"The" step

steven_tiger

Anyone notice Benji pull out 'the' step (several times) on one jinking run on Monday?

His confidence must be back, because I can't recall him doing it recently. :smiley:

I havnt seen him do it in years but I noticed it in the 2nd half last night.

He seems to have rediscovered his speed as well.

I guess he must be getting more confident, he hasnt had a shoulder injury *touch wood* since 2007.

And he has only missed 1 game this year and that was with the flu, so 18/19 matches this year plus the last 2/3rds of last year, maybe the serious injuries are starting to be a thing of the past! *Needs a pray smilie*

I think he's been running, Innk, but just not stepping.

Hopefully that means he's nice and relaxed and able to play his own game.

Rather he run straight and Fast at the line….He is quite quick....but yes it was good to see the lair...

Yeah i seen it too great to watch ,
and another thing I really like the black n white Jersey with the collar i,m a Balmain boy but i think its great to see the maggies colors ….

@chilbury said:
Yeah i seen it too great to watch ,
and another thing I really like the black n white Jersey with the collar i,m a Balmain boy but i think its great to see the maggies colors ….

I watched the game again tonight and thoguht how good they looked in 'real' footy jerseys, not fancy t-shirts.

I think Benji looked very confident before the game too. There was a close up of him before the kick off and gee he looked relaxed… but in a way that gave me the impresion he was going to have a good game.

I hope he can keep his form up.

Im just happy that he's injury free, he has the talent so the more he plays, the more it will show. He may have been around since 2003, but he is still inexperienced as far as matches go, add to that he didnt play much junior Rugby League so it is taking a while but he is starting to show some composure which we havnt seen from him before.

Geez what happened to Hemmsleys Hairdresser? :laughing:
No way would we be allowed to wrap Benji on the old forum without HH coming in to disagree!!

I feel Marshall is now more relaxed because he doesn't feel he has to do it all, he now has a partner in the halves who can be relied upon to do his share. All the majical things he was once capable of will return to his game because he now has time.

As someone said Benji needs to run at the line.

Only have to look back to his great year in 05, most of his linebreaks or tries wre from running at the line (not across field) and stepping. EG - when he beat sam isemonger at campbelltown in 05 or phil graham in 05 at campbelltown. Two examples of tries he scored running at the line at pace and stepping.

When you run sideways even if you step you just dnt have the momentum or speed to go through.

hope he keeps doing it.

he is fleet footed. the bloke is very very quick. given a little bit of room he will put it all over defenders.
thank god sheens FINALLY got rid of morris. now benji has a proper halves partner he can play his natural game knowing he doe snot have to do all the work.
his combo with moltzen will only get better. gee moltzen is a great talent. great young kid n the fact he and benji live together will help em on the field as well.

I recon there was a buzz about all the players before kickoff and yes it was a great comfort to see the step come into play. He certainly does look to be gaining confidence in taking on the line and IMO his decision making and execution is improving as well ,all in all things are looking pretty good ATM.

@Jazza said:
Geez what happened to Hemmsleys Hairdresser? :laughing:
No way would we be allowed to wrap Benji on the old forum without HH coming in to disagree!!

in his defence i think HH, like everyone else, just wanted marshall to play well and got annoyed at the hyperbole surrounding him whenever he did something remotely good.
i for one, am more than happy he is playing well and being a plus instead of a negative to the team.

as for "the" step, i think its dumb tbh… but as long as he plays well he can do "the robot" for all i care!
how cool would it be for someone to score a try and do the robot?!! do it TNT!!

the thing is when he is playing well he is using the step. how u think the step is dumb is a bit beyond me but everyone to their own i guess. i think when used properly marshall can be devestating. without out it or when has has lacked the chances and ability to use it he has been average. i think its a very improtant part of his game and makes him the dangerous player he is.

Geez it's a nice change to be feelin' the love on this forum. The last time I got the same warm fussy feeling on here was just before the parramatta game in 07 after a 6 game winning streak. Most people even thought Morris was doing OK back then. The forum's mood descended very quickly if I recall correctly.
Don't get carried away, we have a shiteload of work to do before we can even make the finals. All we have done to this point is add some respectability to the season. All it demonstrates is the ridiculous position we had got ourselves into 5 weeks ago when we were running 15th (yep, below cronulla).

I'm a huge advocate for 'the step' as I use it in my own game when I play footy…for those of you who don't understand it, I guess you have to be naturally minded when it comes to footwork in sport, it's all instinct and though it may look odd, it is almost a guaranteed way of stepping past your opponent in front of you - I often question why there are only a select few players in the NRL that use it, but when mastered, it is devastating ala. Benji vs. sharks in 05 - the defender is pretty much forced to 'fall' for the side your head and first step is going but with a sudden twist of direction when landing, you are already going the other way...

IMO, the halfback experiment has damaged Benji's game, because now, 90% of the time he looks for the short kick or the magical pass - when he should be stepping or throwing dummies. When he stepped the other night after wolfman's brain snap, he could have scored a try if he really persisted....but instead opted for the short kick (which he attempted about 2 times prior with the same outcome).

Staff online

Back