Understanding Team Selection

clokan

The farcical situation of Sutton & Reynolds having to "face off" against each other for origin selection leaves me with some doubt over Fulton and Daley's capacity to manage a football team.

Surely a decision could be made based on their current form, utility value and ability under pressure. These players are not twins so one of them will fit in with the game plan better than the other, thats assuming that Daley has a game plan. I have no idea how Fulton hasn't been made accountable for the poor team selection over the last 5 years, I'm sure Buhrer was Fulton's doing.

Good luck NSW, you will need it

The theatrics that the NSW selectors have carried on with over the years when choosing the side is downright embarrassing! QLD, on the other hand, just pick a stable team of deserving players, without all the secrecy and fanfare and always win.

At least there wasnt much of this rubbish in Gus's days..
The whole NSW unit needs to harden the fudge up.. Players, coach, the whole bl00dy lot otherwise it will be 8 nothing.
I personally dont think we have the best coach or the coaching staff.. The player selection looks more like a case of who you know rather how your form..
Being from NSW and living in QLD around SOO time is the toughest. Every man and his dog tells me how shocking we are

I don't understand why NSW always have to play 16v17\. Reynolds may not even get on the field, so you may as well have Sutton at least he can cover 2nd row if needed.

Only use of Reynolds is if they want to move Robbie Farah in to the halves??? I don't get it.

@WestsSupporter said:
I don't understand why NSW always have to play 16v17\. Reynolds may not even get on the field, so you may as well have Sutton at least he can cover 2nd row if needed.

Only use of Reynolds is if they want to move Robbie Farah in to the halves??? I don't get it.

didnt qld name a utility i thought?

The difference is their utility is a forward. Can play in the centers, wing and second row. That is if we are talking about Chris McQueen.

@WestsSupporter said:
The difference is their utility is a forward. Can play in the centers, wing and second row. That is if we are talking about Chris McQueen.

NSW also have two additional utilities already in Bird and Lewis who cover more positions than McQueen. I reckon Woods or Grant would of been a better option

@Love the WestsTigers said:
At least there wasnt much of this rubbish in Gus's days..
The whole NSW unit needs to harden the fudge up.. Players, coach, the whole bl00dy lot otherwise **it will be 8 nothing.**
I personally dont think we have the best coach or the coaching staff.. The player selection looks more like a case of who you know rather how your form..
Being from NSW and living in QLD around SOO time is the toughest. Every man and his dog tells me how shocking we are

I hate it when people say 8/7 - 0 . Origin didn't start in 2006.

Don't forget that Queensland have had the luxury of having most the Australian team for 6 years

If they lost 2 or 3 series in a row they would be chopping and changing too…

much would've preferred to see woods or grant as 17th man however

@WestsSupporter said:

DCE? sorry, i dont know why i said utility. I meant, a back on the bench.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/state-of-origin/retired-forward-petero-civoniceva-back-in-queensland-state-of-origin-training-on-friday/story-fn31yxah-1226654778002#.UailqEAwcwA

Read the article if you want, then check comment 2\. Sums up my thoughts and most likely many others' perfectly.

They picked Reynolds solely to cover if Robbie gets hurt

Geez ,they are almost making it sound like Robbie is injury prone FFS

Hope you blokes make Laurie Daley Origin coach for life

Have to agree Daley is a clown - and we should have had Grant and Woods in the original squad.
Personally don't think Fifita and Ferguson deserve to be there as Fifita goes missing and Ferguson is prone to make stupid errors.
Don't even start me on Reynolds selection. :crazy
All that being said Daley will go down as a hero after NSW thrash the toads in three straight games.
Even the referees won't be able to save them this year.

The team did its job. :slight_smile: Reynolds I don't think got on but he was selected for a reason.

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

Surely sutton's ability to play I'm the 2nd row would have paid dividend tonight? I thought we lost steam in the forwards in the 2nd half (not to mention the several errors by the backs though).

@scott2478 said:
Surely sutton's ability to play I'm the 2nd row would have paid dividend tonight? I thought we lost steam in the forwards in the 2nd half (not to mention the several errors by the backs though).

I agree. Sutton close to the line with his speed, size and footwork would have been handy; especially with how affective Luke Lewis and Watmough were.

In saying that, we won. And that's all that matters. Hahaha.

With Farah in doubt for game 2, if he does make it back I think we will need Josh Reynolds on the bench again. If he goes 3 weeks without playing a game it is a massive risk to put all our eggs in the one basket of him playing the full 80 in game 2\. Considering 5 of our 6 starting forwards can play 80 at origin level, and we won pretty comfortably with 16 men in game 1, I think you take the safe option with Reynolds. If Farah cops another headbutt from the grub 10 minutes into game 2 and can't play on, and we have dropped Reynolds we will be stuffed. Lewis could slot into hooker for a 10 minute stint, but he probably isn't creative enough to play there for over and hour at origin level.

Members online

Back