Wests Tigers Home Ground Mega Thread

Sporting codes welcome prospect of $300m roof at Accor Stadium

Sporting codes welcome prospect of $300m roof at Accor Stadium
ByChristian Nicolussi, Alexandra Smith and Iain Payten
April 4, 2024 — 4.20pm

The NSW government has commissioned a feasibility study into building a $300 million roof over Accor Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park.

Four years after former premier Gladys Berejiklian scrapped a planned $810 million major redevelopment of the stadium, the issue of renovating the venue is back on the agenda.

A spokesperson for Minister for Sport Steve Kamper confirmed Venues NSW was “finalising a business case on a roof at Accor Stadium”.

“The feasibility study is part of the business case which was started by the former government in 2022,” he said, although he added the government’s No.1 priority remained “helping people with the cost of living”.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys said he had seen first hand the benefits of a stadium roof at the NRL season-opener at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas last month.

“Before I went to Allegiant Stadium, I couldn’t see the benefits of having a roof,” V’landys said. “But in Vegas, when heavy winds had shut the airport and roofs were being blown off houses, you wouldn’t have known inside the stadium. The roof also keeps the atmosphere within the stadium. I wasn’t a fan, but I am now.”

The venue’s major tenants – including NRL clubs the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Canterbury Bulldogs, Football Federation Australia and Rugby Australia – were asked for their feedback as part of the study.

Wests Tigers chief executive Shane Richardson, who spent more than a decade as the boss at South Sydney, said he had long been pushing for the stadium to have a roof.

”It’s essential for Sydney to have a stadium with a roof on it – it would be a massive attraction to any club,” he said.

“It’s also great for fans. It’s expected to be wet in Sydney this weekend, and that will hurt the gate for games Friday and Saturday.”

Inclement weather has also caused problems for non-sport events at the stadium, with thunder and lightning having delayed the start of US pop star Taylor Swift’s first show in February.

South Sydney have a contract in place to play home games at Accor Stadium until 2030, with chief executive Blake Solly saying via a statement: “We’ve long advocated that Venues NSW and the Government need to conclude a plan for Accor Stadium that modernises the experience for our members and fans.

“This feasibility study is hopefully a step in that direction, and we will know sooner than later what the plan is for improvements to the stadium that keep pace with expectations of fans, members and corporate partners.”

A Rugby Australia spokesperson said if a roof could be built in time, it could be influential in helping Sydney win the hosting rights for the 2027 Rugby World Cup final. A decision on the venue will be decided by World Rugby this year.

Accor Stadium, which hosted the 2003 Rugby World Cup final between England and Australia, is one of three venues being considered, along with the Melbourne Cricket Ground and Perth’s Optus Stadium.

Major event spending by state governments will play a key role in the final decision.

“We appreciate the opportunity to participate in the study, and we will see what comes out of that work,”
A roof over Accor Stadium...what a great idea.
It would be absolutely perfect for Aussie Rules and motorcycle Speedway [ I'm pretty sure the Aust. Speedway Sidecar C'ship at Tamworth tonight and tomorrow night will have to be delayed due to the rain] but still terrible for spectators of NRL and Soccer.
And I get the feeling V'landys speaks a lot of :poop: when he says he "couldn't see the benefit of having a roof".
Does his friggin house have a roof?

Yep, Parramatta has really gone out full steam to attract the high $$$ customers, while it seems the Aussie Battler has to contend with the full force of the sun in their eyes.
It seems they didn't put much thought into what they provided for 'everyone'.

A few stadiums recently have done that, North Queensland is similar, but I am not sure exactly to what degree. But it is quite obvious that these stadiums are designed for the corporate dollar, not the regular fans. The split between the two is the ideal way to do it, give corporates a section on either side (in the back rows of the lower deck), or a smaller middle level inbetween the lower and upper decks, and allow fans to have access to all sides of the stadium. Best of both worlds.

