Trade/Transfer Window

Aesopian

NFL style system would be my preferred way to go. In season trade window + off season transfer window for out of contract players.
Of course this would require player contracts and salary figures to be transparent.
At the least us fans would be aware of a clubs true cap situation and whether they have the space to genuinely sign certain players...

They should just bring the June 30 deadline And contracts can’t be broken, players can’t play for another club if they want to leave and clubs still have player on book if they move them on.
June 30 meant nothing could be signed so even if x player and club made commitment at start of year it means jack as nothing signed .
Other than that clubs trying to move players and players trying to move on mid contract is causing all the dramas.
We would then see more realistic contracts instead of these 4/5 years which screw clubs.
Look at WT situation would mbye and Reynolds have been sign3d to 4 year contracts with club knowing they were stuck with them for 4 years no matter what

@Geo said in [Trade/Transfer Window](/post/1100265) said:
How would the gossip mongers/media ply their trade..

In the sewers from whence they came...

Can't stop the gossip, nor would I want it stopped. Too entertaining. A bit of accountability on the journo side of things would be a sight for sore eyes

I’m not sure where the discussions are at. ? I would like to see some uniformity . I don’t like the idea of players changing clubs mid year. It leaves an opportunity for corruption. If a player wants to transfer while under contract then a percentile loading say per month of outstanding term, should be paid by the club buying out the contract. Say 45%. Therefore in the case of JAC, Tigers would need to pay a loading of 45% of 20 & 21 contract value. Gets rid of all the horse trading and allows players and clubs more certainty.

A trade window would make too much sense. News Corp in particular would be flustered though 9/10 of their yearly NRL content would be condensed into a 4-6 period.

@Anon-lurker said in [Trade/Transfer Window](/post/1100270) said:
They should just bring the June 30 deadline And contracts can’t be broken, players can’t play for another club if they want to leave and clubs still have player on book if they move them on.
June 30 meant nothing could be signed so even if x player and club made commitment at start of year it means jack as nothing signed .
Other than that clubs trying to move players and players trying to move on mid contract is causing all the dramas.
We would then see more realistic contracts instead of these 4/5 years which screw clubs.
Look at WT situation would mbye and Reynolds have been sign3d to 4 year contracts with club knowing they were stuck with them for 4 years no matter what

IMO clubs and players(especially) don't utilize June 30 well enough. Good opportunity for young players who've had a cracking start to upgrade their salary from a club who's had a rough start. Also a good opportunity for clubs to offload ageing players who are still in decent form but aren't part of the long term plan, whilst having an eye on players to target in the off season.
In the end the players are just commodities to the clubs and are treated as such.

@twentyforty said in [Trade/Transfer Window](/post/1100277) said:
I’m not sure where the discussions are at. ? I would like to see some uniformity . I don’t like the idea of players changing clubs mid year. It leaves an opportunity for corruption. If a player wants to transfer while under contract then a percentile loading say per month of outstanding term, should be paid by the club buying out the contract. Say 45%. Therefore in the case of JAC, Tigers would need to pay a loading of 45% of 20 & 21 contract value. Gets rid of all the horse trading and allows players and clubs more certainty.

That's why it needs to be a trade only(player for player or 2 for 1 deals) period during the season and save player transfers for the silly season...
Scrap June 30 transfers as there's currently no benefit for the clubs losing a player mid season.

@BalmainJnr said in [Trade/Transfer Window](/post/1100284) said:
A trade window would make too much sense. News Corp in particular would be flustered though 9/10 of their yearly NRL content would be condensed into a 4-6 period.

That's the big conundrum. They definitely hold the game back but put up most of the funds to keep it going.
I reckon the buildup would be much the same but a lot more transparent. And we'd at least get to know which journo's are more credible with their sources compared to others

Back