Wests Tigers - Trash or Treasure

bbobb

Lots of peeps disappointed with our ladder position and after 9 years - rightly so. I think Justin Pascoe wants to the Tigers to be a destination of choice but we are more like the last chance hotel. Other clubs trash become our treasure. It’s ok to have the odd player who was wanted for whatever reason. New club - new start, but we have nearly built an entire roster on it.

JRey - hadn’t played in the preceding 12 months at the Dogs before we signed him And was coming off contract . We basically doubled their offer. Yes he was still wanted at Dogs but not for the price or tenure of contract.

MBye - Was being shopped around by the Dogs. Huge back ended contract that we are paying for and was failing to spark the Dogs attack. It’s hard to believe that their attack was worse then than it is now.

BJ - Unwanted by the Raiders. Was being forced out with the purchase of Curtis Scott. I think we probably paid overs for him and gave him 4 years.

Eiso- Not wanted by Penrith.

Clark - see above

Twal - Not 100% sure but I think they released him to us as he was excess

Mataulino - was already struggling with significant knee issues when he arrived from Warriors

Doueihi - Could have probably stayed with Rabbits but was unlikely to be in starting 17 unless through injury.

Jennings - unwanted at Souths

Taylor - Unwanted at Penrith. Playing reserve grade

McQueen - not sure If we signed him prior to or after his neck injury but was not going to be wanted.

Robbie and Benji - their story is a bit different but without the Tigers offering them a place probably would have both retired in 2018.

There are probably others in the squad as well

Melbourne on the other hand have a core group of stars and buy the odd discard with the right attitude and that improves those players. E.g. Brenko Lee, Justin Olam, Tom Eisenhuth etc. We have tended to buy discards as marquee signings and that doesn’t really work.

@bbobb said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1211872) said:
Lots of peeps disappointed with our ladder position and after 9 years - rightly so. I think Justin Pascoe wants to the Tigers to be a destination of choice but we are more like the last chance hotel. Other clubs trash become our treasure. It’s ok to have the odd player who was wanted for whatever reason. New club - new start, but we have nearly built an entire roster on it.

JRey - hadn’t played in the preceding 12 months at the Dogs before we signed him And was coming off contract . We basically doubled their offer. Yes he was still wanted at Dogs but not for the price or tenure of contract.

MBye - Was being shopped around by the Dogs. Huge back ended contract that we are paying for and was failing to spark the Dogs attack. It’s hard to believe that their attack was worse then than it is now.

BJ - Unwanted by the Raiders. Was being forced out with the purchase of Curtis Scott. I think we probably paid overs for him and gave him 4 years.

Clark - see above

Mataulino - was already struggling with significant knee issues when he arrived from Warriors

Doueihi - Could have probably stayed with Rabbits but was unlikely to be in starting 17 unless through injury.

McQueen - not sure If we signed him prior to or after his neck injury but was not going to be wanted.

Robbie and Benji - their story is a bit different but without the Tigers offering them a place probably would have both retired in 2018.

Melbourne on the other hand have a core group of stars and buy the odd discard with the right attitude and that improves those players. E.g. Brenko Lee, Justin Olam, Tom Eisenhuth etc. We have tended to buy discards as marquee signings and that doesn’t really work.

Our recruitment is too reactionary.

@cochise said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1211874) said:

Clark - see above

Desperation I'd call it :angry:

Looking at Knights recruitment vs ours if funny.

How they ended up with players like Klemmer, Pearce, Ponga etc. is beyond me.

They would have ended up dudds here anyway

@tigeress said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1211898) said:

Clark - see above

Our strategy is to sign players released by other clubs.

@cochise said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1211911) said:

Clark - see above

Unwanted by their current club, some of these possibly turn out to be ok, but the older ones who have had injuries - they are the ones we end up with- Wake up Wests Tigers

Clark - see above

We’re the vultures of the NRL. We feed on the carcasses of other clubs discarded players.

@avocadoontoast said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1211918) said:

Clark - see above

We’re the vultures of the NRL. We feed on the carcasses of other clubs discarded players.

I believe we are looking for players subsidised by other clubs, but it comes across as having no real plan moving forward

You asked the question ...I'll answer it

Trailer Park Trash of the NRL for the last 10 seasons

@cochise said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1211922) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1211918) said:

Clark - see above

I believe we are looking for players subsidised by other clubs, but it comes across as having no real plan moving forward

We are looking for players who are either a) not wanted by their own club or b) looking for an opportunity to play first grade because they’re not good enough to break into the top side. That’s our entire strategy. It’s moneyball without the smart stuff.