Reactions: BZN
It would be absolutely perfect for Aussie Rules and motorcycle Speedway [ I'm pretty sure the Aust. Speedway Sidecar C'ship at Tamworth tonight and tomorrow night will have to be delayed due to the rain] but still terrible for spectators of NRL and Soccer.
And I get the feeling V'landys speaks a lot of :poop: when he says he "couldn't see the benefit of having a roof".
Yeah LOLed when I read his thoughts on the roof... Who'd of thunk they (rooves/roofs? ) keep bad weather out
I'd love to go to a game at a stadium with a roof.
I was always getting in trouble as a kid for kicking the footy on the roof.. Dad reckoned it would crack tiles but the pinched roof was great.. auto ball return

• Haha
I think he was referring to the benefit of being able to watch a game of footy in comfort during a cyclone. LOL

I have been thinking.

We need full closure on this. For ages the home ground argument has stilted our club. Not giving us clear development goals or a settled demographic.

We can't decide, so I appeal to our club to pick a home ground and stick. Leichaert, Sydney stadium, the outdoor kids park at Parramatta, a kebab stand at Lidcombe. Whereever it is, let us stay there and stick to it.

What about Campbelltown then? I mean that was Wests home ground for a fair while. I love Campbelltown and the surrounding area is booming. Yet the area hasn't taken to the Tigers and the Tigers haven't taken to it.

So, to the NRL governing body. We need the next team to be located in that area.... May I present to you:

The Macarthur Mullets!
mullet.png
Cmon NRL, Give Ryan Pappenheusen the home he deserves. Lets build a new team that suits Ricky Stewart more then Canberra. Lets Grow, Mullets!

I have been thinking.

We need full closure on this. For ages the home ground argument has stilted our club. Not giving us clear development goals or a settled demographic.

We can't decide, so I appeal to our club to pick a home ground and stick. Leichaert, Sydney stadium, the outdoor kids park at Parramatta, a kebab stand at Lidcombe. Whereever it is, let us stay there and stick to it.

What about Campbelltown then? I mean that was Wests home ground for a fair while. I love Campbelltown and the surrounding area is booming. Yet the area hasn't taken to the Tigers and the Tigers haven't taken to it.

So, to the NRL governing body. We need the next team to be located in that area.... May I present to you:

The Macarthur Mullets!
View attachment 11328
Cmon NRL, Give Ryan Pappenheusen the home he deserves. Lets build a new team that suits Ricky Stewart more then Canberra. Lets Grow, Mullets!
s
I have been thinking.

The Macarthur Mullets!
View attachment 11328
So, who is this dude?

I have been thinking.

The Macarthur Mullets!
View attachment 11328
Cmon NRL, Give Ryan Pappenheusen the home he deserves. Lets build a new team that suits Ricky Stewart more then Canberra. Let’s Grow, Mullets!
I prefer the Lumeah longnecks

One of Sydney's most iconic sporting grounds – “starved of funds” – could be thrown a lifeline in order to bring it back from the brink after a Sydney council’s bid for state government funding for vital upgrades.
Inner West Council is seeking a $6.22m to fund upgraded facilities, playing areas or spaces for sport, specifically for women and girls, at the Iconic Leichhardt Oval.
The bid was made to secure the ground as a sporting haven for women’s sporting teams for “decades to come”.
The Play Our Way Program State Government grant could allow the council to improve on a variety of women’s amenities with installation of modern female-friendly change rooms to be the highest priority in the development.
b355902ded3a641fab66e0de2a2724a27cef9757.jpg

NRL: Inner West Council Mayor Darcy Byrne has called for the NSW Government to reallocate funds from the Penrith Stadium redevelopment to Leichhardt Oval to save rugby league in the Inner West/
Quality of the female change rooms has been a major mark against the oval, after reports broke that female teams would have to change in tents and were subject to bathrooms that had more urinals then cubicles.
If approved, the funding would be the first NSW Government cash injectiong Leichhardt Oval has seen in 15-years.
Inner West Mayor Darcy Byrne has previously made desperate pleas to receive 10 per cent of funding allocated to Penrith’s stadium, however, his proposal was denied by the NSW Government.
Leichhardt oval applies for government grant

Leichhardt oval applies for government grant
Mayor Darcy Byrne

Mayor Darcy Byrne
Previously labelled “substandard for women’s sport” Mr Byrne said he was eager to establishb a women’s sport hub at the historic site.
“We’re not looking for a fancy stadium, we’re looking for a basic upgrade that will keep this institution up and running,” he said.

