The pack v the backs...

ElleryHanley

Ice tonight 33/33...100%.

Bateman 30 / 31...97%

Blore (his best game for us by a mile) 24 / 25...96%.

Between them our three backrowers made 87 from 89 tackles. Those are stunning stats.

Stef and Klemmer both 100%.

And what is even more stunning is the centers outside them, and the FB inside, still cracked almost every time.

The backrowers did everything possible defensively, but our centers, and FB simply cannot read when defending or do not want to get hurt.

AJ and AD had about 15 big tackles to make the WHOLE game between them...and came up with 11 misses.

AJ just charges in...every team has worked him out. He is an overlap waiting to happen on every play.

AD just wants no part of it physically. None. I do not know what has happened, but he either is too immobile to get to collisions or he wants absolutely no part of them.

At some point our pack are going to implode as they are doing their jobs.

Those tackle stats seem great, but the bronco forwards offloaded with ease and caused second phase play that resulted in points.
Additionally, the forwards gave away cheap territory to the Broncs with stupid penalties or errors in that first 40.
If you look at the stats overall, you would be excused for thinking this must have been a close game. They are almost even.
The difference is when the infringements occurred and how we reacted to them.
Look we all know our backs are mud. We knew this before the year began. Our forwards need to be better. They have to be disciplined, error free and competitive for us to win a game. Tonight they weren’t great as a unit. They made their tackles, but the Broncs weren’t fazed at all. Their pack won easily.

AJ just charges in...every team has worked him out. He is an overlap waiting to happen on every play.
Glad I’m not the only one that’s noticed…
He’s been getting bigged up a bit this year because he shows some aggression with and without the ball - but his timing, run lines and decision making are all over the place… at both back row or centre.

He’d be best served on the bench as a back row / centre cover - unless we can find a utility that can also play hooker…
Then it’s back to ressies for mine - I just don’t think he’ll get there…

Saw earlier a half on here getting bagged for missing tackles covering across for the gaping holes AJ was leaving him and the winger to deal with.

Those tackle stats seem great, but the bronco forwards offloaded with ease and caused second phase play that resulted in points.
Additionally, the forwards gave away cheap territory to the Broncs with stupid penalties or errors in that first 40.
If you look at the stats overall, you would be excused for thinking this must have been a close game. They are almost even.
The difference is when the infringements occurred and how we reacted to them.
Look we all know our backs are mud. We knew this before the year began. Our forwards need to be better. They have to be disciplined, error free and competitive for us to win a game. Tonight they weren’t great as a unit. They made their tackles, but the Broncs weren’t fazed at all. Their pack won easily.
Good post, and I agree to some extent...

But...our halves are killing our pack's energy.

Our pack holds its own first 20 and gets down opp end...........only for it to end in a dud kick or nothing play. Opp races back to 20 m and takes a quick tap, our bigs turned around chasing after all their hard work.

Opp pack gets down our end first 20.............and their halves get either a repeat set to preserve energy or they score.

I.e. our halves are getting the bigs absolutely no rest. It cannot be overstated just how bad the halves are destroying the whole team.

We desperately need a game manager who controls the pace and gets the pack repeat sets off on D.

Ice tonight 33/33...100%.

Bateman 30 / 31...97%

Blore (his best game for us by a mile) 24 / 25...96%.

Between them our three backrowers made 87 from 89 tackles. Those are stunning stats.

Stef and Klemmer both 100%.

And what is even more stunning is the centers outside them, and the FB inside, still cracked almost every time.

The backrowers did everything possible defensively, but our centers, and FB simply cannot read when defending or do not want to get hurt.

AJ and AD had about 15 big tackles to make the WHOLE game between them...and came up with 11 misses.

AD just wants no part of it physically. None. I do not know what has happened, but he either is too immobile to get to collisions or he wants absolutely no part of them.

At some point our pack are going to implode as they are doing their jobs.

Our forwards are doing a job we are missing few tackles and getting into the 20mtr zone more than our opponents for most games (last night we actually had more ball in the 20mtr zone than the Broncos was something like 32 tackles to 17).

But they also have some significant flaws around their quality.

Against the Broncos 10 offloads in the middle & multiple penalties in the running back zone mixed with a high error count (bateman,ice and pole 5 between them).

The work rate running the ball is low effort in the 1st half then we flip them into the 2nd half. I mentioned this last week. 65% of the forward mtrs are occurring in the 2nd half & we wonder why we don’t win the 1st half but do in the 2nd.

Several times we are missing at marker as well and the wheels go flying. It’s hard to lay blame on the forwards though when all it takes is a team to target AD, AJ or LB in the line and know we will cracks sending us into chase mode instantly.

