Who do you think will be the other "couple" of backs we sign

anderson_silva

on WT TV sheens said there will be another couple of outside backs announced soon, there isnt alot of quality left out there lett lulia vuna brown, so who do you think it will be?

I don't know whether they will all be backs? I was under the impression it was just signings in general.

I am hoping for:

- Taumata
- Inu
- Ross

i think parra want to release inu…

we have signed daniela. now i hope we dont sign an outside back that has a first name of daniel :neutral_face:

we dont really need many outside backs, but if we are going to buy someone probaly Inu and Taumata and in the forwards we should try sign Ben Ross

If we do sign any outside backs I have a feeling it will be Brett Kearney. Sheens is always been a fan, said he was the best trainer in the City team last year, said he had a great work ethic as well and was the player he was most impressed with.

The guy hasnt been re-signed with yet by the Sharks who I dont think would be able to afford to re-sign him.

@steven_tiger said:
I don't know whether they will all be backs? I was under the impression it was just signings in general.

I am hoping for:

- Taumata
- Inu
- Ross

thats what im hoping for too. Inu stands out though.

we also need a halfback

A tale of two halves positions - six appeals to Benji
Glenn Jackson | July 2, 2009

Benji Marshall believes the Wests Tigers should chase a top-class halfback to partner him for next season and beyond - and while somewhat relieved and "relaxed" his stint in the key playmaking position has been shelved, he is yet to give up hope of becoming a long-term No.7.

After Tigers coach Tim Sheens aborted - for now - his plan to shift Marshall into a permanent halfback role, the Kiwis captain admitted that he never thought the job would be as tough as it was. "My biggest asset is my running game, and it's taken that away a little bit," he told the Herald yesterday. "I've been ball-playing a bit more, and I haven't minded it - it's helped me build my leadership and talk more - but I feel I made my name on the back of my running game. Hopefully going back to six will give me an opportunity to go back to my running game. It's been good for me for my confidence as well this week. I'll still put in all the talk and help lead the team around. I'll just be two passes wide.

"I questioned it [Sheens's decision to end the experiment] at first, but just for the benefit of the team, it's the best thing for me to go back to five-eighth and get a bit of confidence back."

While the footballer in him will be relieved his game will likely lift as a result, the ego in Marshall would no doubt have been disappointed he could not make the transition work. And for that reason, he could not rule out returning to halfback in the future.

"It's a challenge, and I'm the type of person who likes having a challenge," Marshall said. "People can say that I can't play seven and that always makes me try and prove them wrong. As much as I enjoy a challenge, it was tough. I never thought it would be that tough."

As a result, Marshall would like to see the club chase a classic halfback to partner him - which he has not had since 2006, Scott Prince's last season with the club.

"It would make my job easier," Marshall said. "I didn't realise how much I would miss Princey. Obviously I'm not sure how our situation is [with the salary cap] but for us to have a successful club … I'd love to be able to play five-eighth, and play that 2005 flamboyant style."

Since 2005, when the Tigers won the premiership largely thanks to Prince's guile and Marshall's brilliance, they have not made the finals. Sheens this year had attempted to bring Marshall into the game more by playing him at halfback, and even though he has been schooled by Team of the Century No.7 Andrew Johns, the experiment could hardly be called a success, with Marshall being consistently inconsistent much of the time

"I guess it was just up and down," Marshall said. "From good games to terrible games to games in between. It's been a big ask to move to seven and lead the team and focus on everyone else instead of focusing on myself. I'm fairly relaxed about going back to five-eighth.

"It relieves a bit of pressure - I don't feel like the pressure's on all the time. It will give me a good opportunity to go back to my normal position."

@hadds75 said:
If we do sign any outside backs I have a feeling it will be Brett Kearney. Sheens is always been a fan, said he was the best trainer in the City team last year, said he had a great work ethic as well and was the player he was most impressed with.

The guy hasnt been re-signed with yet by the Sharks who I dont think would be able to afford to re-sign him.

Kearney played for Country & I think it was Laurie Daley your quoting there as Daley was the Country coach & was very impressed with him.

But I hope we are looking at him… he's a real good player

Brett Kearney reminds me of Hodgo. :sunglasses:
both go hard and never say die.
if he does come to wests-tigers, it would be very good.
but it may come down to a salary cap issue. :unamused: as we have no idea if west-tigers are going to have ' cap issues' in 2010\. :imp:

@AmericanHistoryX said:
@steven_tiger said:

I am hoping for:

- Taumata
- Inu
- Ross

thats what im hoping for too. Inu stands out though.

Yeah I'd be happy with 2 out of those 3\. For a decent fullback Kearney has gone under the radar this year with his injury so it's hard to know whether we're looking at him or not.

arana taumata WILL be one of them.

and i get the feeling we will also sign a sharkie

@Tigerdale said:

That will do,I really hope Arana is a done deal,he could be anything when his head is sorted.

@Tigerdale said:

If u mean Kearney, that could be a sensation. If he's going to get some luck injury wise, than his signing could be as important to us as Prince's.

1.Kearney
2.Tuiaki
3.Ayshford
4.Lawrence
5.Tupou/Daniela
6.Moltzen
7.Marshall

Kearney would be perfect running off Benji and Moltzen, and hunting up the middle Slater like to take advantage of Robbie's skill.

Kearney would be a great signing but do we really need anymore backs??

I would prefer if our our energy go at signing a couple of prop forwards rather than a couple of backs

Ive just read Cronulla have actually filled there 25, and are obviously sticking with the Nat Stapleton guy, so Brett Kearney wont be a Shark next year.

hmmm kearney would be a great signing ,,, he reads the play well and talks a lot in defence, just like the little master used to ….

and the people who would like ben ross ... sorry imo he is soft ,and with his neck injury he would be a liabilty....

@tiger tigers said:
hmmm kearney would be a great signing ,,, he reads the play well and talks a lot in defence, just like the little master used to ….

I think hes great. Plays in a backline with no talent at all and shines like nothing else. Hes the type of footballer whose always there. You make a break hes there, a balls on the ground, hes diving on it - etc. Has alot of pace , particularly off the mark.

But we are all running off absolutely nothing - no speculation, but given how much Sheens values a fullback, who knows.

Back