Where does Moltzen fit in?

king_sirro

Is this kid going to be left behind at the Tigers? He's shown he can handle fullback, but he doesnt have the running game needed, and its exactly the same with him in the centres, (he's not a centre at all), so that leaves the halves. I have no doubt he's a good 5/8, but the club has said they see Lui as the future with Benji and there's also the Finch rumours. And if we get Inu or Tuamata, his chances of playing fullback will be very slim, as i see Taumata as a great number 1 prospect.

I'd hate to see him disappear as he's really grown on me, but under no circumstances do i want him in the centres over Ayshford, Davis or Pritchard.

Thinking the same thing.

Moltzen permanently at 14 with 3 forwards (eg. Laurie, Schirnack, Davidson) filling the other 3 bench spots would work for me.

Don;t know if it would be what Moltzen would want though.

Sheens put this guy at fullback in Round 1 and in the halves at other times during the year.
This was a kid with about 3 games experience, yet Sheens trusts him with not only the number 1 spot (over people like McDonnell and Gallant) but also the number 7 (shafting Benji).

Now you tell me that Sheens doesn't have plans for Moltzen.

There was only one other player that got attention like Moltzen, that was Benji Marshall. Even Robbie had to work his way into first grade.

I suspect (going off previous media articles) that Sheens sees Moltzen as a fullback.
Moltz is only 20 and he will no doubt grow a lot over the next few years, just like Lawrence.

@Kul said:
Sheens put this guy at fullback in Round 1 and in the halves at other times during the year.
This was a kid with about 3 games experience, yet Sheens trusts him with not only the number 1 spot (over people like McDonnell and Gallant) but also the number 7 (shafting Benji).

There was only one other player that got attention like Moltzen, that was Benji Marshall. Even Robbie had to work his way into first grade.

I suspect (going off previous media articles) that Sheens sees Moltzen as a fullback.
Moltz is only 20 and he will no doubt grow a lot over the next few years, just like Lawrence.

Cannot argue with any of that Kul. The coaching staff think very highly of him and while they were not afraid to drop him last year, he did train very hard during the offseason and has matured somewhat this year. He'll again improve with another offseason and will be somewhere in the 17 without doubt. He has utility value so where he finally ends up depends on other players like Ayshford, Lui, Taumata etc IMO.

And what happens to Blake Lazarus?

We've got young talent coming out of our ears, unfortunately they all play in the same positions!

Lui is around 2 years away IMO from being concrete into the top 17\. His size is the most concerning for me. I would imagine he will be part of the "next generation" to sweep through. He has not done any time in State Cup level that i can recall(stand to be corrected here). Plenty can happen between now and then, and there is plenty of footy to be played in the meantime by both Moltz and Lui.
For all we know at this stage, Marshall could well and truly have moved on by then. Another thing to keep in mind is to create some depth for IF Marshall gets injured. We all know from the past few seasons what has happened when Marshall had been out due to injuries. There had been a failure in some sort of contingency plan to fill the void.
I think there is still plenty of speculation pending how well Lazarus recovers from his knee operations which could be a major part of the grand plan.

I have an uneasy feeling that Moltzen could become the new Halatau….

I think he should be in the halves at least the rest of this year....Lets see if a half/5/8th combination that can actually have a chance of gelling....

@Kul said:

Lazarus was shifted to fullback in NYC from being a PremierLeague half.
Moltzen was shifted to half in NYC from being a PremierLeague half.

ONLY when Lazarus was injured was Moltzen shifted to a NYC fullback to cover him.

So what i can gather from these movements is Sheens would've preferred Lazarus at fullback and Moltzen in the halves. But no one could foresee injuries etc. and Sheens had to fast track Moltzen to replace an injured Lazarus.
But as time goes on i think Sheens will need to reconfigure his plans to however things pan out. Either way, i hope to one day see both Moltzen and Lazarus back together running out onto the field at the same time.

@Geo. said:

I think he should be in the halves at least the rest of this year....Lets see if a half/5/8th combination that can actually have a chance of gelling....

No chance!!
Halatau is a jack of all trades and master of none.
Moltzen will become a master of whatever is thrown his way.
There is a difference.

@crouching_tiger said:
@Geo. said:

No chance!!
Halatau is a jack of all trades and master of none.
Moltzen will become a master of whatever is thrown his way.
There is a difference.

I didn't mean talent wise…I meant Coach Sheens may well use him or Ayshford in a similar way as he has Halatau in recent seasons....filling holes rather than settling in one position...You know the old weaken a stregth to strengthen a weakness...

Moltzen is a much better half than he is a centre or fullback....He could develop into a top class half we have been crying out for since Prince....If he is allowed....

@king sirro said:
Is this kid going to be left behind at the Tigers? He's shown he can handle fullback, but he doesnt have the running game needed, and its exactly the same with him in the centres, (he's not a centre at all), so that leaves the halves. I have no doubt he's a good 5/8, but the club has said they see Lui as the future with Benji and there's also the Finch rumours. And if we get Inu or Tuamata, his chances of playing fullback will be very slim, as i see Taumata as a great number 1 prospect.

I'd hate to see him disappear as he's really grown on me, but under no circumstances do i want him in the centres over Ayshford, Davis or Pritchard.

very well put ..

I have no idea where he will end up - personally I don't like him at fullback and would like to see Lui or someone else in the halves along with Benji.

Imo he has looked alright in the centres and I think that could work.

He is a good player and it will be interesting where he ends up.

@Kul said:

Spot on Kul. As far as i see things, Moltzen is first choice at the back assuming Taumata is here and firing. No disrespect to Gallant who is definitely the better player at fullback at the moment, but Moltzen is the number one choice and surely things remain that way next season despite the presence of Lazuras who'll have to unseat Timmy.

Moltzen's instinctiveness at the back will improve, as will his overall game.

well i could be wrong ,,,but my mail says moltz hasnt been offered a contract yet ….and he could be joining his mate shannon at the knights ....
otherwise i only see him as a fill in halfback if we do manage to sign a decent number 7

@tiger tigers said:
well i could be wrong ,,,but my mail says moltz hasnt been offered a contract yet ….and he could be joining his mate shannon at the knights ....
otherwise i only see him as a fill in halfback if we do manage to sign a decent number 7

:astonished:

surely that's not the case

I think Moltzon is a star as do most on here
Sheens will find room for him in the side
Its hard to speculate but i could see him playing centre with Lawernce
With Ayshford bulking up in the off season i rekon he would be a great lock

It will be clearer with these other signings obviously

Members online

Back