Time off

mtd

Anyone else notice that the ref called time off instantly in the last 10 minutes with:
1\. The drop out
2\. The kick off
3\. The scrum

I have no problem if its consistent, but it's not. It could have cost us the game.

the one for the drop out was ridiculous he called time off straight away even though you are allowed 45 seconds to restart before time can be blown off

The dropout was because Ellis threw the ball away.

He hold sthe ball we have 45 seconds

There needs to be some sort of consistency.

I heard (I think it was on the Sunday Roast) that the NRL are looking at ways to make games longer to fit in more ads, to me the most logical way is to do what the AFL does and stop the clock as soon as the ball goes out of play or when a try is scored, etc.

The NRL would get what they want, and there will be no more inconsistencies in the time off calls.

Hollywood 2 aka Bill Harrigan explained this the other day on the radio - refs will only call time off towards the end of the game if the scores are close - as for the rules? it appears who cares except if its a close game!!!

@smeghead said:
The dropout was because Ellis threw the ball away.

He hold sthe ball we have 45 seconds

correct, I yelled straight away when he threw it. stupid thing to do. Hold it and time stays on.

there are two sides to time off ….ellis tosses the ball..the ref blows time off...and our side gets afew more moments to regroup... it can also be a momentum killer to the attacking side .....for example .. a team is under the pump and the opposition get a penalty.. so the captain walks up to ask what it was for ...he knows what its for .....it just gives you 30 or so seconds to regroup.....

They were holding the ball before the drop out and Andrew Leeds ran onto the field and yelled at them to throw the ball away :laughing:

its irrelevent that he "threw" the ball away, any team has 45 seconds to take their dropout, if they go past that, time will be called off, if they are deemed deliberatly time wasting a penalty will be awarded, it was a bad call by hayne and another case of referees not handling a pressure situation

@anderson silva said:
its irrelevent that he "threw" the ball away, any team has 45 seconds to take their dropout, if they go past that, time will be called off, if they are deemed deliberatly time wasting a penalty will be awarded, it was a bad call by hayne and another case of referees not handling a pressure situation

It is totally relevent - the rule has always been if you throw the ball away, the ref will call time out.

@Yossarian said:
@anderson silva said:

It is totally relevent - the rule has always been if you throw the ball away, the ref will call time out.

so u can stand there and hold it for 45 seconds without time being blown off but if you drop the ball its time off?

Yes.

The players can slowly fan out to their positions and the kicker often chats to their other playmakers. It happens all the time

@anderson silva said:
@Yossarian said:
@anderson silva said:

so u can stand there and hold it for 45 seconds without time being blown off but if you drop the ball its time off?

I don't know where you get this 45 second cut throat limit from. As long as you don't appear to be deliberately wasting time they will give you a reasonable amount of time to take the drop out. If you are judged to wasting time by a) throwing the ball away or b) making no effort to get on with the game, the referees will call time out. I seriously can't remember the last time anyone got penalised for time wasting. I don't think even Bill Harrigan pulled that one out.

Back