Unemployed Centres

Paris_Cobbs

We have two great young centres in our team. Lawry is generally regarded as a marquee player of the future, and Ayshford shows speed and a good football brain. But neither of them runs 50 metres a game because they hardly ever get the ball.

Two questions for the minds on the forum - what is it about our attacking 'structure' that means that our centres get so little ball?
- And what can be done about it?

@Paris Cobbs said:
We have two great young centres in our team. Lawry is generally regarded as a marquee player of the future, and Ayshford shows speed and a good football brain. But neither of them runs 50 metres a game because they hardly ever get the ball.

Two questions for the minds on the forum - what is it about our attacking 'structure' that means that our centres get so little ball?
- And what can be done about it?

They are primarily used as backline links to our wingers as we sweep to the sidelines more than any other team with the ball in hand. If there was a stat for assisting the winger make metres etc then they would be up there believe me. :laughing:

This comment is supported by the fact that Lawrence scores most of his tries when he is on the wing.

It's been disappointing to see Lawrence starved of the ball, as well as Ayshford to a lesser extent. Tuiaki is having a field day in just about every match this season but our fastest player, Lawrence, has hardly been put into a gap this season, and it's not right when you consider how good Lawrence is. I can't help but think how many tries he may have this season if he was getting the amount of ball Jennings is getting at the Panthers.

I hope the Tigers attacking structure changes next season because we have the makings of an awesome backline with the addition of Taumata and the possibility of Tupou/Daniela on one wing to replace Ryan.

I guess the other option is Brown or Daniela in the centres, Brown has good size but I haven't seen him in the clear to judge how quick he is. Daniela on the other hand is quick, but I think he might struggle in defence at times. Either way, I hope the Tigers centres get some decent ball before this season is finished.

Well obviously earlier in the season Morris was our 5/8 and we know he couldnt pass.

I think also it could be to do with Farah and us going up the middle at times, even more so with Benji at 7 instead of 6.

Also Lawry seems like a pretty quiet natured guy, maybe he doesnt call out for the ball much.

I also think Lawrence needs to look for the ball more, I know some will say he is a centre, he shouldnt have to do that, but even though he is big, he has the speed to beat the forwards just like Jennings.

Its probably got a fair bit to do with Morris in the halves for a fair share of the last few years, the kicking early in the tackle count let alone just after a line-break is made, attacking the centre 3rd with Farah and the blokes on the fringe getting in the way. Its deffinately a problem though as there is talent out there.

I also think Lawry is still not 100% right after his injury.. Also, And i realise this is a result of how he is getting the ball, But he seems to be used or working as a battering ram these days.. He really get's hammered and that does worry me because as we all know he's a gun and can run through gaps and has the size and power, But he more then often these days seems to get smashed getting poor hospital balls.. His defence of course has improved in leaps and bounds and would/ should be one of the first picked, But you do worry long term.. he's not getting balls where he has a bit of room to move.. Lucky he's big and strong! This is also eveident as he does cough up the odd ball… and thats cause he's getting the ball in traffic and everyone now targets him... Gonna Be very Interesting to see what Happens next year.. On this point, You can argue he'd be great out on the wing in our team ? Hmmm.. But He's a class centre so we just need to work around this in team structure..

If Sheens isn't going to run plays with Lawrence as his primary weapon he should simply swap Ryan and Lawrence around. Ryan gets more ball than Lawrence and that's laughable. Also Ryan is a more effective centre than Lawrence and might actually look half decent as a centre. The amount of times I've seen Ryan kick it through or come inside when a person like Lawrence would take them on down the flank and probably beat them would indicate to me it would be worth a shot.

We play to our wingers more than our centres and as such wing is a more critical position for us, our better attacking players should be there. Ryan isn't a bad defender either as far as tackling technique is concerned. Also Lawrence would be more useful on kick returns than Ryan.

The amount of tackles Chris is forced to make coupled with the way he is used in attack suggests he will end up in the forwards sooner rather than later…which is my opinion is a waste.