“Our highest priority is fixing the change rooms … [Leichhardt Oval] doesn’t have female friendly change rooms, so it’s not possible for two teams to be in there at a time.”
Inner West Council will be seeking $6.22m of the $200 million government grant for the refurbishing of the ground floor of the existing stadium to incorporate new women’s amenities for players as well as for referees.
Despite lack of funds, council has continued to invest in Leichhardt Oval, injecting over $5m in improvements to the ground in recent years that has improved basic amenities.

The NSW Govt has announced the release of a 10,000 home and mixed use development at Bradfield City Centre near the new Badgerys Creek 24hr Airport. There will be a pool and park as well as job creating businesses. Any reason why there couldn't be a Weststigers Super Centre - Stadium, Club, COE, Wave Park, white water center and a huge WTs emblem on the ground so the first site visitors have of Australia and NSW is a WTs' emblem?

The NSW Govt has announced the release of a 10,000 home and mixed use development at Bradfield City Centre near the new Badgerys Creek 24hr Airport. There will be a pool and park as well as job creating businesses. Any reason why there couldn't be a Weststigers Super Centre - Stadium, Club, COE, Wave Park, white water center and a huge WTs emblem on the ground so the first site visitors have of Australia and NSW is a WTs' emblem?
Why would anyone think having a WT logo near the airport is important t anything or anyone?

Ive been saying this for years...pick one ground if some dont like it too bad.
Plenty in these new save LO FACEBOOK pages telling us they only go to LO...its no different, see ya later
Lol, you want the club to die, do you?

There is no way the club will EVER only play out of one home ground and remain viable. If they neglect the fans and members then the club will crumble.

So what if there's 800 corporates there if there's only 5000 fans.

The only stadium members currently want to watch WT matches at is LO. CSS has the opportunity this weekend to show that they too care about and want to watch footy.

Even the genious Pascoe had the idea of playing at Olympic Park but he had to eventually admit defeat, and moved us to an even worse stadium at parramatta. This season is the first where what the members want has been offered to us for a very long time.

Pascoe’s concord gym probably

Lol, you want the club to die, do you?

There is no way the club will EVER only play out of one home ground and remain viable. If they neglect the fans and members then the club will crumble.

So what if there's 800 corporates there if there's only 5000 fans.

The only stadium members currently want to watch WT matches at is LO. CSS has the opportunity this weekend to show that they too care about and want to watch footy.

Even the genious Pascoe had the idea of playing at Olympic Park but he had to eventually admit defeat, and moved us to an even worse stadium at parramatta. This season is the first where what the members want has been offered to us for a very long time.
With the south west/Campbelltown area having been pretty well ignored in the way of promotion till now, it may be a bit of a stretch to expect hordes of people to go to CSS on Sunday to watch a depleted WTs play.
And I reckon most open-minded people that aren't regular one-eyed supporters would be expecting St. George to win anyway, as I am.
But I of course would love to be proven wrong in all I have written in this post.
I'll be watching on Kayo 300 klms. away and cheering the Tigers on so loudly my Mrs. will get the poos with me and leave the room, as she often does.

With the south west/Campbelltown area having been pretty well ignored in the way of promotion till now, it may be a bit of a stretch to expect hordes of people to go to CSS on Sunday to watch a depleted WTs play.
And I reckon most open-minded people that aren't regular one-eyed supporters would be expecting St. George to win anyway, as I am.
But I of course would love to be proven wrong in all I have written in this post.
I'll be watching on Kayo 300 klms. away and cheering the Tigers on so loudly my Mrs. will get the poos with me and leave the room, as she often does.
I'm not sure you realise that nearly all advertising, school visits etc that WT have done in the last decade has been in the south west? They hardly spend a cent, a minute in the inner west. As they don't really need to. The fans will largely show up at LO regardless. Of course form and weather play a part.

Absolutely no excuse for the south west this weekend. Team in decent form, decent weather, sydney opponent. Anything under 14k is massively disrespectful to WT.

Members online

Back