Use of the Bench

I wasn't 100% sold on the bench rotation either, but Tyran Wishart, a halfback in his first NRL game, lasted 78 minutes at dummy half for the Storm. At some point it comes down to the players.
.. or how you work to expose them. Hughes exposed Simpkin and Tuilagi, how many times did Stefano run straight at Wishart? How many times did Luch try to get a quick ptb after taking Meaney on? How many times did we create space for Gildart to burn Kaufusi on his outside?

There were mismatches all across the park, Melb exposed them, we didn't. We got Maumalo out leaping Smith though which was very well executed.

I wasn't 100% sold on the bench rotation either, but Tyran Wishart, a halfback in his first NRL game, lasted 78 minutes at dummy half for the Storm. At some point it comes down to the players.

Wishart is a hooker

This is the observation I see all the time at other clubs. Debutants actually being first grade ready. Ours just aren’t.

listen to Hughes' interview, he specifically mentions that they were sliding too hard. Sliding is fine but everyone needs to slide together.
Didn't have to listen, as it was plain as day that there was going to be a huge gap inside Musgrove for him to run through if he could get there.

This is a massive error.

I'm lost for words at the logic behind.

LL and Kelma played well.

We played with a 2 man bench!?
Madge wanted to even things out for the Storm when they went down to 15 players 😂

I'm sure every coach has his own plan for the use of the bench but we really missed the trick here.

Simpkin was never going to be able to play full 80, Tuilagi was never going to be able to defend strongly for 80. They've had less than half a dozen games.

Garner and Seyfarth weren't that good when they came on but putting them in the 70th minute with the pressure on isn't fair to them.

Hughes try was due to Simpkin not closing the gap quickly, the Hughes break for Coates try for fatigue from Tuilagi.

Get better, Madge.

You summed it up very well.

Garner came on with 10mins to go offers no value at all and we had a bench rotation not used for the 1st game of the season.

Watched the game twice now and it's clear as day Simpkin & Kelma should've come off in the 1st half. The Storm played them hard from 48mins onwards and broke us down.

Both started getting gassed around the 30-33min mark then hit again around 50mins. They needed longer on the bench to get fresh & Storm hit them hard. The onflow impact of this is it also meant Brooks had to make 29 tackles in the game (Joe was the only one with more at 30).

Storm were smarter with their tactics.

Madge should've had Simpkin off at 30mins for Peach and Garner on for Kelma.
This would then allow Simpkin & Kelma to have a 2nd stint last 15-20mins with a freshen up break of 40mins+. Who knows if that would've changed the scoreboard but we need to be smarter.

Garner came on with 10mins to go offers no value at all and we had a bench rotation not used for the 1st game of the season.

Watched the game twice now and it's clear as day Simpkin & Kelma should've come off in the 1st half. The Storm played them hard from 48mins onwards and broke us down.

Both started getting gassed around the 30-33min mark then hit again around 50mins. They needed longer on the bench to get fresh & Storm hit them hard. The onflow impact of this is it also meant Brooks had to make 29 tackles in the game (Joe was the only one with more at 30).

This would then allow Simpkin & Kelma to have a 2nd stint last 15-20mins with a freshen up break of 40mins+. Who knows if that would've changed the scoreboard but we need to be smarter.
From NRL.com stats, Twal only played 47 mins and Peachey soaked up his absence with 56 mins on the field.
We didn't bring on a forward to replace Twal who is easily our best defensive unit out there.
No wonder if all fell to bits once Twal didn't return.

Glad someone agrees.

Hughes was the difference, but he was given the right instructions and coaching. Melbourne's coaching staff knew the weaknesses. I said so in the live game thread at 50 minute period. Whenever Kelma made a tackle, he was called off twice for being too deep at marker and he was again.

It really appeared to me that Madge was trying to match Bellamy’s rotation. Might be wrong but he seemed to make interchanges within minutes of Storm.

We had the cattle to win that game, they were used terribly. I know Garner might be underdone but he should have come on for Kelma in the middle 40 and Peachey used to spell Simpkin for middle 40.

It flat-out made no sense to have wasted our interchange advantage. Dumb.

All the stupid comments about our 4th bench player only playing 10 minutes. With limited interchange this is standard.

Storm onky had 15 players available or Morea only played 16 mins

Penriths 4th bench player had 14 mins
Manlys 4th bench player 8 mins
Sharks 12
Brisbane 8
Souths 22
Knights 5
Etc etc

Unless theis is injuries your 4th player gets limited minutes because you only have 8 interchanges. You need to save 1 in case of late injuries

You props take up 4, your 3rd bench player takes up 2 but usally with some kind of rotation, then ur 4th player has to come on and not go off so you can save 1.

All the stupid comments about our 4th bench player only playing 10 minutes. With limited interchange this is standard.

Storm onky had 15 players available or Morea only played 16 mins

Penriths 4th bench player had 14 mins
Manlys 4th bench player 8 mins
Sharks 12
Brisbane 8
Souths 22
Knights 5
Etc etc

Unless theis is injuries your 4th player gets limited minutes because you only have 8 interchanges. You need to save 1 in case of late injuries

You props take up 4, your 3rd bench player takes up 2 but usally with some kind of rotation, then ur 4th player has to come on and not go off so you can save 1.
Pretty much..

If you are wanting 2 swap out both back rowers you are doing it wrong...sure those we have can't go 80 so you can't spell them and bring them back..doesn't work..once off your off if that's what you want to do

Twal is our big minute middle but for some unknown reason played the least minutes of the starting players..didn't play the last trial..I suspect there may be a niggle there somewhere..

It really appeared to me that Madge was trying to match Bellamy’s rotation. Might be wrong but he seemed to make interchanges within minutes of Storm.

We had the cattle to win that game, they were used terribly. I know Garner might be underdone but he should have come on for Kelma in the middle 40 and Peachey used to spell Simpkin for middle 40.

It flat-out made no sense to have wasted our interchange advantage. Dumb.
If you can see this, why can't the coach? Or, is he just inflexible?

My only defence for Madge is that perhaps he is trying to get the fitness of our players up by forcing them to play long minutes. Only way you can get through 60+ minutes is by consistently playing that amount of time in games.

Latest posts

Members online

Back