One thing I have noticed about Chris of late is that he is rarely leading a chase, whether it be in attack or defence. He is supposed to be one of our quicker players, but for some reason he does not seem to get involved. I am not sure what the problem is, but I would like to see him chase harder more often.

I've noticed too , that he has that tendancy to be a bit lazy in , say , cover defence.
If there is a break he'll drop off the chase.

@Centaur said:
The amount of tackles Chris is forced to make coupled with the way he is used in attack suggests he will end up in the forwards sooner rather than later…which is my opinion is a waste.

One thing I have noticed about Chris of late is that he is rarely leading a chase, whether it be in attack or defence. He is supposed to be one of our quicker players, but for some reason he does not seem to get involved. I am not sure what the problem is, but I would like to see him chase harder more often.

Lawrence has been carrying hamstring and anckle injuries for about 6 weeks now….may have something to do with his supposed lack of involvement...

Geez you guys don't want much do you.... the right side has produced 22 tries (Lawry 6\. Tui 16) and someone blames Morris.... :unamused: Would Tui be the leading try scorer if Lawrence had not been his wingman so to speak....

I don't know many how times this year Benji Marshall has hit Lawrence with his bullet no look pass where Lawry was in space yet the ball has bounced of his shoulder been behind him or deliverd at the wrong time.....soft hands Benji...

Bug he as scored 2 of his 6 tries from a traditional wing position the others from centre all teams do swap winger/centre during games...it's not something new...

So hang on, doesn't this just make them "unmotivated", "uninvolved","lazy" and a "liability". A centre carrying an injury for six weeks and having a quiet time? Surely not!

Our centres haven't received any quality ball for the entire season…you need halves to create movement and direction,not run from touch line to touch line... :imp:

@Allan Towle said:
Its probably got a fair bit to do with Morris in the halves for a fair share of the last few years, the kicking early in the tackle count let alone just after a line-break is made, attacking the centre 3rd with Farah and the blokes on the fringe getting in the way. Its deffinately a problem though as there is talent out there.

Yeah ofcourse. Nevermind the fact that up until last year when Morris being a constant in the halves every week ended, so to did Lawrence's consistent try scoring and metre making. I know you all need a scapegoat but some of the crap Morris gets thrown at him is over the top.

@Don Brodga said:
@Allan Towle said:

Yeah ofcourse. Nevermind the fact that up until last year when Morris being a constant in the halves every week ended, so to did Lawrence's consistent try scoring and metre making. I know you all need a scapegoat but some of the crap Morris gets thrown at him is over the top.

sorry i disagree morris leaving for cronulla explains why he is not our half and the last three weeks also

Lawrence got a lot more ball from Morris than he does from marshall….benji either runs across field - then back again....or kicks early.
That said, he had to work hard to find a gap cause whenever an overlap was created it'd be suddenly slaughtered by J-Mo

whenever an overlap was created it'd be suddenly slaughtered by J-Mo

I'm really going to miss Morris, if only for his "Show & not go's" they were awesome.

@Geo. said:
@Centaur said:

Lawrence has been carrying hamstring and anckle injuries for about 6 weeks now….may have something to do with his supposed lack of involvement...

Geez you guys don't want much do you.... the right side has produced 22 tries (Lawry 6\. Tui 16) and someone blames Morris.... :unamused: Would Tui be the leading try scorer if Lawrence had not been his wingman so to speak....

I don't know many how times this year Benji Marshall has hit Lawrence with his bullet no look pass where Lawry was in space yet the ball has bounced of his shoulder been behind him or deliverd at the wrong time.....soft hands Benji...

Bug he as scored 2 of his 6 tries from a traditional wing position the others from centre all teams do swap winger/centre during games...it's not something new...

I would be surprised if Lawrence was invovled in many more than 50% of Tuiaki's tries, considering his extended time-off with injury. That being said, I do agree that Lawrence has done some brilliant catch and pass this year. Also just by nature Lawrence seems to be attracking defenders due to his reputation.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with Lawrence's form. I just think he could be better utilised.

Back