Who Should Coach the Wests Tigers

I would let Madge finish his contract.

If we're gonna speculate on a mid season change I would like Flanagan to be there, though I think Sheens will fill the position for the rest of the season.

It's funny that people keep naming someone who they'd like to see coach this team, like that coach has no choice but to coach this team.

This team is a coach career killer. Once a coach has been at this club, their career as coach is obliterated.

Nobody in their right mind would accept this role. I'm surprised Madge hasn't quit, to be honest. Anything he says goes through the ears & hits a trough.

Last edited:
Look the only reason Madge wants to hold his job is the $ he us on. Has a 3 year deal worth 2.5 million,
The only reason the club keeps him is that they don’t want another 1 million us payout!!!! Board and chairman plus CEO hang your heads in shame

Ciraldo would be the pick but unless he can bring another 3 or 4 young Penrith players with him he would be on a hiding to nothing. It would be career suicide for him

You might be right but on the other hand, we are getting some quality players in Api and Pappalli (and hopefully a few other solid signings will come to fruition over the next 9 months) so I’d like to think the team will be noticeably better next year

People will say Flanagan people will say John Morris*.

My money, $1m on Cooper Cronk or whatever it takes. There has only been one player that has played a grand final literally as a on-field coach. When Bellamy was interviewed he said "cooper questions everything, he makes you think 'well why are we doing this'. He understands every little bit of this game".

The problem with John Morris, I can't see him being a massive upgrade on Madge. He did the rightish things at the Sharks.

The problem with Flanagan is this.... Flanagan took on the Sharks from 16th place under Stewart. But they had a defensive culture, Stewart really got the defense and the front row going, they almost won the finals in 2008? (may have the year wrong). Then all the signings and Injuries and they were tatters.
Flanagan built from that, but it was a team that had the defense right.

Still Flanagan IMHO may be better the Ciraldo depending on if any Panthers travel with Ciraldo. ... OK Cameron if you Bring Luai then your signed.

My money. Cooper Cronk at any price. Even if just an assistant.

*I once said Josh Morris would be a good Assistant coach to work out why we can't get a good pair of Centers.

It's all good to get a new coach, personally I think madge is cooked, there should be some sort of improvement in our squad, but there really hasn't been.
Before we get a new coach though we also first need to tap some blokes on the shoulder. Nofo, Brooks, Tamou, Musgrave, Twal. No point getting a new coach while the same useless spineless players are here. I could not believe Brooks a nine year veteran was content to let Madden a 5 game rookie take charge in attack that was disgusting it was really dissapointing, I don't know why they are attacking the way they are, if it's the coach it's time someone told him to get with the times. Makes me happy Nofo death stared me after last week's game on the Goldie, when I yelled I wish I could be paid as much as him to stare at a football. Iv lost all respect for the vast majority of them. The young players I can understand like Madden makes a few blues but he's trying, it's our senior players that are making me burn they are self serving pretentious prima donnas, who in reality prob wouldn't even make any other first grade side. Sorry for the rant but we've been through 5 coaches nofo and Brooks have been there the whole time and achieved nothing they need to be the first two players punted.

Look the only reason Madge wants to hold his job is the $ he us on. Has a 3 year deal worth 2.5 million,
The only reason the club keeps him is that they don’t want another 1 million us payout!!!! Board and chairman plus CEO hang your heads in shame
Don't think that is right - pretty sure when his head was on the chopping block last year he was given a reprieve with the proviso that if his services were terminated this year due to lack of success there would be no payout. I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure thats what happened.

It's all good to get a new coach, personally I think madge is cooked, there should be some sort of improvement in our squad, but there really hasn't been.
Before we get a new coach though we also first need to tap some blokes on the shoulder. Nofo, Brooks, Tamou, Musgrave, Twal. No point getting a new coach while the same useless spineless players are here. I could not believe Brooks a nine year veteran was content to let Madden a 5 game rookie take charge in attack that was disgusting it was really dissapointing, I don't know why they are attacking the way they are, if it's the coach it's time someone told him to get with the times. Makes me happy Nofo death stared me after last week's game on the Goldie, when I yelled I wish I could be paid as much as him to stare at a football. Iv lost all respect for the vast majority of them. The young players I can understand like Madden makes a few blues but he's trying, it's our senior players that are making me burn they are self serving pretentious prima donnas, who in reality prob wouldn't even make any other first grade side. Sorry for the rant but we've been through 5 coaches nofo and Brooks have been there the whole time and achieved nothing they need to be the first two players punted.
Yep agree on all points.
The only positive I see are our junior results this year, Sheens and so far a couple of good 2023 signings and hopefully more to come.
Ive been a long time defender of Madge but I agree with you that he need to be the first circuit breaker and take the fall …. and soon.
New coach needs to have time for most part of this disaster of a season to restructure the roster, reposition the team mindset and replan approach for The next year.

Yep agree on all points.
The only positive I see are our junior results this year, Sheens and so far a couple of good 2023 signings and hopefully more to come.
Ive been a long time defender of Madge but I agree with you that he need to be the first circuit breaker and take the fall …. and soon.
New coach needs to have time for most part of this disaster of a season to restructure the roster, reposition the team mindset and replan approach for The next year.
Agree 100 percent, but the new coach has to get rid of the long term players or nothing will change. They are interlinked I reckon, if u sack the coach, you should by default sack some players and vice versa.

Doesn't matter who coaches this rabble.

By all means throw in a new coach, gives the players an excuse to play like shit for another year or two.
If I was Maguire I would walk, see you later. Blokes that play without heart, intelligence or passion can't be coached anyway. Dire times. Positive is it cannot get much worse.

Cronk - no chance. Media boy and wouldn't wanna offend his previous clubs in Melb or the Roosters by being seen with an embarrassment like us.

Woolf - think he actually enjoys his work in England. Been following a bit of super league this year and to me he appears settled over there.

Flanagan - I like the way he speaks. A very smart football mind. Definitely upset some of the softer souls because of his checkered past but he could do a job, IF he could get some decent cattle in the team as the current crop aren't up to it.

Morris - big fan of the guy. Appears a good man manager and knows his stuff. He'd be my first choice.

End of the day though, without the right cattle... we aren't improving. Our roster is woeful and majority of our pack are on the way out. My fear is we cannot land some contracts and our depth will be expected to carry the team.
Guys like Pauga replacing Jet and we just continue playing like a RMC team.

Dark times ahead.

The next coach has to be someone who can:

1. Establish a very clear identity / style
2. Develop young players.
3. Develop senior players: you can't have guys making the exact same dumb plays four years into you being their coach.
4. Understand the modern game.

Our choices? People above say Ciraldo...he won't come. No chance.

Cronk for a million? You could offer him two and he would not say yes. He is too smart and knows it would damage his brand. He does not need money.

A realistic option is probably someone like Johnny Morris with Sheens hands on in a mentor role.

The next coach has to be someone who can:

1. Establish a very clear identity / style
2. Develop young players.
3. Develop senior players: you can't have guys making the exact same dumb plays four years into you being their coach.
4. Understand the modern game.

Our choices? People above say Ciraldo...he won't come. No chance.

Cronk for a million? You could offer him two and he would not say yes. He is too smart and knows it would damage his brand. He does not need money.

A realistic option is probably someone like Johnny Morris with Sheens hands on in a mentor role.
sounds like this person perfect for the job is sheens

Back