are accountable. Accountability comes with consequences.
Lee expected the board consult with him re the review. Lee didn’t need to consult with the head of football/head coach re a new recruitment manager (pot calling the kettle black)
Lee complained about the board leak promoting the changes, yet he had a few drinks with Pascoe and two journalists (Chammas and read ??)🤦‍♂️.
Lee suggested there was conflicts of interest being on two boards, but no issues with being major sponsor and chair.
Lee and Pascoe has overseen multiple short term changes of directions/coaches etc and the payout of millions of dollars but told every 6 months we are heading in the right direction
IT WAS TIME

I'm wondering if they just sacked everyone to save face?
- And will re-instate them in some form or another somewhere down the track.
The Board that still owns the WT's is still the same...
Let's hope not. They've said it will be a 7 person board, 4 independent and 1 from each owner. (3)

I would have hoped for more. Like they are all off the board completely. Ownership doesn't need to mean directorship, but at least its created more room for experienced directors.

You'd expect actions like those from Tony A. In his profession, he's never really had to make any hard decisions. So he doesn't understand how to manage that and tries to avoid the conflict. I don't hold it against him, but we'll be better when they're at arms length.

Lee said some things I respect in that interview…. but what was his issue about them approaching other sponsors?

Its called having a Plan B if he threw the toys out of the cot when they dumped him …. people in business have contingencies all the time …

the media has been scare mongering about this scenario for months …

It appears that he is happy to stay on at least another year and see out his contract ….so all good right?

He vented and let’s hope he leaves it now & moves on.

Have zero issues with the club focusing on a Plan B all businesses should be doing that & maybe the club might want to actually exit fully away from Lee as well.

Easy to say almost 25 years later when we become more disconnected to the parent clubs as each year passes. Just imagine now if we had to merge with the Dogs for example. No way would either club not try to stamp their identity on the new club. Supporters wouldn’t allow them not to either.
No matter what anyone says, it could have been worse.

Tigers could have merged with Parramatta and Wests could have disappeared altogether.

Would hate to have anything to do with those 1947 blow ins.

Latest posts

Members online

Back