Time to Face *the enemy*

Golden

well for me anyway my most hated team not just because of 89 but because of a hell of alot of other games they beat us in that we were the better team in.

this is the enemy we haven't beaten them down there since 05

forget about the top 8 if we win this game thats worth just as much as a top 8 spot for me
lets smash the scum of the NRL!

Yeah there seems to be a mutual hatred between the two sides.

Personally, I don't mind the Raiders. I lived there for the past 5 years and has quite a lot to do with them over that time.

I went to Canberra Stadium regularly to watch them and cheer them on.

However that's a different story when they are playing us. :smiling_imp:

@Golden said:

we beat them there 22-16 in 2007

beau ryan's debut if i remember correctly

second coldest game of football ive ever watched (first being the game in the snow). wind chill factor had the temp down to -3.

@alex said:
@Golden said:

we beat them there 22-16 in 2007

beau ryan's debut if i remember correctly

second coldest game of football ive ever watched (first being the game in the snow). wind chill factor had the temp down to -3.

Yep I remember that game They attacked our line a few sets in a row but we kept them out and defended very well that game.

I hate the team and that dump.

Last year got hit with hail to boot during the NYC game

@smeghead said:
I hate the team and that dump.

Last year got hit with hail to boot during the NYC game

Yeah that was a shocker…

Not to mention first grade were up 24-10 at half time and lost 30-24 :unamused:

I'm no fan of the village. Lived there for 18 months which was painful and I don't care how good the roads and facilities are down there. It's painfully cold in winter and you're almost 2 hours from the nearest beach in summer.

The Tigers seem to go ok down there though, even when we have lost it hasn't been by much. I think the Tigers can get the points on Sunday if we keep Campese quiet. He's a very hot and cold player so hopefully he's cold this week.

@Golden said:
forgot about 07 Farah played halfback that game didnt he?

Yes, from memory I think it was the first time he was moved to halfback.

I have bad memorys from down in Canberra too, but i like the Raids….just not this week.

2004 i went with mates (Raids supporters). By Half Time i couldnt feel my fingers but quick "MacGyver" like thinking, i put my fingers in a hot bucket of chips and revived them.Then on Full time, we score to win the match right in front of me.....untill it was called a forward pass!!!! Which it wasnt. I then went out on the town with a couple of Raiders players who couldnt believe the refs call either.

@Hit or Miss said:
I have bad memorys from down in Canberra too, but i like the Raids….just not this week.

2004 i went with mates (Raids supporters). By Half Time i couldnt feel my fingers but quick "MacGyver" like thinking, i put my fingers in a hot bucket of chips and revived them.Then on Full time, we score to win the match right in front of me.....untill it was called a forward pass!!!! Which it wasnt. I then went out on the town with a couple of Raiders players who couldnt believe the refs call either.

That was '03 mate. I was on telly jumping around like crazy thinking we'd won. Then reality sinks in. :laughing: I got to go in the sheds after the game. The boys were shattered. Escpecially Covell, who had a shocker with the boot.

In '04 we get beaten 36-24 or something, which wasn't too bad considering we couldn't score any points at that time!

So just to re-cap

00 - Snowed. Ahead all game before Field gets kick charged down and we lose.
03 - Denied win on the siren by dud forward pass call (even Raiders coach said it was a bad decision)
04 - Shayne Hayne goes crazy and canes us 11-2 (or something similar) in the penalties
05 - Come from 0-14 at half time to win.
06 - Lose in Golden Point after field goal attempt charged down by most offside player in RL history
07 - Win again
08 - Carving them up at halftime, Taps almost scores 4 in the 1st half before getting injured, look set for 50 point win before failing to score after half time and losing.

@steven_tiger said:
@Hit or Miss said:

That was '03 mate. I was on telly jumping around like crazy thinking we'd won. Then reality sinks in. :laughing: I got to go in the sheds after the game. The boys were shattered. Escpecially Covell, who had a shocker with the boot.

In '04 we get beaten 36-24 or something, which wasn't too bad considering we couldn't score any points at that time!

HA HA, i knew it was around then. Just couldnt think of the year. Yeah, i know the crazy jumping you talk of, then the shattering realisation that its no try. From Memory that night, Raiders got a 16 point lead on us early or there abouts. I think Schicky got Canberra home with alot of Side Line conversions.

@Yossarian said:
So just to re-cap

00 - Snowed. Ahead all game before Field gets kick charged down and we lose.
03 - Denied win on the siren by dud forward pass call (even Raiders coach said it was a bad decision)
04 - Shayne Hayne goes crazy and canes us 11-2 (or something similar) in the penalties
05 - Come from 0-14 at half time to win.
06 - Lose in Golden Point after field goal attempt charged down by most offside player in RL history
07 - Win again
08 - Carving them up at halftime, Taps almost scores 4 in the 1st half before getting injured, look set for 50 point win before failing to score after half time and losing.

I was going to say that I really don't have anything against the Raiders (even despite the 1989 grand final). Having read that list, though, I may just have to change my tune!

Funny how we can still call the Raiders 'the enemy' while trotting out Supercoach Sheens- the man behind the Tigers 89 downfall.
\
\
Tigers biggest enemy that day was themselves- that's why it's so hard to watch, even now, 20 years on.

@Chadman's Ghost said:
Funny how we can still call the Raiders 'the enemy' while trotting out Supercoach Sheens- the man behind the Tigers 89 downfall.
\
\
Tigers biggest enemy that day was themselves- that's why it's so hard to watch, even now, 20 years on.

I'd say their biggest enemy was Bill Harrigan.

Members online

Back