There is alot killing us atm but yes our forwards have moments of holding us, it’s hard to pin loses on them atm though given the players who we need to execute and convert the good field position or dominance when we get it are failing 95% of the time.

Is it just me or do we look unfit. Our line speed in defence is way off the good teams. I know Ice come in late from the world cup but he looks out of nick big time.

Might be an unpopular opinion but I'm not sold on Papali'i.

He's been a shadow of his former self.
Very ineffective for mine.

He did everything possible to get out of this deal and he's playing exactly like that.

I'm going on record; I'm not a fan...

I know what he's capable of but until he starts doing it consistently in a Tigers jersey - I'm not with it.

Earn ya pay cheque "Ice" - consider it a call out 🤭

He did everything possible to get out of this deal and he's playing exactly like that.

I know what he's capable of but until he starts doing it consistently in a Tigers jersey - I'm not with it.

Hasn't done anything yet and looks disinterested for mine. Needs a big game against his old club next week.

I don’t hate the approach to team building like the NFL build the lines first. Without a quarterback, running back and receivers in the modern game you run last. The biggest issue is pack of accountability Douihei has to be dropped to send a message. Brooks should have been dropped some time ago.

Not discrediting them at all but it is a shit ton easier to defend in the middle than on the edges … you don’t normally have to contend with drawing and passing, fast pacey outside backs with a step / fend

Forwards just hit the ball up and worry about a quick play the ball

To be fair...

His stats are still 80% of what he did at Parra...

He is working...def not Blair again.

But...he is outside Brooks.

Yet to receive a pass into a hole all season / no soft hands pass to him / no half digging into the line.

The fact his stats are still good IMO shows he is trying.

Being outside Brooks is a massive detriment to any backrower.

Last one to receive a decent pass into a hole from Brooks was Lawry.

Our backs are very poor.
Centre options have been weak for years now.

I don't rate Talau and I hope they don't extend him.

Naden is OK.
I've already looked into the off contracts and UK options and there's players we should speak to to improve the team.

Will Kennedy - may be an option as he's off contract and they may prefer Dykes over him. Club needs to ask the question and put forward a competitive offer. If sharks want to keep they'll have to pay up for him and if he wants to stay he may have to play back up like his mate Trindall.

Jack Welsby - a costly recruitment But a super talent. He'd be a big name in the game almost instantly when joining. Looks a star.

Kaeo Weekes - like him at fullback or 6. Solid, hard working and skill full- offer him a starting 13 position and a good salary and it could happen.

Outside backs;

I want Nofo released- bad attitude and bad performances. He's done. Move him on. Talau has never shown anything and he can join in. Dolphins signed Young Bostock and he looks a star- we need to unearth more players like this if we can, like we did with Tupou.

There's options out there - we just have to ask.
Ray Vaega at Manly ?
Jason Saab at Manly ?
Hiroti at Newtown ?
I'm sure there's some great wingers floating around Q cup and Nz.

Centres ? WILL HOPOATE
Anyone that works with him will speak on his professional , we could get two good years out of him and bring some class to our packs.

Halves ?
Get rid of em all..
Weeks, Sezar, Welsby, George
Get the cheque book out

1 Welsby
2 Jnr
3 Naden
4 Hoppa
5 Saab
6 Weekes
7 Williams

You could say he is playing more like a $450k player.
Maybe Parramatta and Brad Arthur knew what they were on about. He puts in but he was a tackle breaking leader in his last two years. Not this year.

Papali'i is still good. We moved him from the right (where he was 2nd rower of the year) to the left, which doesn't help. On top of that, he's gone from playing with Moses, Gutherson and Brown feeding him passes to Brooks, Doueihi and Wakeham.

Statistically he's doing the same as he was at Parra. He's taking tough carries, making his tackles. He's just not making the same flashy plays because the guys he's getting the ball from aren't even half the players that he had at Parra.

Not discrediting them at all but it is a shit ton easier to defend in the middle than on the edges … you don’t normally have to contend with drawing and passing, fast pacey outside backs with a step / fend

Forwards just hit the ball up and worry about a quick play the ball
Lol ‘not discrediting them at all’, then spends the rest of his post doing exactly that.
The forwards are the heroes in every football team. The spine are window dressing.

He's caught Blair-itis in the Concord showers

Lol ‘not discrediting them at all’, then spends the rest of his post doing exactly that.
The forwards are the heroes in every football team. The spine are window dressing.
Nope.

I admire our forwards turning up every week and putting in

Just stating it’s easier to defend in the middle … you don’t see props defending in the centres for a reason

Back