Tigers positives

Tigerstigerstigers

Senior coach with remarkable history for developing young talent and we are witnessing it right now with young Bula

Young coach Benji who will be keen to make his mark

Our nursery is the envy of most clubs

Some young talent really standing out

Fantastic die hard supporter base

Fortress home grounds just waiting for hints of success

People saying we aren’t a destination club need to get rid of that mindset. There’s a lot going for us and I for one am going to enjoy watching us evolve this season into next.

You gotta give raps to our defence this season. We let in so many soft tries through the middle last season. Maybe our fitness is better?
My opinion is that our defence this season isn’t that much improved, however teams are scoring less against us.
I put this down to other factors including
1. Possession. For years we have turned the ball over cheaply, often at our end. This has allowed sustained pressure on our line which has resulted in points. Even on the weekend when we got dusted 20 blot, possession was 50/50. Most weeks we have been ahead on this stat.
2. Completion rates. Another stat we have been woeful at for years is getting to our kick. This goes hand in hand with possession but completing your sets gives better field position and adds to fatigue to the opposition as they are completing more tackles. Have a look at our completion rates and tackles made this year. We are competing well in these areas.
3. Field position. By holding the ball, getting to our kicks and forcing the opposition to make more tackles, we are often spending a lot of time in the oppositions half. This is also a new occurrence for us.
4. Discipline. If you add penalties conceded with ruck infringements (tackle restarts), most weeks we come out in front on the stat sheet. This aids possession and field position.

We are strangling teams for good portions of the game due to the above and this is slowing down scoring rates.
This is a positive.

Last edited:
My opinion is that our defence this season isn’t that much improved, however teams are scoring less against us.
1. Possession. For years we have turned the ball over cheaply, often at our end. This has allowed sustained pressure on our line which has resulted in points. Even on the weekend when we got dusted 20 blot, possession was 50/50. Most weeks we have been ahead on this stat.
2. Completion rates. Another stat we have been woeful at for years is getting to our kick. This goes hand in hand with possession but completing your sets gives better field position and adds to fatigue to the opposition as they are completing more tackles. Have a look at our completion rates and tackles made this year. We are competing well in these areas.
3. Field position. By holding the ball, getting to our kicks and forcing the opposition to make more tackles, we are often spending a lot of time in the oppositions half. This is also a new occurrence for us.

We are strangling teams for good portions of the game due to the above and this is slowing down scoring rates.
This is a positive.
Very good analysis I don't disagree with anything you said.

You gotta give raps to our defence this season. We let in so many soft tries through the middle last season. Maybe our fitness is better?
Defence in the first few games or so was terrible, remember douy?
But last few games or so D has been outstanding.

Senior coach with remarkable history for developing young talent and we are witnessing it right now with young Bula

Young coach Benji who will be keen to make his mark

Our nursery is the envy of most clubs

Some young talent really standing out

Fantastic die hard supporter base

Fortress home grounds just waiting for hints of success

People saying we aren’t a destination club need to get rid of that mindset. There’s a lot going for us and I for one am going to enjoy watching us evolve this season into next.

And don't forget the Centre of Excellence 😁

Last edited:
The Tigers are actually competing across most statistical categories quite well. It’s a far more superior team this year. The issue is clear halves and outside backs. We have too much depth in the forwards. Need to trade out a few for outside backs.

For the first time in quite a few years I think we're on the way up.

How long has it been since we've unearthed a genuine talent like Jahream Bula? Love him or hate him, Tim Sheens has a long track record of finding talent like him and by all accounts we should see a few more first graders coming through the ranks in the next few years.

Our forward pack are killing it and we've got the best hooker since Robbie.

We're obviously lacking a bit of creativity at 6 and 7 this season but as a club we're doing a lot better than our position on the ladder suggests.

All we need is an upgrade at winger, centre and a couple of halves. Our pack is awesome, fullback is a future star and we've got a good young centre and winger in To'a and Tupou.

We're a couple of pieces away from being a very good team. Closer than we've been for years.

Desperation, effort plays, scramble defence, completion rate, go forward, junior talent, recruits excelling, squad cohesion, staying in games, resilience on the scoreboard, slow, incremental improvements, etc.

Plenty to like about this season so far.

I haven't watched many tigers games the last few years but have watched a few this year and while we tend to shit the bed when we're in the oppositions 20, we certainly seem to be putting in defensively.
We don't have trouble getting down the field either.
Just need a bit of polish in our end of sets and we're a top 8 side.
If we recruit new players in our underperforming positions, we're pushing top 4.
First time in 10 years I've been hopeful.

4. Discipline. If you add penalties conceded with ruck infringements (tackle restarts), most weeks we come out in front on the stat sheet. This aids possession and field position.

This is a positive.
All very valid points. (y)

Love him or hate him, Tim Sheens has a long track record of finding talent like him and by all accounts we should see a few more first graders coming through the ranks in the next few years.
This is why he would have been far better suited as Director of Football…the position we sought him out for.
He is not doing so good as head coach.

Incremental improvements are nice but in my opinion the improvement in performance this year is less than the improvement of the roster compared to last year suggests it should be.

As for the bullet points of the positives by the OP, I'm not as thrilled by the coaching staff. And most the other points have always been true.

Back