Administrator
Staff member
Forum Leader
honestly, which player would you want as fullback

Gallant: small, fast, good RL brain, reliable, a junior
Tuqiri: big, fast, experience, massive attacking weapon

No brainer for me…

Lote easily...

Not that i dont like Gallant, but Lote is world class...

Gallant and use the left over money to sign Ray Cashmere.

Tuqiri will be 31 next year, and appears to only want a 1 year deal.

Both if I could have them. I don't know what Tuqiri plays like any more

Will Tuqiri be 31? I thought he was only going to be 30.

OK I checked on Wikipedia, he'll be 31, he just hasn't had his 30th birthday this year yet. 23/9/

Tuqiri easy
World Class player and can probably tackle.

think hes better suited as a winger or centre though

Lote if he stays for 2 or 3 years
if not i rather gallant…

why sign a player for one year? how do u build a club on that?

@T-REXX said:
if not i rather gallant…

Yeah spot on…

But this is why I'd using Lote on the wing ahead of Ryan...

Gallant is a good little player but not, and never will be, a champion. Lote is a champion albeit at the tail end of his career.

That being said - and as much the idea of Lote at the Tigers appeals to me - given issues like salary cap restraints, I would vote against signing him but not so that we can sign Ray Cashmere :wink:

@T-REXX said:
if not i rather gallant…

Obviously, if you signed Tuquiri for a year, you wouldn't be trying to build a club on that signing. You'd be saying that you've already built a very good side and you're hoping that a truly elite player like Tuquiri can help that team step up and make a deep run into the playoffs.

Won't ever be a question to answer, 'cause Lote will be seeking big $$$ overseas.

It's a very big IF, but IF the Tigers did snare Lote, I'd have no complaints if he played fullback over Gallant. Lote can certainly jump and take a bomb, plus with his size and pace, he would put the Tigers on the front foot from kick returns and could also act as an extra forward like Tuiaki. I don't think he's as quick off the mark as Gallant, but he still has enough pace to handle himself at the back without any fuss.

It,s obviously a slow news day ..this comparison is ridiculious Gallant being a good back up a guy the club should have around ..Lote a world class player that has MASS appeal = BUMS on seats a no brainer the club is in a win /win situation it,s all about $$.

If b some miracle we get a chance to sign Lote I'd still rather choose Gallant. Sure Lote is world class, sure Lote will put bums on seats but I can't see Lote seeing out any contract with the Wests Tigers. He is use to being in a winning culture. From the Broncos to the Waratahs and being bluntly honest, we are club based on being battlers, always have been always will. That's just a simple fact of life for us Wests Tigers supporters cause we'll never be NRL high flyers or the "Man U" of the NRL. I just don't think Lote will be use to our battlers culture. I just foresee turmoil with Lote in the future and for that reason I'd rather choose Shannon Gallant. Like Chilbury said earlier, I think given some time, Gallant will be something special.

To be honest i was a bit surprised the club saying he would be viewed as a N°1, If we can get them enough ball I would much prefer to see Tuqiri in the centres. Although Ayshford has gone a long way to making the vacant spot his…

I`d also play Tuquiri on the wing, but I reckon it would damage his ego by playing him on the wing for us, therefore i`d much prefer the bloke who plays with his heart on his sleeve every time he takes the field in a Wests Tigers jersey and that man is Shannon Gallant.
I`d love Tuquiri playing for us if he`s happy to play on the wing or possibly in the centres, but if not I wouldn`t worry about him !!!

Back