@avocadoontoast said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1211934) said:
@cochise said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1211922) said:

Clark - see above

It’s moneyball without the smart stuff.

And in one line you have outlined the WTs problems - plain and simple.

A procession of coaches, culture changes and rebuilds but without the cattle we always go back to square .

Sack en all. From the top down.
Roosters have cheika talking to players in their sheds and we have a wiggle lmao

BJ is a perfect example of terrible decisions making by our club. It has been obvious to everyone that we needed hard headed, disciplined leaders at the club. Anyway BJ pops up in the market place and we desperately throw all our remaining cap space at him. Okay the guy can score a try, but he has a long history of brain snaps and going missing. He is not guy you rebuild a club around. Different story if your cub is firing and your looking for a match winner, but in a club on struggle street a terrible signing

@supercoach said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1212048) said:
BJ is a perfect example of terrible decisions making by our club. It has been obvious to everyone that we needed hard headed, disciplined leaders at the club. Anyway BJ pops up in the market place and we desperately throw all our remaining cap space at him. Okay the guy can score a try, but he has a long history of brain snaps and going missing. He is not guy you rebuild a club around. Different story if your cub is firing and your looking for a match winner, but in a club on struggle street a terrible signing

Yep
Garbage signing

@supercoach said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1212048) said:

BJ has been a terrible signing.

@PJ said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1212037) said:
Roosters have cheika talking to players in their sheds and we have a wiggle lmao

Cheika has been part of the coaching panel at the RORTERS for quite sometime our Wiggle is a true supporter of our club unlike some on this forum

@PJ said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1212037) said:

The Wiggle would be of more value than Chieka.......he turned the Wallabies into a rabble.

Clark - see above

Add Tim Grant to that list. Let go by Souths for return of Sam Burgess.

What is glaringly obvious to some is the way we picked up these players as you mentioned above.

What isn’t so obvious is how these players are let go from their clubs.

This is our problem right here.

JRey - hadn’t played in the preceding 12 months at the Dogs before we signed him And was coming off contract . We basically doubled their offer. Yes he was still wanted at Dogs but not for the price or tenure of contract. Let go following the signing of Foran.
MBye - Was being shopped around by the Dogs. Huge back ended contract that we are paying for and was failing to spark the Dogs attack. It’s hard to believe that their attack was worse then than it is now. Unique circumstances but basically to Free cap space for Foran and Woods signings from previous year.
BJ - Unwanted by the Raiders. Was being forced out with the purchase of Curtis Scott. I think we probably paid overs for him and gave him 4 years. Nothing to add here, spot on. This is the trend I’m highlighting.
Eiso- Not wanted by Penrith, same as below.
Clark - others preferred, cap space better off for other players.
Twal - not sure he was replaced in their squad by anyone prehaps the re recruiting of Junior Paulo.
Mataulino - one more year on contract but not sure who replaced him in the starting line up, research req.
Doueihi - Moved on following the preseason signing of Latrell Mitchell.
Jennings - Moved on the following year after the mid season signing of James Roberts, played out that year.
Taylor - Moved on, mid year following the signing of Merrin commencing, was dropped to reserves early rounds.
McQueen - Moved on, the following year the club signed proctor. Played 1 year with both backrowers.

Sorry for the long winded response, but the pattern ensuing is all these players are replaced in their squad by an improving player prior to being released.

How is this possible? Are these teams over the cap and hope to move on players prior to needing to be under or are these teams under the cap and are hoping to move on these players so they can strengthen other areas?

We just keep this door open for these teams.

Do we take them on based on their current standing not their potential or past standing? (And for Pete’s sake offer them a contract accordingly?

Or do we shut the door on these signings completely and find out once and for all whether these clubs can afford these players to remain in their salary cap?

@Milky said in [Wests Tigers \- Trash or Treasure](/post/1211899) said:
Looking at Knights recruitment vs ours if funny.

How they ended up with players like Klemmer, Pearce, Ponga etc. is beyond me.

They would have ended up dudds here anyway

They had the media campaigning for players to join them , fairly easy to recruit when you have via channel 9 behind them from Joey and fox via Matty , Newcastle an good option to join .

I give the following example , when Newcastle were trying to recruit (other than Gallen at the time who was playing at sharks and said Pearce to not join a crap club) no one came out and said for players not to join them , now look at dogs and the media pieces for Cotric to remain at raiders and not join the dogs . Or the peiced basically saying Barrett shouldn’t join doses . Says it all really

Clark - see above

I agree but also due to panic . They panicked when the ‘big 3’ left and I think they panicked Latrell and couple of others didn’t eventuate and then got BJ as they panicked thinking they needed some sort of kill

Back