Use of the Bench

My only defence for Madge is that perhaps he is trying to get the fitness of our players up by forcing them to play long minutes. Only way you can get through 60+ minutes is by consistently playing that amount of time in games.
I agree, although you had a chance here to beat Melbourne.

From NRL.com stats, Twal only played 47 mins and Peachey soaked up his absence with 56 mins on the field.
We didn't bring on a forward to replace Twal who is easily our best defensive unit out there.
No wonder if all fell to bits once Twal didn't return.
The main trouble is that Twal did return, well, not that I didn't want him on the field, rather that he is the only big minutes middle player that we have and two interchanges were used on him. These rare middles provide the opportunity to allow more dynamic use of the bench, yet our coaches used an unnecessary extra one on him.

Further to that, he returned after Melbourne had already clawed back domination in the middle, so another waste as he wasn't going to provide any impetus for points when needed.

My only defence for Madge is that perhaps he is trying to get the fitness of our players up by forcing them to play long minutes. Only way you can get through 60+ minutes is by consistently playing that amount of time in games.
Was thinking the same. But on the other hand it's the first game - you'd think you would just go all out to get the win and start out the season on the right foot. Plus they'd have known it would be a good chance to notch up a win against the Storm with the players they were missing.

All the stupid comments about our 4th bench player only playing 10 minutes. With limited interchange this is standard.

Storm onky had 15 players available or Morea only played 16 mins

Penriths 4th bench player had 14 mins
Manlys 4th bench player 8 mins
Sharks 12
Brisbane 8
Souths 22
Knights 5
Etc etc

Unless theis is injuries your 4th player gets limited minutes because you only have 8 interchanges. You need to save 1 in case of late injuries

You props take up 4, your 3rd bench player takes up 2 but usally with some kind of rotation, then ur 4th player has to come on and not go off so you can save 1.

The purpose of the bench players is to prevent the costly fatigue factor or insert impact.

We spent 2 interchanges on our lock formation which this key position was changed 3 times in a structured way. No top line club does that.

Joe started at lock
Stefano off, Peach into lock, Joe into Prop
Simpkin off, Peach into Hooker, Seyfarth into lock

1 x Backrow changed once Garner for Kelma

4 x Prop rotation (excluding lock shift) - Musgrove on for Twal, Twal on for Musgrove, Stefano on for Joe, Joe on for Twal

Using less minutes and only 7 rotations only works if the players on the park can sustain that, Simpkin and Kelma were gassed well before being interchanged the legs were worn in the 1st half. Garner should've had more time on the park for Kelma as he was buggered well before the 70th minute.

I'm all for playing follow the leader & do what every other team does if it suits our situation it may benefit these kids as the season goes on getting more miles in the legs, but our formation/rotation wasn't great against the Storm.

All the stupid comments about our 4th bench player only playing 10 minutes. With limited interchange this is standard.

Storm onky had 15 players available or Morea only played 16 mins

Penriths 4th bench player had 14 mins
Manlys 4th bench player 8 mins
Sharks 12
Brisbane 8
Souths 22
Knights 5
Etc etc

Unless theis is injuries your 4th player gets limited minutes because you only have 8 interchanges. You need to save 1 in case of late injuries

You props take up 4, your 3rd bench player takes up 2 but usally with some kind of rotation, then ur 4th player has to come on and not go off so you can save 1.
This is true when facing 17.
We weren’t.
We were presented with any opportunity to put fresh legs against tired at a rate outside of normal practice.
The fact that they found strategic advantage when we should have been the more favoured certainly points towards poor tactical decisions.
Thats a game that got away. Hoping we don’t rue it come rnd25.

The bench was poorly selected and even more poorly executed.

We need a hooker rotation and a starting ball playing lock. What we got was some bastardised version of a modern game plan and it cost us the win imo.

I'm okay with having Peachey off the bench and then you rotate Joe O or Twal into the prop role.

We need another hooker on the bench though.

I'm okay with having Peachey off the bench and then you rotate Joe O or Twal into the prop role.

We need another hooker on the bench though.
Just don't see peachey as a bench player. He needs to work into a game to be at his best.

Just don't see peachey as a bench player. He needs to work into a game to be at his best.

You might be right as well. The squad looks unbalanced to me if Peachey is playing as an 80 minute per game lock.

2 bench props
1 bench hooker
Who else do you play here.

I don't know if Peachey at 13 is a big issue. I think we need a lot more from our spine.

You might be right as well. The squad looks unbalanced to me if Peachey is playing as an 80 minute per game lock.

2 bench props
1 bench hooker
Who else do you play here.

I don't know if Peachey at 13 is a big issue. I think we need a lot more from our spine.
We actually need a spine. All we have now is a spine who talks the talk but doesn't walk it

Club in early turmoil
It wouldn't be the NRL without drama - even after one round.

Senior players at one losing club last weekend are openly questioning their coach's use of the interchange, which was baffling at best.

They are also referring to one of their team-mates - behind his back of course - as a 'cat'.

Early days… but not good signs.

This is the bit that still baffles me after round 1.

A.massive "Own Goal"

We need to get smarter in the coaches box,

Better descissions required.

Club in early turmoil
It wouldn't be the NRL without drama - even after one round.

Senior players at one losing club last weekend are openly questioning their coach's use of the interchange, which was baffling at best.

They are also referring to one of their team-mates - behind his back of course - as a 'cat'.

Early days… but not good signs.

Surprised that it has taken this long for the bleeding obvious bench use failure over years to find it's way into the public domain.

The cat bit is intriguing.

listen to Hughes' interview, he specifically mentions that they were sliding too hard. Sliding is fine but everyone needs to slide together.
That’s the way I saw it. They were rattled because they had no time to get the D line set after that run by Nelson which attracted a lot of attention.
We saw the same reaction to a similar circumstance during the Manly trial. A quick ptb and Turbo running off Cherry Evans left shoulder.
Why do they get rattled? Lack of experience. I doubt sacking the coach will make the difference. What they need is game time together and repetitive drill, so that they can react quicker without thinking.

Surprised that it has taken this long for the bleeding obvious bench use failure over years to find it's way into the public domain.

The cat bit is intriguing.

Who's the club in turmoil?
Who's the Senior players?

It is just another attack on the WT by the Media. But this time it's in disguise.

It is amateurish reporting with the intent of giving the WT no Respite.

Media outlets should never report information if a source is not to be named.

It seems that the media has behaved irresponsibly again, when the media has a responsiliry to confirm the story,

They must also explain in the story why the source requested anonymity

Latest posts

Back